Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Coves, 19 Dec 2010.

1. Coves

Coves

Still trying to settle my tank down so I can add more corals.... right now I have a couple of concerns..

1. There is white hair like algae (cloudy looking), in mostly the darker areas... how do I control this if this is a problem... seems to be very slowly going away in the lit up areas

2. My Zoas will not open, it looks like the smaller ones are opening ok, but the larger ones have not been open for a month...

Tank Info
    55g, 2 turbo heads and 1 extra smaller pump to push things around since I was seeing too much algae on the sand, running 8 months, went through a bought of red algae, green hair algae, lost a coral butterfly (to stress), lost one green star polup (don't know why), lost 1 anemolie (never stopped moving from the day I added it to the tank), have 6 fish (blue tang & clowns), have blue leg crabs, snails and a couple pepermint shrimp (did a great job in cleaning up aptasia), 2 T5 lights, temp running at 81, trying to drop it by raising the lights, that helped a bit, but now I am starting to turn off the sump light since I am growing nothing but red algae and bubbles... and I think the tank should be running around 78....

Please comment, I can't wait to make the tank more interesting, love the hobby

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Coves, do you have a pic of the "algae". It could be a lack of lighting problem in the area.

What lighting do you run as strong lighting may cause corals to close while they adapt although the moving anemone usually indicates poor lighting or waterflow? Are you using reverse osmosis water for your salt water mix and top up water, as you seem to be battling with all sorts of algae?

4. Coves

Coves Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I am running 2 x T5 lights, coralife & GLO, the Coralife bulb is brand new (the dual white and blues in both fixture). I use regular tap water with the changes (but am trying to minimize the changes) and do have RO water tied into the auto top off system. I also run a large protein skimmer which seem to be pulling out a good coffee cup every week.

5. xtreme

xtreme

Hi
    Don't use tap water , with tap water you place silicates iron and other additives to your tank that can let to algae bloom or diatoms bloom. do not minimize water changes, 10% each week or 20% every second week, seeing your pic you can get away with 10% every second week due to few corals in there.

Please give more info on your tank

6. xtreme

xtreme

please give the size on the tank LxHxW
    What is your water parameters?

7. Tony

Tony

Hi Coves. Not sure what the white stuff is but try and increase flow to that area whcih may blow it away. I would definately stop using the tap water for your make up water as this is definately causing your algae problems due to the amount of phosphates generally found in the water. Try and increase your lighting as I feel this may be too little for a coral tank creating unhappy corals. Otherwise try and check for ammonia and add some probiotics like Prodibio to help reduce the nutrients causing the algae

8. Coves

Coves Thread Starter

My tank is 18wx36lx19h", I also have a sump/refugium 12wx24hx16h" that is really doing nothing but growing alge (lots of bubbles in the refugium section), suspecting due to the intense light that I have in there.... also, I am trying to turn down the heat from running at 81 - 82, to 78, raised the lighting in the main tank (only helped a little), and now just turned off the sump light which finally dropped the temp to 78 last night. In the refugium, I have some 'Chaetomorpha' in the but it has never taken and just builds up alea and collecting bubbles, so I was thinking to clean our the sump/refugium and run without the light or at the very least a lower power light think I am going to run without the light or get a less intense light (I have a 50w spot beam right now) for the refugium. Should I go out and buy some de-ionized water to do water changes? My LFS said that our water was not too bad and that he was running his store on it....

Marine Aquariums of South Africa

9. xtreme

xtreme

With that width you can add more lightning to the DT. You say you top up with RO, so use RO water for new mix.
    Algae can be due to lightning and high Nitrates and phosphates, test your water parameters to sort the problem out

10. Coves

Coves Thread Starter

Thanks, yes I agree about the lighting, I am looking to add a halogen light since I am very interested in more corals, need to know my tank is stable so I do not spend money on corals that will die.... Spent hours today taking down the sump, cleaning and putting it all back together (used some RO water and had to use some tap, sorry)... Prior to this, I do test my water for the basic items and did take a recent sample to Big Als, they checked out good, but mentioned that I need the full test kit to check other things... I would rather pay to have someone test it and give advice rather than me testing and guessing, so I do not know my other water parameters at this point but my Nitrates are in check. I think the white hairy looking algae is coming under control slowly, its getting better rather than worse,,, I am more concerned with why my larger zoas are not opening up like they used to.... at this point, I am sure there is enough light for them....

11. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

This looks more like some type of fungus, rather than algae. How old are the LR where this growth is taking place? If fairly recent, then I would suspect that there is still some decaying matter inside the rock (in other words, it has not fully cured yet...). Just be patient, it should eventually go away.

Why did you do that? It is normally not a good idea to disturb anything in your system, and "cleaning" your sump would certainly have disturbed your system (and killed many small critters and filtration bacteria...)

It could be light, but it could also be due to too strong (directed) water flow, or (more likely) predation - check (also after dark) to see if any fish, crab, or other animal might be "pecking" at them. Also, have you tried feeding them?

Hennie

12. Coves

Coves Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.... I cleaned the sump/refugium due to the extra algae growth that was created as a result of the strong light I had pointed at the refugium night and day,,, but you are right about the small creatures, was seeing small shrimp light critters in there and when I found them, I put them back in the tank... they are not in direct water flow either and are near the top of the tank so they are getting their share of a new T5 light.

Yes, the corals are fed with frozen coral foods a couple times a week, all the other zoas and mushrooms are happy. The one suspicious critter are the blue legged crabs, they do travel all over, but I do not see them specifically going after my zoas.

13. rakabos

rakabos

Doesnt matter what they say about your tap water being ok, IT IS NOT OK. You need RO water at all times for either top up or for mixing seawater for water changes...

Why do u run lights in your sump? Do u have macro algae growing in the sump? If not then u dont need lights at all...

14. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Don't just add the frozen food directly to the tank, first thaw it out in cold RO water and strain the water off. Never add the pack juice from frozen foods to the water as it might cause high nitrates and fuel nuisance algae. Some guys do it when they have a very large established setup with lost of filter feeders, but otherwise rather not.

15. Q89

Q89

You can test the water parameters and just post them here. I'm sure the guys will be able to give you advice.

Can you maybe post the water parameters you tested for?

Recent Posts