Need some help

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Michael11, 4 Jun 2013.

1. Michael11

Michael11

So i am from the TASA side and was wondering about converting one of my tanks to marine. I have no clue about what the tank consists of but i am not a complete dumass when it comes to keeping fish haha. I am running a 1000l kenelworth built aquarium aswell as a 500l which i am changing for a 640l soon. I am a student currently and would like to know what all id need to convert to a marine tank when it comes to hardware and what price im looking at used hardware aswell as what water conditions are required when it comes to cooling or heating the water.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. the fish

the fish

hi and welcome to MASA. which one of the 2 systems are you planning on converting? will be easier for us to help you on what protein skimmer to get. lighting requirements. all those things. the difference between going from bathwater to saltwater when it comes to a top-up we use RO water and not normal tap water. your heater is same as for freshwater. a chiller can be used to help control the temp for when the water gets to hot. some of the parts like your skimmer and lights can be a bit expensive. depending on what you are looking on going for ie. LED's, T5, MH or even a combination of T5 and MH or T5 and LED. some flow pumps can also be really expensive. normally the sponsors will post about new equipment that is coming in or what is already here and in stock. also can check the for sale section of the forum to see what goods you can buy from there. good luck with the new hobby. hope you have a gr8 time here with us:peroni:

4. Michael11

Michael11 Thread Starter

i would love the 1000 to be converted as then it would be the only tank i run however i do need to drill it for a sump, i know marine is a lot of work so i would want to get rid of the other tank. Thanks for clearing up the water temp issue, what's the mazimum your water is allowed to be with out needing to use a chiller, and when it comes to the sump what hardware is needed apart from a skimmer and return pump ?. i know I'd need to get wave makers in the actual tank. And i have 4 canisters at home i could maybe put to use. Another question is, what do you guys do for water changes and how often ?

Thanks so much
    Regards Michael

5. the fish

the fish

for the sump you can look at reactors like carbon or NP pellet reactors. in my honest opinion i don't like using these things as it is to much mechanical filtration. the skimmer for that size tank you can look at getting a Reef octopus. remember that the water held in your sump is also calculated so if your DT is 1000ltrs and your sump is say 500ltrs that is a maximum water of 1500ltrs. so a big skimmer rated at about 2000ltrs will be needed for this at least. always better to have a skimmer that is rated higher than your total water volume. for water changes most people have their own RO units and mix their own salt to do it with. some don't do water changes at all. some do 10% per week others do 20% over every second month. its all about personal perspective. for that size system your parameters will be more stable and water changes will not really be a big issue. top-ups with RO water will be essential though as the water level can drop quickly in the return pump chamber of the sump.

6. Michael11

Michael11 Thread Starter

Sounds very interesting I'll follow the forum for a few weeks, maybe on the way some good deals with hardware will come available and i can start building my equipment up. When prepairing the R0 water, does this water container have anything special in. For instance must it be mixed with aquarium salt and heated and matured before you top up the tank, or could it be mixed and five minutes later put into the synstem?

7. the fish

the fish

it can go both ways. you don't really need to heat it up after mixing. but if storing it make sure to add a flow pump at least inside the drum to keep it circulated. and also store it in a dark place. and it has to bee aquarium salt. can add the water as soon as all the salt has been mixed in properly. otherwize you will have a white cloud in the tank for a bit. here's a link to the for sale threads for marine setups and other things
    General Marine Sales - Marine Aquariums South Africa

8. Michael11

Michael11 Thread Starter

i dono if I'd be able to get rid of my big fish tho, they have become like wet pets to me, but maybe one of the members have like a 1-1.2m cube complete i could purchase. i love the look of a cube marine tabk.

9. mitchel

mitchel

Hi Michael11 welcome to masa there is so much to learn in this hobby so do as much research as you can.ive been keeping marines for about 7 years and im still learning.

Getting good equipment like a good skimmer,return pump, circulation pumps and lights are a must. take it from me when I started a took short cuts with crap equipment that didn't last and I lost a lot for fish.so enjoy the hobby and ask as many questions as you can, there is lots of good help on masa.

10. the fish

the fish

@Michael11 i can understand how sad it could be if you have to sell something that you have had for so long. it broke my heart when i sold all my freshwater fish to go marine. but even now i dont look back. everyday is a new learning curb.

Recent Posts