Need to start pod population for mandarin

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Barlan, 12 Sep 2013.

1. Barlan

Barlan

Hi all

How do i go about populating my new tank with copepods and amphipods?

i've read that chaeto and live rock contain loads, but i dont have chaeto and i dont want to introduce aiptasia from the LR in my current tank. What about adding a few cups of tank water? It should have some pods in it, right? how much would i need to add to get the population started? (new tank is 1500x60x80)

My mandarin plucks at the rocks and sand all the time, and i think she eats roe when i feel them (generally hides from the feeding frenzy) but she's chubby, so she seems fine. I need to start the pod population in the new tank, so she wont starve if she doesnt eat at first after the move.

If i put a piece of LR into the sump, will the pods die if i expose the rock to air? i need to break it apart, the division for the LR isnt big by any means. I'm obviously not going to dip the rock cause i'm sure that'll kill the pods and probably not kill the pests, as murphy would have it! :p

Any suggestions? solutions? chaeto for dontation? :blush:

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

4. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

Hi Belinda

Nice idea, thanks.

Any idea on how long it'll take to populate the amount of water i have, or is it one of those, "only time will tell" situations? i had pods all over my glass within a week on my first tank - actually panicked cause i thought my tank was infested :)

Just one more thing, and this is me being pedantic, will exposing the pods to air for a few seconds cause them to die? or are they quite resilient? i'm just thinking, that when i move the condos from the sump to a bucket to the tank, there will be air exposure. so it would be useful to know if they are sensitive like some corals or if they'll be fine to a bit of air.

thanks again.

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I'm not sure about how long it will take to populate...I guess one man's slow is another man's fast...:blush: They are very resilient...I've taken my LR out and scrubbed off Coralline Algae/GHA or just left them exposed to air with aqua-scaping and they still survived...:p..some just recently survived my scrubbing of kalkwasse-paste...they crawl into the holes, so it's damp/wet...they can "survive" under the right circumstances..:blush:

6. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

They will be fine if exposed for only a minute or so. :)

7. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

haha, thats true.

8. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

I have eggcrate and the gutter guard stuff, the eggcrate should give it some rigidity as well. will make one this weekend. Thanks for the DIY

9. mandarinman

mandarinman

Mini brine shrimp feeder

10. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

Hi guys. Just wanted to know if your std garden mesh won't leech stuff into the water, I have lots but it doesn't help if it leeches. The link above talks about gutter guard. It's all plastic at the end of day. But I have to make sure.

Are all the different sizes and colours of garden Mesh fine to use?

If I should look for an alternative pls let me know.

Thanks all

B

11. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

I hope not, heres the one i made this fri

IMG04158-20130929-1311.jpg

IMG04157-20130929-1310.jpg

IMG04156-20130929-1310.jpg

12. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

Nice :) looks way better than mine. :blush:

my project for the night :)

13. MadScientist

MadScientist

Just a question for those following this thread.. among our aquascapes we have certain areas amongst the piled up rocks that other fish cannot get to.. these are also in our sumps for those that have live rock in their sumps. wont these areas that are difficult to get to and that dont get disturbed provide enough pods for a mandarin fish or two(in a mature system)?... is a "pod pile" still needed?

14. crispin

crispin

pods are extremly effective at hiding and crawling into small spaces, ive seen tanks with lr open and exposed to predation that had pods on it simply because they can crawl into the tight holes, crevices and dents on the lr and be sheltered there. It goes to logical thought that having an area where pods are specifically protected will allow the population to mantain itself, although in my experience that isnt necesarry (and possibly detrimental to a tank with reduced flow due to the tightly packed nature of the rocks causeing detritus build up).

If a tank is set up propperly and allowed to cycle a decent amount of time (i am a firm believer in letteing a tank go through 6-8 weeks without fish and lots of quality LR, longer if you can) then a pod population will establish, expand and should be big enough to withstand the predation from a fish like a mandarin or a small wrasse (six line or the like).

Where people fall down is that they introduce a number of predatory fish species (on pods) which reduce the critical mass and thus the population crashes. But given time and allowed to establish properly a pod population will easily sustain fairly heavy predation without the need for special protective measures like rock stacks etc.

15. MadScientist

MadScientist

I agree with the above. and this is my reason for also being against a pod pile. to me its more a detritus pile. I have a mandarin fish in my tank for over a year now. Hes fat and happy, and the food supply is purely from the pods that are in ALL the LR in the tank.

16. Quintin

Quintin

I have thousands of pods living in my sump.
    Some are as big as 20mm in length and multiply like it is going out of fashion.
    The secret is some Caulerpa and a some rocks (doesn't have to be live rock).

1.jpg

17. Quintin

Quintin

Some pics for you.
    This form a piece of Caulerpa about 7cm across.
    You will see about 3 pods that have jumped off the Caulerpa.
    Then a small serpent star.
    And a couple of pods in my hand from about 5mm to 10mm in length.

Good for:
    1. Nitrate and Phosphate control - Caulerpa
    2. Clean up grew - serpent star / pods
    3. Feeding the fish - pods

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

18. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

Eish.. if only you had posted this earlier or yesterday I was gonna ask you to send some Caulerpa with the pump

19. Quintin

Quintin

Sorry man.
    Promise to give you some if you are ever up in JHB or have someone going to your side of the world that is willing to pop past and collect some.

20. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

haha no worries. I'm still few weeks away from wetting my new tank so no rush. I had cheato in my current tank but wasn't couldn't really see any progress with it so I ended up taking it out

21. Quintin

Quintin

OK man.
    But you are really wasting your time with Cheato in the tank.
    When you are ready I will send you some of this stuff.
    Full of life, very aggressive and fast growing.
    Pods and bugs love it and never went sexual on me.
    Run it in your sump with the light on 24/7 and you wont have a problem. ;)

Recent Posts