Urgent help needed Nemo and Dorry not swimming around

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Blade786, 11 Feb 2012.

1. Blade786

Blade786

Hi guys, I've have bit of a problem. About 3weeks ago, I bought 2 nemos, the smaller had some white thing coming out of his back side then died about a week later. The bigger one also had the same thing but eventually it disappeared. Now the big one does not swim around at all, it stays under the rocks everyday the whole day and doesn't even come out to eat. I also have a mini Dorry, about the size of a 50c coin, she eats well but she also stays in one spot the whole day and doesn't move around. It's rather dissapointing coz u want to see ur fish swim around and through the rocks ect.

I have a 80l cube, with a 700l/h return pump as well as a seio 530 2000l/h power head in the tank, could it be that the current is too strong for them to swim around in ?

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Feb 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

pic's tell a thousand words bud.

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Water parameters??

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I edited your thread, I'm sure you meant mini "Dorry" and not "Sorry"???
    Anyway, the flow will not be too strong for them, a healthy fish will swim in that with no problem.
    How did you acclimatise them?

On a side note, it will not be a problem right now, but a 80litre tank is way too small for a regal tang (Dorry) when they get bigger, so you might have to make alternative plans in the future ;)

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Agreed

7. juan R

juan R

Need more info, pics, age of system, parameters. Sounds like the fish were already sick when you bought them.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

that Dorry is really small. And will tend to hide, especially if no other small fish are around. The changes of being eaten when one your own is a lot bigger than in a school.

But as asked, what are your water parameters?

9. Blade786

Blade786 Thread Starter

I will be checking the parameters tomorrow. I had a look at the Dorry yesterday and her stomach seemed to be overfull, she has been eating those tiny amphipods that hatched and now on my tank glass, but she eats them the whole day.

I acclimitised them properly - put all my fish on the drip for an hour - one and a half hours and then i let them float on the tank for another 30min - 45 min.

I think the 2 nemo's i got were sick, thats why the small one died, like i said, they had a long white string like thingy coming out of there backsides.

Hope is not too serious coz now even my dorry is hiding away the whole day.

Tank is running for about 7 weeks now but i got about 10kg's of indo live rock in my tank.

Will see if i can get a pic of the fish tonight, they in the rocks so its difficult.

My cleaner shrimp is 100%, no issues with him.

oh, and i my dorry has the itch i think, she was scratching herself on the rocks yesterday.

10. juan R

juan R

The cycle period for a tank is very important and there is no definite time period for that, it all depends on what filtration system you have and how mature the live rock is that you put in etc etc. The point is while the system is cycling it goes through all the stages, not going to discuss that here as there are many threads on that, but once all your parameters are in check then only should/ can you start stocking with fish etc. If your tank has not cycled properly and you get an ammonia spike for instance while you have fish in there then they could go into shock and that could cause white spot and maybe even death. Remember that your system must have enough denitrifying capabilities to counter the bioload that a fish causes when you introduce it to your system and if your system is not mature enough to handle that then you will have a spike of ammonia and this is of course is toxic to fish. Hope this helps, i am sure all the more experienced reefers will agree. Where did you buy the fish from? are you close to a lfs, maybe he can guide you more on the introduction of livestock to your aquarium. Goodluck and i hope this will help. Remember we all make these mistakes but that is how we learn, this is my lesson that i learnt. Dont get dispondant, we are here to help as best we can.

11. Zuna

Zuna

where in bosmont are you buddy

12. Blade786

Blade786 Thread Starter

@Zuna, i live around the corner from the ST Barnabas.

Sadly Dorry died yesterday.......Eish, Thanks for all the advise people...really appreciate it

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts