Need some help on my 220L DT lighting setup please ..

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by HaroldF, 18 Jul 2013.

1. HaroldF

HaroldF

Man oh man all the info about all the different lighting setups makes my head spin ... :goofy:

Facts:
    My DT dimentions is 120cm long x 44cm high x 44cm deep (around 220L)

I'm going to start off with maybe 3 fish, and two soft corals (after the cycle proccess is complete of course) ... then maybe add one fish or one coral every month.
    So my aquarium might only be fully populated end next year ..

I would like to go for a LED lighting setup, but I can't spend more than maybe R2000 at this point in time ... maybe push it to R2500

Should I maybe start with a T5 system (Quad 54W) ..I see they go for around R1800 ?

Or can I maybe go for something like the Illumilux Marino Blanco 300 (around R1690) and as my tank gets populated more, maybe add modules to it in six months time? Or start off with the Blanco 600 for around R2590 ?

Or maybe opt for something like the BeamsWork LED 3300 ? Around R2700

Man I don't know what to do ... :(

Another thing to take notice of, is that I have a closed lid unit (so MH lamps are not an option)
    [​IMG]

I guess the cheapest option for now, would be to maybe buy the T5 ballast and end-cap parts seperately and install them in the top DIY style ?

Any suggestions?

Thanx!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fred d

Fred d

if you feel you can do a good diy t5 install on the hood then that's the way to go ... I would do 5 54watt t5 lamps if it was mine to do ... 2 x white , 2 x blue and 1 x pink ...

Looking at the hood it seems to be nicely sealed so I would attach the waterproof endcaps into the hood if the construction allows . also ... I personally would put small fans on each of the short sides of the hood to extract some of the moisture ... one sucking and one blowing ... will also help cooling the tank in summer . the fans are available from ManTech and are relatively inexpensive ...

4. Fred d

Fred d

oh one more thing ... you could mount the ballasts on top of the hood with the plugs and timers ect.

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

With the Illumilux you will need a 900mm unit for a 1200mm tank. With the 600 you will have too much fall off on the ends.

7. Francois

Francois

I'll go straight for leds and skip the T5. My first tank was exactly like yours, and the T5 will build up a lot of heat under that hood and decrease the bulp life expediency. On T5 units you must replace bulps at least every 12-18 months which will cost you in the long run.

Get leds....
    Much cheaper in the long run.
    Much cheaper in the use on electricity.
    Doesn't generate heat so no need for a chiller like in summer days.
    Easy to dimm.

8. Fred d

Fred d

I agree with @Francois ...
    If your budget allows then skip my advise as above and go for leds ... if not then do the T5s for a year or so to scrape the cash togeather and even buy some time to perhaps diy a killer led unit

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts