New 1,2 Metre

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by pmalan1000, 12 Jul 2012.

1. pmalan1000

pmalan1000

Hi People

Finally got the new setup started and filled with water.

Specs :

1,2 x 600 x 600 Display Tank
    1,0 x 450 x 450 Sump Tank
    Bubble Magus Nac 77 Skimmer
    Silver Ceiling Light Unit with 8 Tubes ( 39Watt )

Will post pictures later.

Question I have is this :

I am going to be running a DSB in the Sump. The sump only has 3 chamber with baffles inbetween. Overflow chamber has the skimmer, Middle Chamber has the DSB and last small chamber has the Return Pump.

now, do I need filter media like sponge, floss, socks, Denitration, Phosphate remover, etc.... or

Can the setup run with the DSB and 30KG Live Rock without any other filter media ??

I am asking because I dont know where to put the other filter media if I do need them

Thanks and Regards

Pierre

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Wes

Wes

Depends on the ability of your DSB live rock and skimmer to remove/convert/change nutrients.

4. DubKorps

DubKorps

filter sock on your overflow pipe outless is all you need for mechanical filtration,be sure to change it out regularly tho.... as for other medias,you can get reactors or hang them in high flow areas of your sump..reactors imo is the way to go as it gives you control over ther flow speeds to get maximum absorbtion... lots of rock is also good and dsb is good but takes long to mature so dont become dependant just yet on it...good luck

5. pmalan1000

pmalan1000 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Can I just add that this is exactly the reason why I don't bother asking questions on the forum anymore. It is like there are too many ego's running around. I understand everybody has their own opinion and tried and tested methods, but it is really frustrating when a beginner thread gets taken over by crap like this.

There are actually people out there willing to learn and willing to do whatever is necessary to create the perfect little home for the creatures we want in our lives. This forum is filled with people with vast experience, but to get that experience from some of them is like trying to pull hen's teeth.

Maybe its true what some people say... dont listen to anyone on the forum and just research by yourself... pity though...

Cheers

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

@pmalan1000 my aplologies,
    pity they do not think before they type!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. Wes

Wes

hi chief sorry for your bad experince some of the guys go off at tangents, hehe, anyways please feel free to ask additional questions, we're here to help.

8. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Remeber the more you remove through physical filtration the less your biological filter has to work, the less your biological filter works the less nitrate you end up with, so yes it is beneficial to use a filter sock or sponge etc and placed before bio filtration. I have my water running to the skimmer and then through a filter sock to catch what ever the skimmer misses.

9. Seabass

Seabass

Hey Pierre

You can use circulation pumps in your sump to stop detritus settling in the sump. Best thing I have done.

If you can get hold of
    [​IMG]

and or

[​IMG]

sheets of filter media cut it to fit where detritus can be captured and in a easy place that you can access them to change out often.

I have placed these in my baffle just after the skimmer and before the return.

Filter sock if it is easily accessible and you change it often.

I don't think you need a reactor.

Bit of IMHO only.

Cheers

10. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Saw these pads this morning at our LFS, believe they work really well...some people in town are already using them and swear they are a great success!

11. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Are you adding macro algae too?
    I'd run some carbon and phosphate remover as well. Just add it to a bag and put it in the third chamber.

12. pmalan1000

Now this is more like it... lol

So, I can run a filter sock with some floss... add to that the filter sheets in each baffle... and a bag with Phosphate Remover and Carbon in the final chamber.... sorted.... thanks guys.

13. pmalan1000

Oh, sorry... yes @459b ... I am planning on running Cheato on the DSB under some lights.

Was also thinking about adding a DIY Algae Scrubber somewhere ???

14. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

How big are the baffles between the chambers? What I used to do was actually put the bags of phos removing media like Phosguard and carbon in the baffles between the chambers so that water has to pretty much flow through it to get to the next chamber...this works well if you dont use a reactor for your media.

If baffles are too small I would house the media in the overflow if possible as this will also force water through better than the media sitting in the last chamber...just some ideas to play with there. :)

I would imagine you can use those sheets instead of filter floss, it looks like it would work the same way.

15. Dot Dash

Dot Dash

What is the size of the sump chambers, if they are quite big, you might be able to add another baffle and creat an inlet chamber to hold some mechanical and chemicla filter media.

16. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Chaeto and a scrubber aremt really both neded. Before over complicating things, what corals are you planning on keeping?
    When it comes to filtration, simpler is often better.

17. pmalan1000

I would like to keep LPS and some Softies in the beginning.... after a year I would like to keep some SPS and maybe an anemone.

18. Seabass

Seabass

Pierre get your parameters stable, get a chiller, good light and flow and there is no reason to wait a year to start sps.

Remember that softies lps are going to enjoy diff conditions to those that sps like. Best to set up your tank for one or the other type of system and not to mix your system.

For example you set up a lps tank with softies, nice gentle flow for your favorite bubble coral. So for a year it is happy, fully extended and then you add sps, now you up the flow and what happens your beautiful bubble coral says no thanks to the extra flow and dies.

Set it up right in the beginning.

Once again IMHO only.

19. pmalan1000

Thanks @Seabass,

I do appreciate the honesty and the advice. Ok, so I will set it up then for LPS with some Softies. Sounds a little bit easier to keep.... or am I wrong.

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. Seabass

Seabass

No it's not easier, I think softies and lps are more finicky.

For sps get alk cal no3 po4 right.

I have had more lps and softies die than sps. But just get parameters stable first. Don't rush, this is a long term hobby. Once you realize this it will be better.

21. Tremayn

Tremayn

Its easier to have a Sps tank than a mixed reef with sps, softies and lps but it can be done. You can keep sps, lps and zoas in the same tank easily. You just place the lps in areas with low flow as the whole tank will not have high flow. This is what I do. My lps are doing good and so are the zoas.

If you are going to keep sps immediately or later on then you have to build up your system to accommodate for this. Get a good skimmer one time. With regards to filtration, if you start up with a DSB then I think you will be better off adding sps later on as it takes time for a DSB to mature. I would recommend adding a large remote DSB if you want sps and a DSB. The small ones are not too effective. You could keep macro in your sump and run a remote DSB, that way it also makes your life easier if you want to use a NP pellet reactor or go zeovit later down the line. It can be a real pain to remove a DSB from the sump.

So a DSB, macro and a po4 reactor can work nicely. I would also consider dosing prodibio biodigest and bioptim to help in nutrient control.

SPS is not super hard. If you set your system up correctly from the start and have good advice you can keep sps. Perhaps you should have a look at how people run their tanks so you will have an idea of what works, what is easier and you will have a better idea of what you want and what you have to do to get there. Its best to take it slow and do things right the first time

Recent Posts