Need Some Help:032:

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Allen, 1 May 2009.

1. Allen

Allen

:wave2: Hi,

I bought a Octopus Ts1 Protein Skimmer today, my old weipro packed up and by recommendation :022: went for the ts1.

The instructions how to assemble it were very poor but figured it out, I hope!:whistling:

Know the reason on me asking for help is that I would like to know how this thing works!!!!!???

There is two cups by the looks of it, WHY? Which cup does what? My old weipro only had one cup so I'm a little confused.:confused1:

The weipro's inlet was also off-centered for a swirling motion were the TS1 is right smack bang in the middle, is this better?

How high must the water level be?

If anybody can maybe explain to me how the ts1 skimmer work step by step and how the water movement must more or less look like in the fuselage right up into the cup or cups I will deeply appreciate it!:thumbup:

Regards
    Allen

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

First of all, wash the skimmer out with some warm water and sunlight liquid. This helps the skimmer kick in faster by removing the oily residue found of the plastic. The water level should be about 3/4 way up the cup that is on the skimmer not the removable cup. I don't know why this is there. You adjust the water level by lifting the outlet tube till you get the water level to where you want it.

Allen likes this.
  4. Allen

Allen Thread Starter

Thanks, I will do so!;)

5. Allen

Allen Thread Starter

What is a good amount of gunk that you must get into your cup a day?

6. Tony

Tony

That depends on how long yout tank has been running, how many fish and corals you have and how much you feed. A heavier bioload equals more skimmate with a decent skimmer, which you have. Technically you should fill about 10-15 percent of your cup with skimmate per day on a moderately stocked tank.

The amount of skimmate also depends whether you have the skimmer set to skim wet or dry. A dry skim will produce less although darker skimmate. I wet skim will produce more skimmate, less concentrated but will remove more dissolved organic compounds/carbons (DOC). The debate over wet versus dry is ongoing. It's up to you

The skimmer also takes about a week to two weeks to really break in and start producing skimmate to it's maximum potential. I've you've rinsed the skimmer out with soap and water then it should take a few days to really get going

7. Allen

Allen Thread Starter

Thanks for all the Info!:)

What is the difference between a Wet Skim & a Dry Skim, if it is what I think it is, a wet skim is when you push the water level a lot higher so that your foam is wet instead of having foam building up in the throat?
    I must say your tip on washing the skimmer first was a great success, my skimmer is going wild already!
    I still can't really figure out what the purpose of the bottom cup might be?

8. scubaninja

scubaninja

Wet is where you make your water level higher and it needs less skum to foam over and your skimmate is more watery, you will always get skum building up in the neck, but the majority would go over into the cup. Skimming wet means you would need to clean the cup more and you pull our more PO4 i believe? (not sure). The purpose of the bottom cup(more the cone than the cup) is to concentrate all the bubbles into one spot so that can funnel up the neck. The cone is placed lower down the body of the skimmer because when you take the cup off you dont want the water to foam everywhere so it just sits in one place at a certain level. You need to clean this cone once in a while. I try to do a monthly clean of everything in my tank, so maybe make a day for it

Recent Posts