Urgent help needed Nennie hotel needed please

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by FransSny, 22 Mar 2010.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Guys, just had a customer in the shop whio has bee taken for a bit of a ride. He has a new system with a nennie (2 weeks). He is going to start to feed now.

I will be seeing him tomorrow again but i need someone to B & B this nennie until we can sort his tank. Any takers ...my tanks are still too new

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mandarinman

mandarinman

my top frag tank is empty, system is two and a half months old if u need,

4. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

thnax glen..will give you a shout tomorrow

5. mandarinman

mandarinman

no probs it has a flow rate of 3000lph through 160l frag tank excluding any wavemakers/powerheads and at a 30cm dpth four 54 watt t5s two of which are actinic two and others 10000 k

6. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Can you still host nennie for me for a week or two please glen. This man has been taken for a massive ride.....lots of work to do before that system will be ready

I can collect 2 morrow night & bring over to you....

7. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

please help guys - this is getting urgent

Guys I collected the Nennie last night. To put you in the picture, It was being held under 1 phillips (something blue) T 8 for quite some time now. The cllients been taken for a ride, and the tank is only 2 odd weeks old. (after moving)

I tried target feeding last night ...no go. Shriveled & "popping inside out" (if you get what I mean. This has obviously been a long time issue (APPARENTLY it has been in that tank for ages, seriously doubt that).

My tanks are not suitable for nennies yet but I would like to TRY and save it for my client. (Obviously he has started loving it, this is not his fault though and he is more than willing to work together to save it)

Come on guys lets help out a fellow reefer new to the hobby.

BTW: IF you are going to sell your equipment / tanks / LS, be bloody honest. Dishonesty is not only a sign of bad character...but also WILL kill harmless animals. (This seller is on MASA)

8. mandarinman

mandarinman

hey frans bring it over lets see if we can save it. Glen 0827733884

9. mandarinman

mandarinman

firstly get it under proper light with decent nenny friendly circulation and put a bit of phytoplankton in water and lets see what happens

10. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Thanx Glen...will give you a shout tommorrow. At least My lighting is a bit better Added temporary extra T5 's ( 4 x 80 W Geisemann)to one of my holding tanks, but obviously circulation is not meant for a Nennie.

Fed some scallop now..seems to have taken it. Will talk 2 morrow, will also bring some RO for you

11. Atilla

Atilla Sponsor

good on you Frans!

12. Anemone

Anemone

Mandarinman & FransSny, unless you absolutely have to move this anemone, leave it in FransSny’s tank for now. Another move is going to stress it out even more.

Do you know what species this is?
    Don’t worry about adding any stronger lighting that what you have already done. Since this anemone was kept with hardly any lighting, you don’t want to light shock it, causing more stress. It will need to slowly adjust to higher lighting.

If you have trouble with feeding, try target feeding newly hatched brine shrimp.

13. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Thank you Brenda, sorry I only saw the post now.
    I run my SG a bit lower, low nutrients and a 4 week old system, thus for me the risk was too risky. Also unfortunately due to space requirements I had to add 4 fish back into the same tank as the nennie, seeming to bother him. My display tanks also have almost no flow..not needed for FO, especially if they come and go.

At least he took the first piece of scallop, still moving & sticky , although very shriveled and not looking good at all.

Glen will set up a "hiding space" for him so he can decide how fast he can get used to increased lighting (something I cant do), as all my holding tanks run on the same circuit.

I will also keep in contact with Glen on progress, really hoping for the best

14. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Sorry forgot to answer a question H Magnifica

15. Anemone

Anemone

Does this anemone have any color left, or is it completely bleached? At least it is still sticky and able to eat. Lets keep our fingers crossed that it keeps eating.

I'm happy to hear that the two of you stepped in to help this new reefer and this anemone. Glenn, good luck, and ask as many questions as you need to! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, and you can always PM me. Post a picture when you can.

16. mandarinman

mandarinman

nenny is in tank now with nennyproof waterflow into tank onto the liverock nexto nenny causing a little involuntary movement of tentacles with the hope that it will stimulate nenny into action. reduced lighting to two tubes(actinic and a 10000k) im sure this is enough light with water depth of 30cm. thanks for all the well wishes , ill tell the nenny you guys are rooting for him/her/it! im hoping it will hydrate its tentacles due to the water movement around it..

17. mandarinman

mandarinman

the nenny still has colour so im hopeful that we can pull something out of the hat. the nenny doesnt have visible decay or breakup of tissue or a worse than normal smell. ps i dont want to post pics as of yet as the patient has not given permission for us to do topless photos!

18. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Sorry that I could not help Frans. As you know I also went through a bit of crap with my tank recently.

Good on you Glen for trying to assist! I really hope that you guys can get this nemmie to pull through!

Glen - what are your water parameters in this tank you are keeping the nemmie in?
    And what will you be feeding the nemmie? (If you don't mind me asking?)

19. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

bud I know you would have helped if at all posssible...you had your own issues.

20. mandarinman

mandarinman

hi J my water perameters are perfect, tank cycled properly etc. havent fed anenome initially. if an anenome is in a state of deterioration it will be too hard to try and digest food as well. i put the anenome in my frag tank in pure darkness for eight hours to enable it to focus on the most important thing of getting rid of toxins and rehydrating (with good circulation to assist) where the water movement touched the edge of the nennie the tentacles had rounded up nicely although small. i put on the garage light for six hours and the nennie had inflated substantially to nearly full size.. i put the tank lights on and went back to work. when i got home at six thirty the menny had deflated. i have turned the lights off totally and will let it rest till tomorrow and introduce a little light for a shorter period and rest it again.(quite interesting cos i am making this up as i go)

21. mandarinman

mandarinman

nennie has now gone into what i would assume is a protective mode by covering all but a few tentacles with the outer red foot. . i am assuming it has sunburn of sorts and will be more carefull with light it is exposed to.
    i have added phytoplankton to the water column and hopefully it will perk up slowly.

Recent Posts