Need to assemble tank

Reaction score
Hi, I need to assemble a 2.4m tank for someone inhouse (No doors to fit prebuild tank) 2.4mx 0.5m x 0.5m 10mm glass all round. 4 braces 120mm wide 10mm glass.

This is what I had in mind, please crit and comment.

Thanks
2400x500x500mmtopview.jpg

2400x500x500mmsidev.jpg

10mm glass should be fine as it is only 50cm high. Bracing looks good at the top. Will you be adding bracing to the bottom of the tank as well?

Hi, thanks for reminding me about the bracing at the bottom. Will put them in and repost.

Thanks

Wikus

Top bracing looks a bit overkill to me. BUT better safe than sorry though. If you have to have cross bracing, I am not convinced you would need it here, then fit it in a manner that it does not interfere with lighting. I assume you have done this by the way you have situated the cross bracing. I am assuming 5 Metal Halides?

Looks good.

I just hate cross bracing and would personally go with just the front and back strips and side strips.

Agreed.

At only 500mm high you probably don't need the cross bracing. I would move the outermost two cross braces to the ends, and perhaps widen the braces running lengthwise slightly to form proper Euro-bracing around the tank. The remaining two cross braces can then be put in at 1/3 and 2/3 spacing just as "bolts and braces" - this will give you much more room and easier access to the tank.

Hennie

My updates to the design. Thanks for all the help with the design.

2400x500x500mmsideview.jpg

2400x500x500mmfullview.jpg

Looking good, but you could move the two cross braces nearer to the ends of the tank, so one at each end and one in the middle, and don't have them sitting on top of the tank, sort out the side braces just low enough to have the cross braces flush with the top.
As above, what lighting do you intend using? if you are using a triple Mh then it would be better to brace either side of the central Mh lamp (and still have the other braces at each end, that way you will get the best from your lighting.

Okay try 3 :p 2400x500x500mm 10mm glass. braces all 50mm wide except for the middle brace which is 120mm. Crit and comment please.

2400x500x500mmbracedtopview.jpg

2400x500x500mmbracedside.jpg

Thanks

Wikus

IMO, think you should drop the middle brace and put 2 in a third from the side, otherwise the length will be 1.2m either side of the brace, seems to long, with 2 braces it will be 800mm between them and the edge.

IMO, think you should drop the middle brace and put 2 in a third from the side, otherwise the length will be 1.2m either side of the brace, seems to long, with 2 braces it will be 800mm between them and the edge.

We need to know the lighting set up really, to sort out the cross braces for best positioning.

Thanks, I do not know the lights setup yet. But I like the idea of the 1/3 from the side brace.

I'll go with that.

Wikus

Okay here is then what the final beta should look like

2400x500x500mm2braced.jpg

And some eye candy (I hope) to say thanks. A shot from my tank after the move from my house to the shop

marines04-01-08032.jpg

Hi cybervic

From personal experience on long tanks like that I would make the top long braces at least 75mm wide and double brace them. The few extra rands you spend on two more braces is worth it. I have recently seen a 2 meter (not one of mine) tank in 12mm with one top long brace cracked. Bouble brace should have stoped this from happening.

There is no difference from a small tank to a big tank, same principle just bigger bits, the glass is much thicker - i've seen 19mm and 24 mm glass used in 3 or 4m tanks and the cross bracing is just wider, but essentially the same process.

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it. This tank will unfortunatley never be built. They guy asking me for all the info decided it will cost him too much at the end of the day. But I think this thread gave everyone that want to do their own tank lots of good valuable info.

Thanks Again

Back
Top Bottom