Need some help with canopy

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by slaine, 7 Sep 2008.

1. slaine

slaine

have built a canopy for my tank it looks very awkward though would like to halve the height. have got a 250w mh and am trying to bend my own reflector out of ss.
    Plan to run pc fans thru the middle of the sides of the canopy . Have also got a chiller thats rated a little higher than my tank vol.
    Sooo .... whats the min hight i can have the have the canopy top above the water?
    [​IMG]
    the reflector i am trying to copy
    [​IMG]
    whole top and fron open
    [​IMG]
    pls help. would like to cut it lower asap so that i can start sanding and painting

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I know the general rule about 150w MH's is to have them about 20cm above the water surface, but I'm not sure if that applies to 250w as well.

4. slaine

slaine Thread Starter

Thanks will wait an hour or two if no one says diff will give it a chop

5. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

If you can make them with adjustable height.

6. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

mmhhh.Exact same reflector that im using. Spider reflector br Coralvue.
    Try and keep the halide +- 20cm above the water level.Judge you hood height from there :)

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Slaine - Sorry I am only replying now. You canopy height has absolutely nothing to do with the actual keeping of fish / reefs. So, I would say whatever is aesthetically pleasing to you. Whatever looks "right and good" to you......The height of the metal halide also depends on you. The fish and corals will adapt. As long as the lighting is not TOO far from the water level, that the corals do not receive enough light. My 2 x 150 watt metal halide unit is currently +-35/40cm from my water's level...... Perhaps it would NOT be too good an idea to get the 250 watt TOO close to the water level, as there is sometimes water droplets that bursts and then could possibly touch the globes, making the glass outer of the globes burst..... not a good thing.....With spider reflectors, your MH will be concentrated quite well in any case.... so you should not require the MH to be so close to the water level.............

8. sunburst

sunburst

I would take the following into consideration:
    1)PC fans mounted on the sides will resonate ie your living room will sound like a tuning fork....Will they both be blowing? If so you will need venting...IMO both fans should be angled at the water and both blowing in the same direction. Not sucking.
    2)Even with an overated chiller, heat build up in an enclosed hood will be considerable. Rather leave the top open.
    3) Heat is the main reason for the 20cm min preference. The other would be light dispersion. The higher the more dispersed and cooler
    4)Durban gets hot. Rather rely on evaporation for cooling. Chillers themselves, unless ducted outside can generate a lot of heat (home humidity :(), and use a lot of juice.

What will you be using to finish the inside of the hood?

9. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

perhaps cut a 45 degree slant (front to back) about .200 from the bottom of the lid, this will make tha canopy look a little less bulky.

another thing i do is sink a platform about 110mm from the top to place balasts and put a plug point. this way all your pumps etc can be plugged in there and there will only be one lead running down to the mains..

hope i am making sence..

10. slaine

slaine Thread Starter

thanks for the comments. cut the hood a little shorter yesterday Stained and polished the hood. was thinking of painting the inside with white enamel.Would that work?
    [​IMG]
    was going to place a fan on both sides one sucking and one blowing . I do have quite a few pc fans prob about 12 or so .what would be the best way to have the fans blowing? from the top down with vents at the back or on the sides blowing thru or ??? . i really do not want to have to change the hood i hate doing woodwork .
    As for the light and pump cables have run an extra pipe into the overflow to take care of it , would this work? Is there a certain length of cable from the ballast to the mh ? was thinking of putting the ballast under the tank .
    the tank is going in the corner of the lounge there is a window behind and on the right hand side.for now the tank will only have 2 veiwing panes will put a sheet of abs or the right hand pane. this will not be the final resting place am building on and the tank will prob be moved within the next 6 months . Am just really keen to get it up and running.

11. OCELLARIS

OCELLARIS

hi slaine

where did you get your wood stain from and if you dont mind telling me , how much did it set u back? also what polish is this that you made mention of?

12. OCELLARIS

OCELLARIS

use white velveglo , its lead free and with the white-ness it reflects the full colour spectrum

13. slaine

slaine Thread Starter

used nova 18 .Ebony then just normal floor polish and shined it up with a polish brush. gives it a nice smooth finish.
    Read somewhere that if the reflector is not designed correctly that the hood painted white would reflect more than a hood lined with a highly reflective metal. Is this true?
    If i had to do away with a reflector for now would the heat of the 250w mh not burn the hood ? If so how would i prevent this?

14. OCELLARIS

OCELLARIS

thanx slaine

15. sunburst

sunburst

Must remember that. Sounds like a solid idea.
    No...But close. White is good, but not as good as polished stainless and aluminum. If you plan on using Mirror don't. Surprisingly poor.
    Thats why i asked what you were using on the inside. The heat generated by a 250w MH is significant. No paint will withstand this type of abuse. I have found that most paints do not have a suitable resistance to UV. The combination of heat UV and humidity will dramatically shorten most if not all paint 's life spans. Lesley Hempel seems to be very knowledgable in this regard. A product that is very popular among mariners (the ocean faring type) is Glatex 8. This is an epoxy that you can get in a brilliant white. Ideal.

I still believe that you should attempt to make a reflector. Aluminium sheeting is not that expensive. Easy to bend and polish. Not to mention a shield to your woodwork.

Look forward to seeing the final product.:)

16. sunburst

sunburst

Just reread your reflector comments. A well designed reflector makes a huge difference

17. slaine

slaine Thread Starter

Been a while since my last post. Filled the tank with water on sat .
    On Sunday i emptied it, was not happy with the silicone looked a bit untidy.
    Sunday i cut all the silicone out and started again....looks 100% better.
    Filled the tank on Tuesday morning again. have done a little aquascaping with some live rock i had in a fowlr tank. The rock is local , used to collect while spearfishing .
    So its been two days since i put the water in and i know i have to wait for the cycle( never did it on my other tank ) i have the skimmer running with a 15w t8 in the canopy....am still trying to sort out a reflector for the 250w mh .
    First question- should i be running the lights or is it fine just to have the t8 running for now?
    how long do you think the cycle would take considering i have used the rock from another tank?
    Have never used test kits before .Have purchased sera test kits are these any good?
    tested everything this morn so here are the current par
    no3 - 0
    kh - 6dkh
    po4 1.0 mg
    ca 400mg
    ph 8.25
    salinity 25
    not sure if any of this is good or bad
    Any suggestions would be very welcome

18. OCELLARIS

OCELLARIS

did you have a marine fowlr setup prior to this?

19. slaine

slaine Thread Starter

yes had one for about 8 months. Did not have any losses for the first 6 months then tank was neglected and had alot of power cuts a hermit managed to lodge itself on the auto topup float switch which flooded the tank then had a algae bloom and sort of lost interest. in the last 2 months was topping up with tap water so prob why i had the algae. had a regal tang which i had from day 1 he died about a month ago along with a fire goby . Have tried to start off properly with the right equip this time.
    Hopefully with the right help can have a tank i can enjoy

20. OCELLARIS

OCELLARIS

then i guess you came to the right place, sorry for your loss man :(

21. slaine

slaine Thread Starter

Thanks ,no problem
    This is my old tank after prob a week old. Used alot of sand stone...after reading thru the forum have done away with it alltogether . Was a corner tank prob about 600 l . have since given it away and gone for the smaller cube that hopefully i can maintain better
    [​IMG]

Recent Posts