Nemo

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Neesa, 20 Aug 2009.

1. Neesa

Neesa

Hi Everybody

I have always been an avid bird lover, but since my 3 year old has a great interest in Fish and recently an obsession with the movie "Finding Nemo" - i have embarked on a mini project for myself to learn everything about starting to prepare the fishtank for "our Nemo" and to taking care of the fish. If there is anybody out there that has had the same experience and i am sure that with people that have toddlers they have had the same experience as me - please can you advise where can i start - what do i need to do.

thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Neesa,

welcome to MASA.... enjoy your stay here.

I must stress in the nicest possible way, that the hobby of marine fish keeping is both highly enjoyable, time consuming and unfortunately for the most part rather expensive. For most of us it is an obsession and spending hours on our tanks are labours of love !

You have made an excellent choice by joining MASA first to learn the craft, take it slowly and learn all you need to before you go out and buy your kit. There is a VAST difference between keeping freash water fish and maring fish ... make sure u understand what you are getting yourself into !

4. Neesa

Neesa Thread Starter

Thanks, i have begun my reasearch and i can see that it is very time consuming - but it is also very interesting.

5. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Neesa! Great to have you on-board!

Please have a read through the URL in my signature. You are bound to learn some, and then ask a lot of questions. We would really appreciate it if you asked ALL the questions that you need to ask, BEFORE you go out to a pet shop and buy ANYTHING.....
    At least you would then be making knowledgeable decisions on what to, and not to purchase.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask. Please.

7. werner5

werner5

masahello

8. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome to MASA...

9. Tony

Tony

Hello and welcome to MASA. What I could suggest to you is not to create a finding nemo tank as the clown and shrimp might be OK but the moorish Idol has a dismal survival rate in captivity and the regal tang needs a large tank as they grow fast and can be quiet difficuilt to keep

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Neesa, hope you enjoy your stay with us. Glad you want to learn before you start - always good to ensure that you'll be able to keep our salty friends happy in the right enviroment.
    Like Tony said, to create a "nemo" tank is near impossible - and I'm talking about the moorish idol (Scar) - they are very very difficult to keep in captivity and usually die. Some guys have done it, but not recommended to the less experienced.
    You'll need a lerge tank to keep "Dori" as tangs need a lot of swimming space - they can also be very territorial.
    Nemo (clownfish) is not a problem, but the anemone (his house) is - a tank needs to run stable at least for 9 - 12 months before they can be introduced - good water parameters and the right conditions regarding lights (they need strong lights) and not to have open flow pumps as they can injure the anemone should they move - yes, they move around if they're unhappy.

Ask away if you need help and read through the forums regarding test kits, water parameters, filtration, lights etc.

Good luck :wave2:

11. Annoying

Annoying

:welcometomasa2:

12. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcome to massa neesa!!!
    lots to learn here...so dont be afraid to ask for advice:)
    good luck;)

13. crispin

crispin

welcome to MASA its great that you join, ummmm just please dont get your lighty a copy of kungfu panda, way harder to get the import permits for a giant panda :)

14. magman

magman

Hi Neesa, and welcome....first thing you must know about the forum, is all of us on here can't read or write, hence we have to have pics of everything......even maybe birds for a once off!!!!!

15. Fishfood

Fishfood

:lol: - nice one Crispy!

To add to what Tony said - don't run out and get an anemone for your clown either.
    Get advice and read loads first.This applies to everything you put in your tank - never buy something you don't know about.
    Nice to have someone else on the site who keeps birds.
    I used to breed African Greys,lovebirds,cockatiels,finches etc.
    Also a wonderful hobby.
    Would love to see some pics of your birds.
    As with birdkeeping what you put in, is what you get out in this hobby.
    I can personally vouch for how helpful the site is.
    Also relatively new to the site, after not keeping tanks for a few years and have learnt a staggering amount from these guys.
    Here's wishing you - and your son - many years of happy reefkeeping.
    Do you have the tank yet?
    Please share pics with us - we'd love to see how you're going.

16. Giepie

Giepie

Welcome to MASA, Neesa.

We shall I start...
    Firstly, research - a lot of it... Here at MASA you'll get tons of good advice from a bunch of good people.
    Secondly, patience... Something that we can not teach you here at MASA, but you'll catch on quickly...
    Thirdly, and here I might hit a nerve... You fell for the oldest "kidd-trick" of "Daddy, can I get a Nemo?"
    Lastly, do not be afraid to ask questions - there's nothing like a stupid question... The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

But, on the up-side, this is a fantastic hobby (I'm in it for about 5 months now) and you'll be surprised on how much there is to learn... So sit back (figure of speach) and let your fingers do the clicking on the net... Have fun while learning...;)

17. Giepie

Giepie

Well said, Crispin... Also their diet is worse than Marine fish...

Recent Posts