Neil's first reef tank

Reaction score
Took the plunge and sold my FW fish last week and have started setting up my first reef tank.

DT of 120X45wX60h and a sump of 90X42X42, so total system volume is around 400l of water.
IM modded the sump from FW for me. Bubble trap, skimmer chamber, DSB and return. The only possible problem I see is the depth of the DSB? Its sitting at 15cm but I will be using Aragamax. Is that a sufficient depth?

IMG_1812Medium.jpg

IMG_1810Medium.jpg

IMG_1811Medium.jpg

Lighting is provided by a 8X39W pendant
Due to the low height of the stand, I had to get a Tunze Classic skimmer, like so:

677ae0a2f3.jpg

Which is rated for 1100l. Hopefully arriving in 3 weeks time...

Big fill of RO water should start next week....

woohoo, and the dark side welcomes another member:lol:! If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the skimmer?

I think Butcherman has a slightly older version of the same skimmer. His being the 9011 and mine being the 9211.

Still cant believe how small the skimmer actually is, now that I can see its partition in the sump.

Dimensions: L 280 x W 157 x H 235 mm (L 11 x W 6.1 x H 9.2 in.)
http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=US&user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter029

Nice dude!! That is a beaut of a skimmer!! I might look into something like that in the future... It would actually be perfect for my system too!!

Don't forget, you also have a few kilo's of LR as well!!

What are you wanting to keep in this tank? Fish, corals, inverts?

Haven't decided yet.

Definitely Zoa's, softies and an open brain or two. Fish wise I HAVE to get a pair of Perculas. Would love a smaller Tang, but I think my DT is too small.

Invert wise definitely some shrimp!

Cool! There are a couple of Tangs that you could get. The Kole tang apparently gets to around 17cm, which should be fine in your tank. That skimmer will power it's way through any bad stuff in the tank.

I also would love a pair of Perculas! A black pair would be even cooler!! I got some polyps on some of the rock too... If I can figure out how to move a few, you are welcome to some as well...

Update, big fill has started. Added about 3cm of playsand to the DT and added 50l of RO last night. Sump went in yesterday to have the final baffle replaced with a taller one ie 15cm to 25cm, should be picking it up later this afternoon.

Bad news on the skimmer, it arrived in JHB yesterday, was on its way to George in Durban and the truck was hijacked :( Waiting to hear from George/Anita on where to from here

Update, big fill has started. Added about 3cm of playsand to the DT and added 50l of RO last night. Sump went in yesterday to have the final baffle replaced with a taller one ie 15cm to 25cm, should be picking it up later this afternoon.

Bad news on the skimmer, it arrived in JHB yesterday, was on its way to George in Durban and the truck was hijacked :( Waiting to hear from George/Anita on where to from here

Bad news on the skimmer dude! :(

how about some pics of your progress? you know we cant do without them :razz:

Will update when I get the sump this afternoon. Not much to see really, a DT with a bit of murky water and some sand :)

hmmmmm...

This is almost as bad as sean`s phone bill. Wonder what these "people" are going to do with the nice tunze stuff.

Pics to follow later this afternoon/evening. 100l of RO in, only another 300 to go :whistling:

Skimmer is gone. So have to wait for another to be landed :( Hopefully arriving first week in June. Guess I better make sure the DSB is up to scratch before any livestock is added

Back
Top Bottom