Nem's new 3000L

Discussion in 'Supersized Tanks' started by Nemeziz_za, 26 Sep 2012.

1. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

Hi Everyone,

As the title suggests I am in the planing stage of my new tank with the following measurements. :thumbup:

Length 2000mm
    Width 1000mm
    Height 700mm

I want to get pricing on glass and did find Calculate Aquarium Glass Thickness | Aquarium Tools from searching the forum. It does give me an idea of the panel sizes but the end panes (shorter width panels) seem to be incorrect. It also suggests 20mm glass thickness :eek: at a safety rating of 2.5 which seems to be overkill.

I would like the 2 large length (viewing) panels to be Opti-White Glass (LIG) and the rest of the glass including bracing and the bottom panel to be normal glass.

This is where I need some assistance:

I would like to know if someone could tell me what size panels I need to order as well as include the number and size bracing panels too.

Possible options for reliable glass suppliers in Western Cape (CBD, Montague Gardens, Northern Subs).
    I did get advice to contact, but they both want detailed panel sizes and thickness.
    Nelson Glass Mirror Cutting in Killarney Gardens, Cape Town
    Prima Glass | Mirrors | Framed Mirrors | Mirrored Furniture | Glass Furniture | Frameless Showers | Glass & Mirror Installations | Waterjet Cutting | Natac

Do I need any special edging to be done on the glass to ensure correct joining? I guessing the top rim edges should be sanded smooth (not sure what the correct term is).

Im also looking for a tank builder and someone to help me build a steel stand that I would also like galvanized as Im guessing this is still a preferred and affordable method.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Cheers

P.S I know we all like pics so this is where I'm planing on putting the tank.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Newbie

The Newbie

Following this thread as I wanna also build a new cube and have no clue:thumbup:

4. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Great size tank!

If you brace the bottom and top of tank 12mm or for piece of mind 15mm should be fine.

Sure there are a few of the old dogs here that can help you on planning!

5. Andreas

Andreas

Sounds like a great project!

Personally, I wouldn't take a chance building a tank that size on my own. You'll be lucky to source the glass cheap and the effort might not add up, compared to getting someone to do it for you. That's potentially just one less thing to go wrong when you're not home.

Love the size btw. 1m wide is my next move:)

Last edited: 26 Sep 2012
  6. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za Thread Starter

Hi Andreas,

Im not going to build this myself thats for sure. Im looking for a tank builder to help put this together for me. I dont have the nerves to self build :eek:
    @LCornelius thanks man, Im hoping to get some input from the old experienced seadogs :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That is a wide tank. Do you have a sliding door or another method to get it in or out the place? If not, then you have to build it in place and you can never get it out without taking the tank apart.

Not sure about the room dimensions, but 1m plus another 10cm gap behind the tank will intrude very far into the room. Get yourself a nice big carton box, and place it where tank will stand. Just to get the actual feel on how far that tank will be into the room.

8. Nemeziz_za

Hi RiaanP,

Looking at the picture what is at your back is going to be a double folding glass door, so access in and out is not a problem. I actually did exactly what you suggested with electrical conduit PVC as the "wire frame" to support the cardboard boxes, and am happy with the amount of space it takes up, the other room is a particularly large room.

The tank is going to be a main feature and my wife is in full support, and is happy with the size. If you look at the pic I posted you will notice there are lines on the wall that are longer then the lines I drew in paint. Those were us marking out for a 2.4M length tank and we decided to cut back and go with the 2M length but were happy with the 1M width.

Anyone got some advice for me on:
    panel sizes
    Glass width based on some fact not just a "feel" (side panels and base)
    glass suppliers in Western Cape CBD, Durbanville, Montague Gardens area
    Tank Builder

Looking forward to hearing from you all. I got loads more questions but want to deal with these for the moment.

Cheers

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Not sure I understand correctly. You want to replace the wall partly with a double folding glass door?

10. Nemeziz_za

If you imagine you were standing in the room taking that photo, what is at your back is the front door to the house. Im doing other renovations to the house and the front door is going to be moved and replaced with a large glass folding door that leads out to a braai area and garden.

Did I manage to explain that better?

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

ok, understand. When you took the pic, behind you are the front door to the house. Wanted to suggest a room divider tank setup. If you remove the wall partly behind the tank. Cape Town room divider - Marine Aquariums South Africa
    Just another option before you start.
    but yes depends on the purpose of the next room.

On this size project I would suggest talking to specialized tank builders. Not sure on Cape Town guys but I did see a few tanks by Urban Marines that looked good. New Sponsor - Urban Marines - Marine Aquariums South Africa
    Maybe somebody else who knows Cape Town better could suggest other tank builders to talk to. @459b can you help?

12. Nemeziz_za

Hi all, just a short update.

Well Im still in the planning phase and have a meeting with the builder to discuss a few options to support the tank. As the wall is an "inwall" tank it rests across two independent surfaces. Namely the wall we knocking through and the floor slab on the other side (tiled floor). This means when I place the load on the two different support structures, they may settle at different levels or time leading to a cracked base.

So, Im looking to build a brick structure and throw a slab that will provide a common support structure for the tank.

On a side note the glass for the tank is still giving me sleepless nights.The decision between 12mm and 15mm is double the cost and further considerations are that the opti-White glass is not available in 15mm. I really dont want to be using guess work in such an important and costly part of the tank build.

Any advice from some of the more experienced reefers here would be greatly appreciated. As I mentioned before the calculators in my opinion were being way to conservative, largely due to them not calculating for bracing I suspect.

Cheers

13. Nemeziz_za

Hi all, just a short update.

Well Im still in the planning phase and have a meeting with the builder to discuss a few options to support the tank. As the tank is an "inwall" tank it rests across two independent surfaces. Namely the wall we knocking through and the original floor slab on the other side (tiled floor). This means when I place the load on the two different support structures, they may settle at different levels or time leading to a cracked base.

So, Im looking to build a brick structure and throw a slab that will provide a common support structure for the tank.

On a side note the glass for the tank is still giving me sleepless nights.The decision between 12mm and 15mm is double the cost and further considerations are that the opti-White glass is not available in 15mm. I really dont want to be using guess work in such an important and costly part of the tank build.

Any advice from some of the more experienced reefers here would be greatly appreciated. As I mentioned before the calculators in my opinion were being way to conservative, largely due to them not calculating for bracing I suspect.

Cheers

Last edited: 1 Oct 2012
  14. Nemeziz_za

Phew so its been 4 weeks...... 4 WEEKS! and little has visibly changed on this thread or in the house. But so much HAS changed! ;)

My approach and initial thoughts have been remodeled thanks to some information on this site and information I have gained whilst chatting to other forumer`s, thanks:thumbup:
    Adee Adee's v2 - Marine Aquariums South Africa
    Eddie Cape Town room divider - Marine Aquariums South Africa
    and Jhannes from NAAC.
    Im also pretty confident that if I get to meet up with @RiaanP when he is down in the Cape more will be refined.

But lets recap, where are we?

Hardware
    Tank Well this has changed slightly from the original post (DT volume = 1625L;))
    Length 2000mm
    Width 1200mm
    Height 700mm
    12mm Starfire Euro braced with 15mm base, wish it could be rimless but thats not gonna happen.

External Overflow box so it doesn't take up any of the internal dimensions with 2 x 32mm Durso style down pipes transporting the water out the house and into the filter room outside with filter socks feeding skimmer feed chamber of the sump.

Lights
    4 x Radion XR30w | EcoTech Marine
    4 x Radion XR30w Pro | EcoTech Marine
    (upgrade)

DT Flow (56875 L/hr - Maximum Possible Flow (81106 L/hr)
    2 x VorTech MP60 | EcoTech Marine
    2 x VorTech MP40 | EcoTech Marine
    Im considering including a CLS layout under the aquascape to try disrupt any lazy detritus and other waste

Computer management
    The verdict is still out on this one and I have shortlisted these and
    am convinced I must have one as I travel from time to time.
    ProfiLux 3
    Reef Angel Controller

I know Profilux has a strong following but the idea of an open source library via ReefAngel has my interest.

Filtration (I found this bit on MASA, cant recall where thanks to OP I did edit it slightly)
    We all know the order of filtration should be:
    1.) Mechanical: To remove as much particulate matter as possible, reducing the workload of biological filtration.
    2.) Biological: Removes what the mechanical filter "missed", breaks it down into biomass.
    3.) Chemical: To polish water. Last in line, attempt to prevent their clogging and extend their lifespan by doing so.

1.) Skimmer
    2.) DSB, algal scrubber, fuge
    3.) Carbon, purigen, PO4 media.

Mechanical Protein Skimmers, Filter floss, UV Sterilisers, Ozone reactors etc
    Skimmer - Reef Octopus Bubble Blaster Cone External skimmer XP5000-EX
    (rated 2400L)

Biological/Natural Filtration Live Rock, Sumps, Refugiums, Caulerpa and Chaetomorpha
    Here I intend to incorporate an ATS - Similar to what Adrian (@Adee) has implemented on his tank. Although I am toying with the idea of putting 1 on the roof as an experiment.
    LR + DSB (with or without Plenum...TBD) - in seperate compartments within the sump style glass tank
    The ATS will feed into the sump with has a LR chamber and a DSB chamber
    with a footprint of 2000mmL x 1400mmW and 400mmH (DSB 150mm + 150mm
    water above the DSB = 300mm leaving 100mm (280l volume) to suck up
    additional water in the event of a return pump failing or power outage.
    Refugium will be included with macro Algae, seems the Chaeto ball is too powerful to ignore

Chemical Includes filtration such as Granular Activated Carbon (GAC), Purigen, Phosphate remover, pellets etc.
    I intend to run Ozone to boost the skimmer and Ill include passive Carbon (non reactor)

Sump - design flow (layout for sump is mechanical - biological the chemical.)
    settlement chamber
    Reactor chamber
    Skimmer chamber (pump in the skimmer chamber on a timer to stirr up the detritus so that the skimmer can skim it out)
    Refugium
    ATO
    DSB essential that any sump based DSB is placed 'AFTER' the skimmer and not before
    LiveRock

Dosing
    This is still to be defined after some research. For the moment tho my thinking is to use a carx reactor that also has mg media I'm it, with a Kalk stirrer connected to the auto top off.

Worthwhile links
    Skimmer got you covered, think again. Skimmer got you covered, think again. - Marine Aquariums South Africa
    Balling Method The Balling Method | UltimateReef.Com
    Vodka vs. Vinegar Dosing Interesting article regarding current knowlege of anammox bacteria the biochemistry - Reef Central Online Community

Well that's it for now, I still have quite a bit more reading to do. But once I have the eco plan detailed I can begin to sketch it and get down to drawing whats in my head and work out what the final layout and footprint will be of my "Filter Room" and that will decide where it needs to be built.

Some points and detail I have posted above is also been done for me to try keep all my random notes in a single place ;) Thanks for a great site and a great community.

Ciao

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Ok, the wall will be knocked out. Nice wide tank. 1.2m. Just ensure that you can reach everywhere from both side. Other similar size tanks not mentioned yet I can think of are
    Schaun My dream in the making. - Marine Aquariums South Africa
    Hannesco The Rimless Wave Cube - Marine Aquariums South Africa
    Dorry Pets display tank Let's Do This Again!! - Marine Aquariums South Africa

Although they are all 1.5 by 1.2 if not mistaken

a CLS layout can be nice. But remember that they have their drawbacks. They cannot be altered and the pumps used are normally a lot heavier on wattage compared to in tank powerheads. But no cables visible is another plus. Check the Dorry Pets tank, they have a under rock closed loop that is totally invisible and works for them.

The Dorry tank and Hannesco do have slimline overflows on one short end. Take less than 20mm space into the tank.

For my DSB I do not use filter socks. You want the copepods to take over the DSB and refugium. But prevent flakes via the overflow to reach them. Yes, a bit of a catch 22 position. No filter socks and you might end up with settlement. With socks and the "bigger" critters in the DSB and refugium is deprived of food.

I like the 300mm water height above the DSB. Add a lot to your total water volume. Plus you can use that same space as refugium. No problem doing that. And 300mm will be deep enough to grow grasses etc. Can even include small powerheads for extra flow. Could be a secondary display.

16. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Looking great Nemeziz_za! I will be following this one!

17. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

Nice one... Gonna be fun to tag allong with this one...

I'm nervious to see the glass thickness... But i can't comment on that as i have NO experience there....

18. Nemeziz_za

Hi,

I just got a package this morning..... :thumbup:

Radion_unpack-(1).jpg

19. ZooCucumber

ZooCucumber

whats in the packet of fragile? :p cmon your'e killing me

Last edited: 8 Nov 2012
  20. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

:iagree:

The temptation to open a delivery at work is always soooo big!!!

C'mon,,, spill the beans... :whistling: :mbounce:

21. Nemeziz_za

You are so right on that!!

Well here we go, a little unpacking show. :lol:

Recent Posts