1. mupwi

mupwi

hi all just curious to find out what type size shape nets the rest of you are using to catch specimens.

so far I have tried thoes green rectangular nets from the lfs and thoes kids nets with the bamboo handel they sell on the beachfront had much better luck with the cheep bamboo Handel ones.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. eb.adam

eb.adam

Same here. I've taken an old perspex broom stick and used it in place of the bamboo. Got the idea from a fisherman's net that I've seen. He has this professional one with a large rectangular net and a solid stainless steel pole. The bamboo broke in the current. The broomstick seems to have lasted longer. I do feel that the square ones work better.

Haven't been out in the rock-pools in weeks though. Soon

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

use a stick of dynamite :lol:

5. richardmatlock

richardmatlock

These are what I use, excuse the pic - taken a good few years back after a solid 12hour collecting marathon in the Transkei (exact location to remain a mystery).

[​IMG]

The netting is mono-filamentous nylon micro gill-netting which is technically banned in every country with a coastline. I swapped it from a Japanese collecting contingent a good 8 years back and am VERY stingy as have a limited supply. The netting has almost zero drag in the water, has small holes (+-3mm by 3mm) is completely invisible and VERY strong (these nets can support about 15 kilos of dead weight).

6. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

Cool any idea where one could get neting to make up nets as the nets ive found are all much smaller so will have to make up my own

7. Tim S

Tim S

[​IMG]

I see the guys have been holding out on you. In my view this is the best solution. Being using it for years. The body of the net is made of a thick vinyl type plastic sheeting you buy from the material supply shops. You cut to size and sew into a tub shape (about 300mm in dia and 350mm long). Then you make a ring with 8 guage wire (bloudraad) to suit the net. Twist the two ends of the wire together to form the ring and use the twited section to secure to the handle later. Turn the edge of the net over the ring and sew it up. Cut & sew into the bottom of the net with a piece of dark shade cloth. Drill a hole into a stick or timber end a hole big enough to drive the twisted point of the wire into the handle and secure.
    The plasic, when new, is literally invissible to the fish. So you have to scare the fish to a hiding spot under a rock or in a crevice. Once there, survey his possible escape routes and place your net across this position. Gently chase the fish with your other hand in the direction of the net. Once he darts out and hopefully into the net, scoop it to the surface an transfer to a plastic bottle which you should have tied to your weight belt. Your net can be any shape, square or triangular, but I found round(ish) works best as you always need to bend the rim to take the shape of the rocks where he is hiding so as not to leave gaps.

Works like a charm!

Recent Posts