Need some help to Identify

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by a-jap, 8 Feb 2013.

1. a-jap

a-jap

Hi:(

I recently bought a yellow tang from LFS and he told me that the fish is fine taking out of a bucket of blue purple liquid. Said that he quarantine the fish to avoid any spread of fungus after some tail nipping.

But said it was merely a precautionary measure. Which makes sense and good to hear that he takes such good precautions.

Because the fish was in this liquid he looked pale which seemed okay to me. I then found that this fish had a black dot on his head just at the tip of the dorsal fin, which I thought could be because of the treatment or some food stuck to his head.

Being the only fish in the tank I couldn't see much but he started to come out as soon as I introduced more fish to the tank.

I saw that the black spot is gone and that his colour started to show. I then noticed that the skin where the black spot was, was gone and that there were some slight white flesh showing at the same place and it has a patch of white just in the center of its body only one side. The white, I can see is definitely not white spot.

So I would like to know your opinion on what this could be and a possible solution.

I just added a regal, clowns and 2 other fish. all other fish looks perfect. not a spot on them purchased from the same store. Tang and all fish are eating very well.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Will it be possible to take a picture?:)

4. a-jap

a-jap Thread Starter

Cant right now lights are off. will tomorrow morning.

Thanks

5. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

I wouldn't worry about it unless it spreads. Probably a minor secondary bacterial infection which should sort itself out. The blue liquid the LFS used was probably methylene blue, which has numerous beneficial effects on fish.

6. Falcon

Falcon

Sounds like the methylene blue dip removed whatever black fungus was on the fish and the white you saw was just an open wound,just feed the fish properly maybe add some vitamins to its food and keep your water clean,yellow tangs are hardy and should recover.Only take further steps if like lord says it spreads further.

Pics would definitely help a lot.

7. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I just read up on this...Is this something that you would encourage others to do...? I know, from reading on MASA and other Sites, that not many people "quarantine" ...so should they at least do this...? Actually..why is it the 1st time I've heard this...? Is it "outdated"..?
    http://www.reefland.com/forum/marin...tment/18887-freshwater-dip-marine-fishes.html

Last edited: 9 Feb 2013
  8. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Methylene blue is always good for stressed fish. It's particularly good for new imports and fish that could be oxygen starved from disease on the gills etc. It won't kill many diseases, but it helps the fish recover from them. You still need to quarantine and treat with other medications to get rid of parasites.

9. mytank

mytank

What dosage would you recommend ?

10. a-jap

a-jap Thread Starter

Hi

Just got a quarantine tank and fish is now separated from the healthy ones. Will post fish pic of fish tomorrow. Do you guys know of any medication I could use? Is there something that I could use that will be able to cure most illnesses?

I can definitely see that its not going away. Fed him alot but looks like its getting worse.

11. a-jap

a-jap Thread Starter

:) Okay so after quarantine I bought a bottle of Bio-elite heal all, seems to be working looks like the flesh on his head has started to heal, fish is swimming better and eating more. Going to keep him in the tank till the weekend and move him back to the main display.

Any body know anything about this product?

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Love to help but i will wait for that promised PIC before i might give the incorrect advice.

13. a-jap

a-jap Thread Starter

Too late now. Fish died today. Strange thing is that yesterday it looked as if it was coming right.
    I can say that I was too hasty to buy the fish, and should have rather waited to see the fish swimming around. Will definitely not make that mistake again. Fingers crossed.

Rest of the fish are perfectly healthy.

Thanks Guys

Recent Posts