Nemo may become extinct

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by viper357, 14 Dec 2009.

1. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Read more here - http://www.news24.com/Content/SciTe...33a2/14-12-2009-10-31/Nemo_may_become_extinct

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

Thanks for the link. Good thing they breed well in captivity. Captive bred fish cannot get extinct:biggrin:

4. Annoying

Annoying

It's sad to know that all of these beautiful creatures die because of our sick thirst to energy:(

5. aminyassien

aminyassien

sorry to read that

6. Warr7207

Warr7207

Thank God, we know how to breed Nemo :)

7. Fish Wife

Fish Wife

So sad to think of it... :(:(:(

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

not cool :( wonder if we as the little people can do anything about it.

9. Cryp

Cryp

That is not good news :(
    Breeding in captivity is a good thing but we will never be able to properly introduce them back into the wild though.

10. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

very very sad:(

11. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

You are right. The big problem is first, the LFS and secondly the hobbyist.
    A captive breed fish is more expensive than a wild caught one. The LFS rather buys wild caught fish, even with the mortality, it will become cheaper than a captive bred one. There are some mind changes through the LFS. I know a few, they will buy captive bred clowns even if they are 5 Rand more expensive. Good thinking.
    Secondly the hobbyist. Many people still would buy the cheaper clown.
    If captive bred fish is offered at the LFS, the LFS should inform the customer about the benefits of a captive bred fish. In practice, the breeder has to put the information on the tank from the LFS. The majority of the LFS is to lazy! All the LFS who wants to complain about my statement are not the lazy ones!
    And I mean that.

At the beginning of this year, while I was not aware of the fact, that I bred the first albino clowns, I had an discussion with a LFS about prices.
    I told the LFS, I want X-Amount of Rand for a captive bred clown. I was told, that was far away from their expectation, because the LFS already planned to sell my clowns for 49Rand each. I do all the hard work and the LFS wants to draw the people in his shop with cheap clowns to sell food and other hardware.
    I am not going to drop the prices I want.

The world market requires 50.000 ocellaris per month.

Captive bred fish is absolutly disease free. If the fish got a disease, he caught the disease at the LFS! Captive bred fish is always happy to see you, because he only knows tank environment an the friendly human, who is their food supplier. Captive bred fish will spawn easily. Species like dottybacks are much less agressive as captive bred fish compare to wild ones. Captive bred fish eats every availabe food.
    Frozen or dry food.

I don´t if you guys are aware of the real job behind the captive breeding.
    It sounds so easy. 8am, I am in the hatchery to feed the babies and adults. Last check, preperation for the night and feeding the broodstock takes place at 10pm.
    If a hatch is expected, I lay in bed between 1am and 3am, after the hatched ones are safe in the rearing tank.
    And the best part is, EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!!
    If I´m in bed at 2 or 3am, because of a hatch, I still have to get up early to feed them at 8am. In between 8am and 10pm, another 3 times feeding. Feeding means also feeding the algae and rotifer cultures. I spend at this stage between 4 and 5 hours per day in my hatching room and every month it will be a bit more.
    No boxing day, no public holidays, etc.
    And now the LFS wants to compare my price with the wild caught or poor quality captive bred clown from Malysia or Thailand.
    As soon as my hatchery is my full time job, I want to convince the LFS´s to buy locally produced captive bred fish, if available. You guys could help me with that.
    My price to the LFS wont change the retail price, but his profit! Ask Lanzo, he knows my prices and he still can sell captive bred fish for the normal price.
    One of the main problems with the smaller LFS is the fact, that they order every fish at one place at the time, to save shipping costs. Which I fully understand.
    But especially clowns coming with very nice diseases to the LFS.

Clowns in the states go for 20 USD and in Europe for 15 Euro. Here they go between 65 and 125 Rand, depending on species, colour and size.

12. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

I second you:iagree:

13. LuckyFish

Thanks. The more support, the more changes we can make for the future of our reefs.

14. viper357

viper357 Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

15. LuckyFish

Holy crap. That´s really frightening. The problem is, if we have today a big bang and from tomorrow there will be no CO2 released any more, the CO2 which is already realised until today, will damage the planet for the next 20 years. After then, the planet is going to recover. I am glad, that I can´t see, what my children are going to see, when they are in the age of retirement.

There is one very interesting part in this article. When the sea water becomes more acid, the Nemo can´t find his anemone. I always thought, they find them, because they see the anemone. On the other hand, how must a new born clown know, what an anemone looks like. To smell the anemone, is instinct. So if we have a low ph in our system and add a few captive bred clowns into our tank with an anemone, the clowns can´t find it, because they can´t smell the anemone.

16. Yuri

Yuri

just remember that i am waiting for the first batch of Amphiprion omanensis when you start breeding them
    i want 2 of them

17. LuckyFish

Yuri, first you have to motivate Lanzo to organise a few adults for me.
    The rest should not be a problem.
    I actually have no idea, if Lanzo can get them, how much they will be.

18. Yuri

Yuri

i will remind him
    if i remember thy were not that expensive

19. RUAN

RUAN

Thats Bad Man :(poor Nemo

20. Dane

Dane

I will only buy captive bred fish species. I know this is going to ruffle a few feathers, but far too many aquarists are glib to say that they are "doing their bit" by keeping wild caught fish. They aren't. Unless they are breeding them then all they are doing is depleting natural populations. I am always torn when I got my lfs, because the fish are SO beautiful and I really want them! But I know that for each fish in that store, many more have died in vain, not to mention the carbon cost of catching and flying them all around the world. It is up to the consumer to control the market by choosing only to buy captive bred fish.

rant out.

21. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

of late our LFS has experienced massive losses of clowns and clowns only.. looking good today and then slowly dying over the next 2-3days forcing everyone to go 'get the last clown" to try pair up the 2 before they settle..

i have seen clown breeding hatcheries and fully respect your commitment, trying to run a normal lifestyle and perform the daily necessities of breeding clowns is supermans task..

good on you for making a difference..

unfortunatley we are all to blame as we encite the demand though... albeit from a passionate and caring standpoint we still contribute..

i think we need to revisit our thought for the quality of life on another scale even be it minor.. from a little fishes point of view...

im not saying dont buy fish, im saying dont let its life be in vain and look after it should you choose it.. dont take chances but rather ensure you are well equipped to keep it and dont get it untill you are..

there is another article that was run in our local newspaper earlier this week claiming that all coral will be on the verge of extinction in the next 30-40 years.. they are actually collecting frags of species and 'freezing them..

i hope my childrens children will be able to enjoy a fraction of what we do today..

thought provoking..

Recent Posts