Needle Wheel Pumps

AndreT

Retired Moderator
Sponsor
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can buy a needle wheel pump from?

And what are they called? (Brands)

And what is the smallest one you get?

Anyone know where I can buy a needle wheel pump from?

And what are they called? (Brands)

And what is the smallest one you get?

The only ones I know of is Aquamedic I know you get the Ocean runner 3500, in a needle wheel, and then there is the Ocean runner, I think it is the 2000 or 2500 that you get in a needle wheel, that one is the smallest in Aquamedic as far as I know.

You could try the AM or Octo ranges. Both these brands go down to the 2000L range.

The reeftek skimmers are running Resun needlewheel pumps, not sure if you can buy them separately though.

I see you enjoy doing DIY, why not do a search on ReefCentral.com for needlewheel and meshwheel, there are a couple of good threads there detailing exactly how you can turn your current impeller into a needlewheel or meshwheel impeller. Very interesting reading.

I have never seen Octo here in JHB, are they good quality pumps ??

Octopus pumps, They go as small as 1000l.
Problem is I don't know if the dealers sell them seperatley, but you can always try with one of the LFS's up there that stock the range.
I know Millepora here in Durban does the range.

I looked and Northlands sell the OR range. But do those pumps come with the needle wheel as a rule because it's not mentioned?

Psycho, where did you see the octos?

EDIT: Sorry, read it wrong.

I have never seen Octo here in JHB, are they good quality pumps ??
They are the haelia range of pumps that have been renamed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I might give Mille a ring if I don't do the DIY thing...lol.

I've had a look at DIY'ing the impeller, but I think it would be too much of a mission. My current pump is chopping up the water efficiently enough I think, but it's making a little bit of a noise. That can only mean one thing, it's gonna give soon. After all, it wasn't made to suck in air.

Same as the haelia - Branded as Reef Octopus ;)

Dont know you will have to get hold of the stockists, i have a feeling that the Octo may be the more cost effective option.

The problem is getting hold of the material in this country.

I've seen something similar at the local hardware store, so I reckon if you scout around, you'll find something suitable.

I'll take a closer look at the mesh stuff I saw a while back. Maybe i could post you some if I think it'll work.

Back
Top Bottom