Networking boffs please help

Discussion in 'Technology' started by FransSny, 23 Jun 2009.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Hi guys , im stumped so if anyone can help. heres my prob on my network

Server running xp, all staff laptops running vista, have a belkin wireless modem / router
    everyone is on the same work group.

for some strange reason my laptop cant "see" the server anymore....can see everybody else though, still connect to the internet etc etc
    I can also ping the server...just cant save to it etc

very weird ...any ideas

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Frans - sometime anti-virus and personal firewalls "mark" workgroup network shares, as being "spam" or "not trusted". It is possible that this has happened on either your laptop/PC's side, or, on the side of the "Windows XP" server.

Try and ping your laptop/PC from the "Windows XP server"..... Also - create a new share (just to test) on your laptop, and try and access the share on your laptop, from the "Windows XP server"'s side.

Also - perhaps try and reboot the wireless router.... sometimes they bugger up somehow....

BTW: What WiFi security do you use? WEP? WAP? IS your WEP / WAP key still set correctly on your local laptop?

4. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

thanks jacques those were my thoughts as well. thats whats so weird...i can ping from both sides.

Redid the whole network ...everybody has access except the boss (starting to wonder ...;))

Did the reboot, new keys etc.....i am connected to the workgroup and can see the other staff members' laptops...just not the @#%*@ server..

Guess where all my work is !

Recent Posts