Need Some Serious Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by PoPe_G, 21 Apr 2009.

1. PoPe_G

PoPe_G

Hey Guys

I need some advice with regards to the tank, everything from the lights to filtration etc!

The tank has been running for about a year now. And only recently had new corals added. Some fish have been there since the start. Two new Sera 38w tubes have also been added to the other two in the last 3 mths. One Marine 15k and one Daylight.

The UV tube has gone and hasn't had any effect on the tank. So the pump is still running inside the sump.

The leather coral has been in the tank for about 3 months now. The Buttons also about 3 months. The Anenome and the Finger Coral have been in the tank for about a month now. There are a couple mushrooms in the tank and have been there for two months....They keep migrating off the rocks though.

The Parameters are as follows:
    PH-8.2
    KH-10dKh
    NO2-0mg/l
    NO3-50mg/l
    Cu-0mg/l
    Ca-400mg/l
    Salinity-1.024
    Temperature-26deg

Below are a couple pics.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Everything looks cool except for the nitrates which are a tad high. Try and get them down to about 20ppm.

4. crispin

crispin

that tank doesnt look too bad:) a few issues but nothing massive! :)

its got a good sized skimmer (do you know waht make and rating?) which is a bonus and looks like a fairly shallow tank ( do you have dimensions?) so the lights should be able to penertrate. But thats the good news, lets get into where i think some issues lie :)

that nennie looks like he is in deep trouble, way too white and bleached. Please start a threat seperatley on him, you will need lots of help with it!

The lights definatley need to be under reflectors. Please ask him to get some it will greatly improve the lighting to that nennie.
    the substrate looks like a detritus trap similar to cat litter (and thats what cats use it for) and I think will need slow replacing. There are lots of threads on masa talking about which substrate to use, dig around and you will find it. If he is on a budget thats tight go with playsand, if he can afford it aragonite is the way i would go, but its alot more expensive and many think not worth it. To my mind it is:)

the ceramic rings in the sump are not great either and between those two i think thats where your nitrates are comming from. I would start with removing the ceramic rings slowly over time (a handful a week or so) Thankfully its a mature system so the LR should have a good population of benificial bacteria designed to break the crap down.

after the ceramics are out you could start removing the substrate, again very slowly. It will be filthy and will disturb lots of crap into the water collum, you dont want that to spike too much and damage water parameters, especially with that nennie like it is (after thought i would advocate taking that nennie out till all these changes are done)

having said its a mature system i would also advocate a little more LR ONCE THE CERAMICS ARE OUT NOT BEFORE, to add diversity and increase the biological filtration.

GOOD news is I think he has MOSt of the equipment he needs, so there shouldnt be a large expenditure of cash to sort it out, but please answer those questions first :)

5. PoPe_G

PoPe_G Thread Starter

The skimmer is a Jebo Quadplex Skimmer (something like that).

Sorry...My Bad
    Dimensions: 155cmx45cmx55cm
    Volume: +-400 litres I think?

will fine crushed coral be better for the sump and as the substrate?

and I will have those ceramic rings taken out slowly as you said.

I added two clownfish into the tank today only after I took the pics though. What do you think the problem could be?

And light reflectors, any idea how much they cost and where to get them from? Also is the lighting sufficient?

6. crispin

crispin

for reflectors contact one of the sponsors on here....post in the sponsors forum. I am not sure where in JHB u are from but i should say that Idol Marine is probably your closest, although Moolis and Dory pets would be able to ship them to you. I would actually venture to syggest you go visit all those guys, see what its taken them to set it up before going into marines :)

7. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Agreed.

8. crispin

crispin

hennie, few people are better than you at assesing a system straight off, could you give you honest and if needed brutal opinion on this one?

some slight background Pope is an LFS that doesnt deal in marines so has joined MASA as a way of learning so he can give an educated opinion if customers ask. He was asked to look at this tank and is advizing them on it, I would just like to know that he has peer review on the advice he might give out.

so your thoughts would be welcomed :)

9. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hmmmmm, just after a quick look and not reading the entire thread.
    Your substrate looks far too course you are going to be looking for a substrate of about sugar grain size.
    I would look at upgrading the skimmer, yes the Jebo's do work but require too much fiddling to keep them running properly.
    Remove the ceramic rings and install a Deep Sand Bed and that will start to reduce your nitrates which in a reef tank should be kept under 10ppm.
    Your Anemone is in serious trouble it is bleached (remember you get no white nennies in nature), needs special care to get it back to its original condition.
    Lighting is enough for low light corals and not anything demanding, and sorry to say it certainly not for an anemone.
    Also dont see any pumps for water flow in the display??

10. Anemone

Anemone

Your lighting definately needs to be increased. Bulbs with individual reflectors is best. The anemone is in trouble. I have found that anemones do best with a salinity of 1.026. Increasing the salinity with pre-mixed saltwater as your daily top off until you have reached your goal is a good way to increase the salinity slowly.

I would also change out the substrate. This is going to cause your tank to go through a cycle again, which is not good for the anemone. Is there someone that can care for the anemone while you make the necessary changes?

11. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Well, previous advice given by Alan, Crispin and anemone has basically covered everything I would have said :thumbup:

to recap:

• the substrate is too course, and also appears to be too shallow
    • this, together with the ceramic "noodles" and inadequate skimmer is most likely the cause of the high NO3 level
    • the lighting is inadequate for most hard corals, and definitely not enough for an anemone
    • it's not ideal to have so many damsels, and the wrasse will probably kill all the "goggas" in the live rock and sand. It will also disturb the proper operation of a DLSB when it digs into it every night
    • there are bubble algae in the tank - kill all of them before they really infest the tank (if it's not already too late...)
    • the cyano visible on some of the rocks is an indication of high nutrients, and (possibly) too little flow in the tank.
    Hennie

12. PoPe_G

PoPe_G Thread Starter

Guys....Thanks for all your help.

The substrates gonna have to change, do I use fine crushed coral? Will that suffice? And it should be done slowly, correct?

The rings will be removed over time, say a handful a week? And replaced with a handful (per week) of riversand or crushed coral (haven't found any aragonite yet).

What lighting would you guys suggest? Keeping in mind that we would eventually add more corals...hard & soft!

Will one wrasse make such an impact on the ecosystem, or should we just not add anymore wrasses?

How would one rid the tank of the bubble algae?

There are two via aqua internal powerheads (2000l/h) in the tank already, do you guys suggest i remove them and put in stronger pumps?

13. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Pope

for substrate / DSB use well washed reggies playsand, also remove and replace the coral slowly.

yes one wrasse does make a difference as they can consume a lot of "good guys" cliving in / on the rocks and substrate. youy can always add more rock...will also help with filtration

dont chuck the old pums, rather add more at different angles etc to create more random flow

as for lights...sorry im still trying to figure that one out myself:p

14. FransSny

FransSny

o sorry ...byubble algea can be carefully broken off at the root with your nail, they come off easily, just dont "pop" them !

15. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Im just curious why do you use play sand...forgive me if im wrong...do they not make glass with play sand someone pls clarify that for me pls

16. FransSny

FransSny

sorry riyadhessa..i dont understand the "make glass" part...heres my 2C on using playsand.

Crushed coral (i started off with that) traps crap...HIGH nitrates, also potential to hurt (sharp edges) burrowing species.

Playsand has a fine texture and small particle size, thus making it easier for the good googgas to multiply and thus acting as DSB in you DT. lot cheaper than aragonite (but takes longer to become live. us who live in taxiteng has limited options....no beaches to collect sand from:p

17. crispin

crispin

dont chuck those just yet. use them a while and sort out the issues above, then you can upgrade and add some new ones at a later stage.

Your areas of priority at the moment:
    1. Upgrade lighting with two or 4 new T5 bulbs and add reflectors to each tube (both new and old!)
    2. Upgrade skimmer. A reef octopus or the like, TS2, or deltec, or tunze....a decent brand! A second hand skimmer is more than likely sufficient, look on classifieds.
    3. I would like you to find a mature holding tank that can nurse that nennie to health, that system is just too unstable to have him in there and there are going to be changes that nennie is not going to like. please ask on forum if anyone is willing to look after him for three months or so. MYHO!
    4. start removing the noodles. Handful at a time and do 10-15% water changes weekly.
    5. Source substrate and once all noodles are out, wait two to three weeks and remove perhaps 1/5 of the old sand and replace. repeat each two weeks.
    6. Start removing the bubble algae
    and thats all for now :)

phew that took a while, need a :peroni: now

Reef Maniac likes this.
  18. PoPe_G

PoPe_G Thread Starter

for all your help I'll buy you a case of :peroni:!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

19. crispin

crispin

brilliant, but will send it to Norway too :) lol

20. crispin

crispin

to be honest, to watch that you getting that tank sorted and saving that nennie is satisfying enough for me :)

21. PoPe_G

PoPe_G Thread Starter

Courier can be arranged!!! Busy surfing the net now for new lights and skimmers! gonna need a skimmer to go inside the sump, proving to be a bit of a challange!

And just got to figure out how I'm gonna install a couple T5's

Recent Posts