NeoZeo vs Zeovit vs Biopellets

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by jacqolive, 29 Dec 2011.

1. jacqolive

jacqolive

Hi

I started my first tank about 3 weeks ago. After researching for about 6 years I decided to not go with a DSB and try a ULNS. Due to the lack of zeovit I opted for brightwell and had long discussions with brightwell regarding the system. As part of the system I added the phosphat-r last week to my phosphate reactor and it went all over my sump as it went through the sponges in the reactor, annoyed by this I started looking at zeovit again and found that we now have a supplier in the country. Very exited I decided that I would change to zeovit as soon as I can get the products. All was well until I came a cross this tonight - reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/65-tank-of-the-month. I know I will be happy with zeovit but if the boipellets can do the same thing at a fraction of the cost and time then why not. What do you guys think, I know some of you has used both methods please give me you honest opinion.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

Honest opinion having tried bio-pellets in three tanks and brightwells Zeo method in two tanks, go for the pellets.

This has a catch though as I don't suggest pellets for established tanks but rather new fresh tanks. I've had bad results with pellets and established tanks, never seemed to work.

With my new tank I have a high bio-load and my nitrates are 0.25 and phosphates are 0.01. This is all with just NP pellets and a skimmer in my sump.

The problem I had with Neozeo is potassium. At that time potassium kits weren't readily available and not dosing potassium destroyed my one tank. Also I kept forgetting to dose bacteria and a carbon source.

With the pellets I literally add nothing to my tank.

4. jacqolive

jacqolive Thread Starter

Have you tried zeovit yet? I am busy looking into this at the moment and just had a thought. Both zeovit and neozeo is a 2 part system 1-Nutrient limitation and 2-Nutrient supplementation. The pellets would replace only part 1 do you still supplement nutrient? Is it required? As for the pellets in established systems, my tank is only been running 3 weeks and only has 2 clowns, 1 regal, 2 cleaner shrimp, some snails and no corals, do you think this will be a problem with the pellets?

5. Manic

Manic Moderator

I personally wouldn't run pellets on a tank that has had fish in it. It is my opinion based on my personal experience with NP pellets.

While you need to supply nutrients to your corals with any of these systems, there are many ways to do this. I feed heavily and add amino acids every week.

6. jacqolive

jacqolive Thread Starter

Do you still run phosphate with this?

7. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Not sure if I missed the reason, so would appreciate it if you could expand on your experience?

Thanks

8. Tony

Tony

Zeovit is not just the low nutrient system from zeolites and bacteria, but a holistic approach, which involves vitamins, coral foods, amino acids, near sea water water parameters (low KH, NSW salinity etc)and the very important potassium. I never had much luck with neo zeo and I tried the whole range of supplements for about six months. I tried the bio pellets but they never did much for me but that was my own fault as I never used a proper reactor.

The upside to ULNS systems is that you have to feed a little heavier as you need some nutrients in the water and the waste food and poop feeds the corals. Too low nutrients can cause SPS corals to bleach

9. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Wouldnt you then say that it was your own fault the system didnt work, rather than pellets are a better option? I am not going to pretend to be super clued up on all of this, but I have read of more people and have heard first hand far more people having had problems with pellets than with running a zeo system of some form. And it was not with just tanks that had been running for a while as you said, but with newly setup tanks as well.

Remember with any bacteria system be it zeolites or pellets it can take a couple of months or up to a year to start seeing any effect, so the fact that a system already is setup and has fish in it doesnt mean that the pellets arent going to work, it just means its going to take more time before you start seeing results, so it comes down to patience in the end.

10. jacqolive

jacqolive Thread Starter

I thought I would give a update on this. I decided to give the pellets a go so I got an reactor and added 500g of pellets. The tank has been running on them for the past 2 weeks and everything seems to be fine. All the fish has survived and I even added 3 chromis and a coral banded shrimp. I currently have some cyano and some sort of brown algae that looks jelly like, not sure what it is.

11. Yuri

Yuri

If you do not have any corals just turn of the lights that will kill it fast

12. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Difficult to say whether the brown jelly like groth is algae. In this hobby, when we hear jelly we think brown jelly as in lps killer! If not that, could be diatoms, but they seldom jelly like. Could be cyano, but seldom brown and you do state that you have cyano as well.
    My guess would be that it is not algae, but rather a bacterial biofilm, which has developed as a result of an "excess" bio available carbon. Are you dosing a bac source like microbacter? The biofilm should reduce or disappear as available nutrients become less.
    The reason you will experience this is due to perhaps not waasahing the pellets sufficiently prior to introduction or the tumbling action of the pellets. As they rub against one another, microparticles of plastic and the carbon it has been mixed with sloughs off into the tank.
    I would recommend that you reduce the flow through your reactor as to have only a slight vibration effect in the pellets, instead of them tumbling. Do this for a week or so, as it will allow colonization of bacterial biofilms on the pellets.
    Thereafter, increase the flow to obtain a slight tumbling effect, with the intension to slough off the biofilm ( for export via skimming)on the pellets and expose new surface areas for colonization.
    Uncontrolled release of bioavailable carbon has always been my concern with these systems.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2012
  13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yup i would be inclined to lean towards to much Bio pellets been introduced. I find that one needs to add the bio pellets slowly. Say 1/3rd of the required amount then about two weeks later add another 1/3rd etc. This stops the mulm buildup in the reactor and tank.

14. crispin

crispin

great reply Irvie (as always).

I havent used the methods you are asking about so im not going to comment on them, but reading through this it sounds like you have a relativley new tank with a fairly high fast bio load. Regal tang, clowns, chromis, shrimps etc etc. Regardless of what system you use it needs time to collonise, grow and establish without being over loaded so just be careful of over stocking a tank thats possibly not ready for it, especially if you have things like cyano and algaes growing fast. Just a heads up

15. jacqolive

jacqolive Thread Starter

I added half the amount when I started and then the other half a week later, all the pellets where soaked in RO for about 24 hours. I did think that it might be the LPS bacteria but I have no corals in the tank so im not 2 worried at the moment. I am not sure it is the pellets that has caused this as this algae started growing before I added them. I do dose MB7 or I used to before adding the pellets, since adding the pellets I only dosed it when adding the pellets and that was straight into the reactor leaving it off for about 4 hours. I am not 2 concerned about it yet as it is a new tank and it does seem to be slowing down, I will do some tests today just to check everything is still ok and then maybe leave the lights off for a couple of days.

16. irie ivan

:whistling: were you dosing a carbon source as well? Something like seachem fuel or brightwell biofuel?

17. jacqolive

jacqolive Thread Starter

Before adding the pellets I dosed biofuel about 2 times. After speaking to Chris Brightwell about his products he told me that biofuel should only be dosed if there is not enough carbon in the system. His theory was if the MB7 could not reduce nitrate and phosphate even after increasing dosing of it then biafuel should be used.

18. jacqolive

jacqolive Thread Starter

I have tested and everything is fine except for alk is 5.5 so I will have to raise this to about 8

19. jacqolive

jacqolive Thread Starter

The jelly looking algae now looks like mold, I also have some algae that looks very stringy and is brown red in color. Any help please?

20. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

are you still dosing anything ?

21. irie ivan

Doubt if the string stuff is alagae. Bacterial biofilm. Reduce reactor florate, ensure outlet plumbed close to skimmer intake, stop dosing bacteria and bac source and skim wet. Also cut down feeding if you can. Where is mould growing? Tank or on pellets?

Recent Posts