Nennies

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by crispin, 15 Apr 2008.

1. crispin

crispin

hey guys,
    can you give me the basics into nennies. I have a beautiful green bubble tip and he is happily swaying in medium to light flow, looking great. I did try feed him a little muscle and some crab meat last night but how do these guys actually feed? i bdefrosted it in a empty glass in warm water, squeezed the liguid out the meat and then chopped it into small sized pieces. I turned power heads off and then target fed (scared the crap out the poor clowns but they seem to ahve short memories and promptly stole it from the nennie. How do they feed? Do they take the food from tentacle to mouth? How do you access the health and happines of a nennie, is it tentacle extension, colour, movement around the tank?

all help will be greatly appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LikesFish

LikesFish

80% photosynthesis, 20% predator on meaty foods.

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hello Crispin -

OK - my comments:
    1) most nemmies prefer medium to HIGH water flow
    2) medium to high lighting
    3) YES - they MUST be fed, by doing the following:
    = just "drop" small (up to 1cm) pieces of meaty food (either fish, mussels, or pink shrimp) in / onto their tentacles. Their tentacles should be "sticky" enough that the food stick to the tentacles. You should see the nemmie close up for a few seconds, as it sticks this piece of food into it's mouth. Repeat until you see that the nemmie is not eating so "greadily" anymore.

5. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

hence the need for decent lighting. Meaty foods once a week enough? a Muscle or so.

Jaques that all makes sence, i am upgrading my lights a little over the weekend, 8 t5's and skipping halides for now.

also i will get some seios which attach to the glass:) brilliant idea that, attaching power heads to glass! so i will get the flow up a little, i just figured that as he is static i would leave things for a while as they are.

By static i mean he has been there 6 hours LOL:)

6. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Firstly as stated you nennie will produce most of its own food but does enjoy tasty morsels of small food and they will pass it from tenticle to mouth.
    If the BTA is unhappy in the spot he is in he will move to try find a better position.
    I judge the health of a nennie in a few ways
    Fully extended every day.
    Attached to a specific spot and not floating around the tank.
    Attached to the same spot every day and not continually moving.
    Resposivenes if touched [not by your hand].

7. LikesFish

LikesFish

Depends. My anemone does not like mussel - but prefers lance fish. Remember there are a lot of different anemones out there and they act/eat differently.

Also be careful - I removed two out of my tank since it wandered between two spots and stung and killed about 5 LPS and SPS during the years.

8. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

but i want to touch him! looks sticky and cuddly and i love watching them contract. i think that was one of my fav games as a lighty in rock pools. and speaking of which, can we remove nennies from local tidal zones for aquariums. Oh and i dont smoke so i wount give them nicatine poison like warr does!:)

but jokes aside, thanks for the advice I will have a far better idea as to what to look for. I even know where I would like him to be. Note where I would like....doubt he has the same views, but lets see:)

9. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

You can go a long way to placing your nem where you want it, by creating a good environment for it, you can minimise the urge to travel, a good cave where it can place it's foot and feel secure there. This has no guarrantee, but it helps.

10. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

ok so they are fussy feeders who wage war when they can:) so far i have precious little coral wise so should be ok for now....but thanks for the advice. I will get him settled first and see afterwards:)

11. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

thanks wee-man nice sugestions there:)

12. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

do you have a clown?
    The reason why i ask is that you can place a piece of shrimp,mussel into the water and the clown will feed him.(Pretty damn cool, my two tomato clowns fight with each other to decide who is going to feed the nennie)

13. jacquesb

Hi Lanzo - I have the same! Both my tomato clowns, as well as my clarkii clown does this.... feed the nemmie's...

14. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

very very very cool,love nennies and clowns :)

15. Storm

Storm

Crispin, just be very careful with the powercuts/loadshedding, as they are probably the no1 killer off nennies other then newcomers right now. I already know a few people who lost nennies to power cuts.

16. jacquesb

You quite right Storm - the most common reason for the nemmie "dying" because of power-cuts, are that the nemmie start to wander around, as it "thinks" that there's no more light and the water flow has dissappeared. It then goes in search of more light and water-flow.
    THEN - they end up being sucked into power-head inlets.... AND THIS KILLS THE NEMMIE. BUT not always. I have been able to recover a nemmie that was "sucked into a powerhead" by switching the power-head off - leaving the nemmie alove, let it retract itself, and then just "nursing" the nemmie back to health again....

17. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

hell, i'm a newbie and 4ways has powercuts. sounds like he is in trouble, but power supply is getting sorted and this fella should be in good hands IF i dont pick him up......should i protect the inlet of the powerheads to stop this, or will he be able to find a safe place in 1.8 m of water?

and yes the clowns should take food in for him, they get enough free massaging anyway!

18. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Nennies are really stunning.espescially the Radiantus in my eyes.had one in my old system but got stuck in a Seio and messed up my entire system,so doubt i'll be getting another one

19. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

heres the fella and his feeding clowns:)

[​IMG]

20. Warr7207

Warr7207

Beautiful, you really got a nice specimen. I am jealous.

21. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

when u comming round for dinner and tank squizz?

Recent Posts