Need your input on this please...

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Tobes, 8 Dec 2010.

1. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Right, we always hear that the Metro police is searching cars at roadblocks and they say you will get a huge fine if you have copied cd's and dvd's in the car.
    I can understand if you copy to sell and have 100's in your possession. Now my question:
    If I have say 20 mp3 cd's in my car, made by myself from music on my pc and from original cd's that I ripped to my pc - will I get in trouble?
    If yes, why do they sell empty cd's?
    I do it to protect my original cd's as it's cheaper to replace a R2 disc than a R150 cd.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I have never heard of anyone being fined for this at a roadblock. Yes all the emails went past and all that but until I hear or experience this myself they can go to hell. And if you do get a fine, I reckon you can fight it by providing them with the original disk.

4. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Well Tobes I buy my music online & the only way to listen to bought tracks on another device is to burn it to a blank cd. A few months back I got pulled over at a road block & metro pig asked if those cd's were legal & if so where was my proof of purchase? Yes I do, Now you tell me who on this planet is going to keep proof of purchase in their car with them, it's the same with mp3 players how am I going to keep slips for 50gig or even 1TB of music in my car? That was my response & almost got arrested for that remark but miss muffet convinced the pig to let me go as no crime was committed. The pigs recon if you have copied cd's in your possession you have to have proof of purchase for the original with you. Biggest load of BS I've ever heard. I keep my 2TB external with me all the time & almost full of only music & music production programs, can you imagine what massive file I need to carry with the external never mind how stupid that will look. So ja as long as you have proof of purchase at hand then the metro pigs can't do or say jack about it.

5. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Just tell them you have the originals at home.

6. Tobes

Tobes Thread Starter Retired Moderator

What if all the music is bought online and you burned it to a few discs? How the hell can you give proof of purchase for the original disc if there isn't any?

7. keyaam

keyaam

Buy an ipod and itrip! Cops are scared of gadgets

8. lIghty

lIghty

what would happen to people with mp3 players?

ask them if they have a serch warrant?

9. Keanan

Keanan 2time

They'd probably want to see some sort of proof as well. And I bet if you should go and have a look in their patrol cars, you going to find these so called illegal cd's. Typical SA cops.:whistling:

10. Pistolshrimp

Pistolshrimp

if they dont have a search warrant they have no right to touch anything in your vehicle

Recent Posts