Need to find reason Zoas are dying - are these good or bad?

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by AndreM, 17 Jun 2011.

1. AndreM

AndreM

I'm trying to find a reason some of my zoas are dying. The problem seems limited to one, maybe two rocks and on those rocks, limited to a specific colony. They wouldn't open for a while and now it looks like they're turning brown.

I have other rocks in the tank with the same zoas on them which are thriving and have no issues, so I'm thinking it's something in the rock or close to the rock.

I waited a few hours after the lights went out and took these pictures. They're not great pictures because I had to use a flashlight, and even with the flashlight the creepies would run and hide after a few seconds.

Are these things good or bad?

First up, some sort of segmented worm coming out of a hole in the rock. This was not the only one, just the most visible ones. It was the only one that looked like it was segmented though. The other worms coming out of the rocks looked smooth. Length was maybe 3cm.

[​IMG]

It withdrew back into the rock quite quickly in the light of the flashlight.

[​IMG]

Then there are tiny little snails, maybe 3-5mm:

[​IMG]

After taking the picture I also saw this one on the edge of the photograph. I digitally enchanced it :)

[​IMG]

And finally, a crab. I'm pretty sure this guy is bad for a reef tank, but would it cause the zoa problems? I didn't even see him at first, my wife pointed him out, he blends in very well with the rocks.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. rakabos

rakabos

Its simple, anything u dont know what it is and especially when its on the zoas, REMOVE IT

4. archiecrain

archiecrain

What lighting are you running and what and nutrient levels like? (nitrate)

5. AndreM

AndreM Thread Starter

Running 6 T5's: 2x actinic 54W, 2x white 39W, 1x pink 39W, 1x blue 39W.
    Total photo peroid is between 12 and 14 hours on three timers (actinics comes on first and goes off last). I don't think it's the light because the majority of the zoa colonies, button polyps, xenia and elegance coral are doing great.

Nitrates are testing as 0. (DSB, Skimmer, Weekly Special Blend dosing).

Last edited: 17 Jun 2011
  6. AndreM

AndreM Thread Starter

Heheh, sounds like's a good idea, but I would like to understand why too. The things I saw are not exactly ON the zoas, just on the same rock. I don't want to remove things that could be beneficial.

7. archiecrain

archiecrain

Low nutrients perhaps?

I have much the same issue as you which I attribute to low nutrients nitrate etc undetectable.....some zoa colonies carry on fine and others simply close up and stay closed...and once a zoa is unwell everything eats them pods worms everything....

8. archiecrain

archiecrain

I never asked how long you had the zoas?

9. AndreM

AndreM Thread Starter

According to my aquarium log I added the rock on 2011-05-13 :) so a little over a month. You think perhaps they've been slowly starving?

10. archiecrain

archiecrain

Im certainly not an expert, but Its possible.....Some of my zoas look the same as yours....they also go a bit wrinkly....

All my zoas are taking strain and so starting to feed the tank a lot.

Do you add anything in the form of coral foods?

Last edited: 17 Jun 2011
  11. AndreM

AndreM Thread Starter

No specific coral foods, but I do feed the fish veggie flakes every day, and some frozen shrimp every now and then.

12. archiecrain

archiecrain

Hmmm not sure let some one with more experience give some insight into this....

13. Tremayn

Tremayn

My orange zoas are also like this.. I dont know why.. All the other ones are fine..

14. AndreM

AndreM Thread Starter

Here is a picture of what is happening to the zoas, when I got the rock all the zoas were open, now it looks like this:

[​IMG]

The orange square is the hole where the worm comes out at night (from the first picture I posted).

Also, coming home today I spotted this on another zoa rock. A slug:

[​IMG]

I removed the slug, give me the creeps! Here is a another picture of it:

[​IMG]

15. Tremayn

Tremayn

The slug, does it have a small shell on its back? Looks like a stomatella snail, reef safe. Zoas close when the snail touches them but then they open up again.

16. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Hi Andre do you or have you ever dipped any coral in a iodine mixture? Iodine complexed to a protective slime coat for safely & gently disinfecting corals. It is effective against bacteria, fungus & protozoans. It may be used prophylacticaly (without evidence of disease) or to remedy diseased specimens. I dip every coral/frag before adding the secimen to the tank as it may be carrying any nasties & contaminat the tank. Rather be safe than sorry & dip the specimen.

Oh & that gorilla crab, sump it asap it will bother/injure your coral. I had a number of them (+- 5)& thought they were cute but then chaos, then gave them to my mantis shrimp to sort them out & he had a leka meal, not even giving them a chance to hide an awesome pest muncher.

17. AndreM

AndreM Thread Starter

It does, like a small perlemoen shaped shell. I placed the slug in the sump.

Hmm, should I do this with all my zoa rocks? Will it kill off anything beneficial, like pods? Almost all my rocks have zoas on them.

He's a tough bugger to catch. I thought I had him, but what I pulled out ended up just being an emty shell, he must have molted.

Any ideas on the worm, or the snails?

18. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I dip every coral/frag that goes into the tank & yes will kill off pods etc.

Sorry not sure on the worms or snail.

19. Elrond

Elrond

AndreM, I've had (might still have) exactly the same problem. I religiously dip my corals with iodine and sadly it kills pretty much everything except the coral. I removed 5 crabs so far. I'm not sure I've solved the problem of my closed/upset Zoas. We'll see. Have you done a full check of the basics? Alk, Ca, mg and Salinity? Sometimes one colony is just the first to react to the conditions. The others might follow.

20. Elrond

Elrond

Sorry, I should've added to the above. Just start by dipping the coral in question and see how it reacts. Maybe if it's something localised other than the crab, you'll nuke it.

21. KeeganP

KeeganP

I agree here, If there is fungus starting to grow on one colony it will soon spread,
    Dip the affected colonies asap, or remove them before other good colonies get affected.

Recent Posts