NeoZeo and Mirobe-Lift special blend

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by charlv, 19 Jul 2011.

1. charlv

charlv

Howzit All

Want to go the NeoZeo method with stones.
    Can i use Microbe-Lift special blend as bateria and leave mb7 when running NeoZeo method or do i need to dose mb7 aswell.
    Did anybody tried this and what was the result.

Thanks Charl

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. charlv

charlv Thread Starter

Anyone..

4. Tony

Tony

I used the neo zeo route before and never really like the MB7 as I felt it did nothing for my tank as far as nutrient reduction was concerned. A lot of guys on reef central switched to Prodibio or Zeovit bacteria but I do believe Microbelift is a good product but a little doesnt go a long way with Microbelift especially in big systems. You can use any bacteria source in conjunction with the stones and carbon dosing. The stones are used primarily as a surface for bacteria to grow on, and you flush the reactor (an important piece of equipment) once or twice a day to dislodge the bacterial film or mulm which in turn feeds your tank and allows the skimmer to remove excess bacteria so the stones can be recolonised with bacteria. The stones do remove ammonia from your water but only to a certain degree and should not be depended on to do that.

5. charlv

charlv Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply

Tony if i use microbelift how will i dose it then daily or weekly
    I reed on RC that the guys use stability rather than mb7
    And how will i go about starting it now my tanks been running for 2 years now plus running DSB plus scrubber any advise will help

6. charlv

charlv Thread Starter

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. Adee

Adee

The Brightwells NeoZeo method works with the zeolith stones, MB7 and their carbon source (Biofuel IIRC). Tremayn posted something similar wanting to know if one could mix and match.

I'll give you the same advice...

U could replace the MB7 with Microblelift and basically experiment, but asking an open forum...you would only get peoples opinions and not fact if it would work or not. My logic says it should work.

However, there are caveats, in that most of these manufacturers claim to fame recipes is that you follow their instructions to a capital T, in order to get results. If guys have gone a similar route to what you intend to do you, ask for them to show you pics (proof is in the pudding?) of their systems. Then again, if you hit the nail on the head and easily obtain the results you want...hey, we will all be lining up to copy what you have done :).

my personal experience with the brightwells newzeo way is that is did not work for me, maybe it was my improper understanding of the directions...

on using microbelift...I also tweaked (cheated) and still used a carbon source, I liaised directly with the manufactures in the States to get a proper regimen on how to dose the tank, etc...needless to say they say carbon dosing with the Special Blend is realy not nesessary. So when I started my PO4 levels were at 0.09...last time I checked was down to 0.02. I'm using a hanna phos checker which is argueably the easiest and most accurate test available to us hobbyists. I urge u to get one of these so you can monitor all you effors and take regular readings to see if you are on the right track or simply just pouring money down the drain.

another thing as far as I know Microbelift's Special Blend is the only bac source that comes out of the bottle ready to work (hence the awefull stench). All others have bac that still need to be grown before becoming effective. maybe that is why the one does not neet a carbon source while all the other do need that extra carbon to get to critical mass..so to be more effective. Hells bells, maybe I should stop dosing carbon as well and try this out myself???

You see Charl...there is no perfect solution rather have a trained and informed eye to ascertain your tanks needs and be able to respond asap to any changes...apply this to whatever rout you take to whatever next snake oil product comes onto the market.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2011
  8. Braco

Braco

9. Tony

Tony

@Adee. The stench is from a sulphur source of sorts which keeps the bacteria inactive till its introduced into water

10. Adee

Adee

Yep sulphur smell allright. I've must have used about 8 of the 16oz bottles in the last two months....good thing I have kids, I put the blame them on having dropped a puff.

11. Tony

Tony

Or blame the dog where possible

12. charlv

charlv Thread Starter

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

So ok i will give it a shot with the microbelift with the NeoZeo stones. And give some feedback.
    Do you guys think i need carbon source or just dose microbelift.

13. Tony

Tony

I dont know about microbelift but I cant see the harm in dosing carbon with the bacteria

14. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

to add to this and what Adee said is that each method has certain ways to deal with PO4 and NO3 and the relationship between them is taken into account by each method using the correct amount of each product, by mixing and matching one can disturb the balance with eighter the PO4 or NO3 not going down etc

Recent Posts