Neptune Aquacontrollers

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by glenvdm, 12 Apr 2009.

1. glenvdm

glenvdm

I have a Neptune Aquacontroller 3 here in the USA and I want to be able to take it with me to NZ. I have heard that some people have these controllers outside of the USA, therefore they have it connected to 220V as opposed to 110V here in the US.

I would like to hear from anyone who has an AC3 controller how they got around the voltage issue. Please i'm desperate to find this out before I leave the US, so that I can decide whether to keep the controller or not.

This contoller for those of you who don't know it, is probably one of the best controllers on the market in that you can connect it up to your web router via an ethernet cable, it will not only send you emails, SMS's or pager alerts when params are out of spec, but you can control everything remotely from any computer that has internet access, which means that if i gave you the password to my site you could turn lights on or off from SA, change the temp in the tank, switch pumps on or off. The unit can control up to 24 individual devices.

Looking forward to some replies here! :thumbup:

Attached Files:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I see it make use of a AC adapter, so all you have to do is see what is the output of the adapter and then get a 220v version.

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i have heard of these but am unfortunatley not to clued up on them.. good luck i hope the solution suggested by shaun is the one..

5. lIghty

lIghty

Yip as Shaun said, it looks like it uses a "Step-down" power supply, so it should have a little box some where in the length of the power cable or perhaps the plug its self holds the circuitry, if so, then just match with another power supply that has the same output voltage and amp, obviously with a 220V input side.

6. Hill

Hill

Power supply shouldn't be a problem. the power sockets etc may be.

7. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Test the output in the US and then when in NZ go to Dick Smith Electronics.

8. glenvdm

glenvdm Thread Starter

Yes the power supply to the controller itself is not the problem, i have managed to get a power supply for that, its the powerbar that all the rest of the equipment connects to that is the problem, thats only 110V I have looked into it and spoken to a few electrical engineers and they have told me that a step down transformer is the answer but it means that if i lose a heater or a pump i'll have to order a 110V one from the USA. mmm could be a pricy heater one shipped. :(

9. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Step down transformer will be the way to go. The other thing if you need to replace heater etc just use a 110v relay. Your plug bar will switch the relay and the relay will then switch the 220v for the new heater. Just take some extra US plugs with you.

10. glenvdm

glenvdm Thread Starter

Ok I'm with you, yeah thats a good idea, just need to find an electrical shop that sells the 110V relays. Many thanks for the advise. :thumbup:

I just wonder how everyone else around the world that has bought these controllers is getting around this?

11. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

If you are really into DIY, you probably can change the relays in the plug bar. Any good electronics shop should be able to help, including Disk Smith's
    Dick Smith Electronics - New Zealand

12. glenvdm

glenvdm Thread Starter

I hadn't thought of that, the only problem would be that i'd void the warranty on the powerbar, but it may be necessary to give me a less of a headache!

13. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Will your warranty be valid in NZ ? You will be changing voltage so they may also come up with some excuse not to validate it.

Recent Posts