Need some help with my sump.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Sidney, 10 Mar 2013.

1. Sidney

Sidney

I need some help with my sump.

Sump size is 1.4m x 530mm x 400mm(height)
    (DSP Tank volume is 1000L)

I need to replace the front glass as it has a crack in it where the hole for the skimmer was drilled. The sump have 4 compartments.
    Because I have to change the front glass I wand to do it ones so if there are any changes that I could make I wand to do it now. My main concern is the center compartment where the DSB is as the 2 glass dividers is only 130mm high and the sand is laying at 100mm (size of DSB is 100mm H x 530mm W x 720mm L ).
    As I have read on MASA the minimum dept of the DSB must be at least 250mm.

DSCN1484.jpg
    DSCN1483.jpg

DSCN1484.jpg

DSCN1483.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. pkc

pkc

A deep sand bed is a place if nitrate conversion, more then anything else, with a little nutrient control, this is achieved from around 15 mill below the surface of the media you choose to use, which I hope will be calcium-lime based.
    It is recommended that it should be the depth you are indicating, but that’s not necessary. If your granule size in diameter is large then the deeper you can make the bed, if the granules are small then the bed should be shallower. Mine are of granule sizes from 4 to 8 mill of coral rubble and shell grit of 100 mill in depth with an egg crate floor with a 30 mill gap under it and I have no nitrate in any way that shows on a parameter test and my system is very loaded.
    It’s up to you, but any form of quite extensively porus media will suffice and the more the better, nitrate separation is a very slow process and the area of this should be very broad in area, not so much depth.
    Mine is multi levelled, each tray is 2 foot by 2 foot and there are three of them on top of each other with flow over each as the water rises and each holds 100 mill of granules. So all up, sat along side each other when I built it, I have six feet of bed area in a two foot space.
    I hope yours works well for you.
    With nitrate,phosporus and orthophosphates in your waters to any degree, the success you could have had,will be far lower then you could have enjoyed.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2013
  4. Sidney

Sidney Thread Starter

Hi @pkc

The media that is used in the DSB is Carib Sea Aragonite sugar fine.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The sand itself should be 150mm, depending on the granules used. With playsand 150mm is more than enough. Coarser material needs slightly deeper.

The space above the sand, can be anything from 50mm to whatever you can have. I like it to be as deep as possible. Even if it is too deep for the skimmer, I would rather lift the skimmer and have more space available above the sand. That allows me to use that space for a refugium. Or temporary holding area for an bully or bullied fish.

Having an external skimmer, your skimmer chamber really do not need to be that big. Top photo the second area from the right. The first part on the right, that is where your downpipe comes in with the hole at the bottom to feed the skimmer chamber. That is also wasted space, my opinion. Either use it as RO chamber or even better increase your DSB. RO chamber can be another square tank that sits in line with the skimmer next to return chamber.

6. Sidney

Sidney Thread Starter

Hi Riaan
    @RiaanPP I was also thinking of increasing my DSB but the problem is that I cant move the skimmer more to the side because the skimmer is already against the side of the stand. The RO tank is going to be in a seperate place to make more room under the stand. The media that is used in the DSB is Carib Sea Aragonite sugar fine. I'm sitting with about 100kg of it.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Can you turn skimmer 90 degrees and use plumbing with elbows. That way the intakes and outlets for the skimmer can move more to the right, as in the first picture.

8. pkc

pkc

Aragonite is fine mate,its calcium carbonate,anything calcium based will help with PH and KH especialy.

Sidney likes this.
  9. Sidney

Sidney Thread Starter

Yes That sounds like a plan. Will put the skimmer in its place and take some size.
    If I lift the dividers of the DSP to 300mm and leafe the sand at about 250mm do you think the skimmer water level will be too high.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

you can lower the DSB level to 150mm. Have more open water above the sand.

What is the running water height normally in the skimmer.

11. Sidney

Sidney Thread Starter

Did some meassurements with the skimmer in place and there is no way to turn it.
    The skimmer must move back to the side by 200mm to get the plumbing and the pump in and it is already on the side of the stand.

12. Sidney

Sidney Thread Starter

I do not now because the system was shut down when I bought it.
    The water level in the skimmer as I meassured it seems that it is running at 130mm in the skimmer barrel.

13. Sidney

Sidney Thread Starter

@Ridwaan can you maybe help a bit with this as I have read that you also running a insump bubble blaster 5000 that Idol Marine plumbed externally. I will just like to now what is your water level in your sump and skimmer And on the DSB.:)

14. Sidney

Sidney Thread Starter

WOW Guys. 163 Views and nobody can give any suggestions.
    Only 2 guys. Thanks @Ridwaan.

Recent Posts