Need your advice and input guys

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by 4age, 25 Jul 2011.

1. 4age

4age

Hi Guys

Due to circumstances( ie looming Marriage)…I was unable to proceed with my 2m FOWL set up…as I am not sure if I will be moving to my own place after getting married. I figured it would be pointless as I have no guarantee that I will b able to take a 2m tank with me due to the size implications.

I do however still desire to set up a salt water tank towards the end of the year…but require a set up that will meet the following criteria..

1. A size that not too big..but not too small either…I was not looking forward
    to filling the 2m or doing wc on it due to the amount of water, so would
    like something small…on the other hand, the problem with going smaller
    is that more time is needed to monitor water quality, salinity etc.

2. A tank that is not too time consuming or difficult to maintain..I was thinking
    of going softies..with a selection of some nice fish that will not outgrow the
    tank.

3. A dimension that will be easy to light without me having to sell my body at
    night to cover electricity for lighting.

4. Something I can move around and will fit in most places

I have sold some of my equipment from my 2m tank..still have Live rock (10-15kgs) and RO unit…I do have one dual 54w T5 light unit that I can use on a prospective tank..will have to get more

Anyhoooww..what advice and suggestions do you guys have on the ideal size tank..i don’t really wana do a standard 4foot tank as im tired of the size ( I have 7 already), and I am able to build pretty much any dimension tank as I know someone who can source glass at a good price and I can build the tank myself..was thinking of the following sizes..

Option1

130 L x 70 W x 60 H…or 130 L x 75W x 60 H

Option2

100L x 60W x 60 H or 100L x 70-75 W x 60 H

I can reduce the heights of the tanks…but want it to look good too…wrt Sumps, I have spare 1,2 m and 90cm tanks..so I can make a plan..what you guys think?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

For smaller tanks i have always like the cube's something like a 600 cubbe, very effecient for light usage and i think they always look good.

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i would personally look at something different to the norm.. but it needs to be something that will generally fit in anywhere..

1.3 is also a cool size.. but as said before it comes down to the materials used to construct the tank that will make it a mission to move.. a standard 4ft for EG or 1.3 as described above) in 6mm glass will take about 2 guys to move but when you construct it in 10mm will require about 4 people..

if this is the case you may as well go with a 2m as 4 people will be able to pick it up :)

not sure i have made sence in the advice i have tried tooffer but being someone who moved alot and may still do so i have tried to find a good allround solution

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I agree with Alan, a cube looks awesome.

6. 4age

4age Thread Starter

thanks for the advice so far guys..really appreciate it..@ALLAN and tobes...cubes are awesome...might look into that..but i dont want somethin too small..i had a nano..managing salinity was a PITA coz it fluctuated so quickly.

im not too worried about moving the tank..if push comes to shove i can take it down and jst rebuild at new place..i jst want a nice size thats not a mission to maintain yet big enough to keep me occupied until i can set up a monster reef tank:yeahdude:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i went 5ft this last time but im stressing about if i have to move it...

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I had a cube 600 x 600 x 500h and used a auto top unit. I never had any salinity fluctuations. And also make sure the water you use for waterchange is same salinity than tank.
    You can look at a 1m x 1m x 0.6h - nice size :)

Recent Posts