need id please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
so this is a 3 part question
1) what kind of coral is growing on the crabs back?

2)what kind of crab is this ? it is hairy and about the size of a R5 coin

3)what kind of fish is this ? found him washed up on the beach still alive but it has an injury so don't think it will make it cant seem to find a pic of anything similar on the net it has very big eyes that face forward . some sort of puffer

well here are some pics thanx for the help in advance

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

its a porcupine puffer , ive seen one washed up before , looks strange in those pics thou , like it has 2 tails

it does have 2 separate tails . unfortunately he died last night I suspect the injury was from a dog bite on the beach, as he washed up there were loads of dogs playing around him.
I will post a better pic now.

ya I was diving in east London and saw what I thought to be a cool orange sponge , oddly growing on the sand as I went down to grab it I saw that it was in fact growing on the crabs back.
at first I thought that the crab could be holding the coral as camouflage but now on further investigation the coral is infact attached to the crabs back. it seems to attach and spread in the same manner as a star polyp but has the characteristics of a leather coral. this morning the corals polyps were fully extended and the coral was about 3 times the size of the crab
is the crab reef safe?? will it eat my fish? and will the coral survive in 24c water?
it is a very interesting creature I will post a pic or 2

As said before, coral is an Alcyonium. It needs cooler water and regular feeding so prob won't last in your tank

I think the crab is part of the decorator crabs. That uses corals to hide. They collect corals and put them on their carapaxes.

like I told you before its a porcupine fish riddled in parasites ....and like I said you cant keep any of the stuff in your bucket pic alive

perhaps you are not well or something! this is the first time that you are replying on this thread I have never spoken to you before in my life.
the porcupine fish was found by a guy walking his dogs, it had washed up on the beach the guy was poking it with a stick to try and flick it into a bucket of water he then came over to me and a friend to show us what he had found that is wen I decided to try and release the fish back into the sea, the fish was badly injured (probably by the guy who was poking it) it kept washing out again

that is the only reason I decided to take the fish home was to give it a better chance of survival and to find out a bit more about the fish weather it made it or not in my tank....it would have been dead within 5 min if I had of just ignored the guy who found it.;)

and the nudibranch you took home ? was that also injured ? and do you have a permit for that piece of living coral you removed ? dude im not having a go at you , just please ....do some research on what you take home to put in your tank before you take it , and when some one offers you help and advice try taking a little , we all here to help each other:thumbup: , show some respect for the guys that have been in the hobby for 20 years plus , as far as there being something wrong with me ......well there you are 100 percent right , I am batshit crazy and love sea water more than brandy:m87: and yes I did talk to you , Me and Mark both offered to buy(illegal) or swop(illegal) you something else for it so it could be released , but my attempt failed and you suddenly thought you had something special you could make a buck out of , if I remember your words were " sien Ty, al twee offers , ons het iets special almal soek die ding " ..........:m52:

What just happened here? I'm confused, lol. :confused1:

Last edited:
perhaps you are not well or something!
LOL . as for the crab it is commonly known as a sponge crab, it cuts bits of sponge off the rocks and holds it in place with its last pair of legs ,this then acts as a deterrent to any would be predators as sponge is normally unpalatable to most fish (pretty cool little guy) will post scientific name later when I can get to my books if you want.

@Viper , when people remove living animals from the ocean that they have no idea how to care for and then still have the balls to be cocky about it , I can tell you right now that it will spill over, as far as whatsapp is concerned , weasel left the chat about two minutes after he was told that nothing in his bucket (he failed to post all the pics here) was suitable for his current aquarium never mind the experience needed to care for them , over 60 new reefers this year in time for season in east London alone , plenty of "spill over" still coming , if you cant do your home work you should count on paying a little more school fees , and this goes for those chops who turned over every bloody rock from the silos to westbank tidal pool ,chasing anthais and not having the decency to turn then back , atleast kick the rocks back into the pool when you don't destroying it , cant wait to meet you guys on the rocks , sorry Viper ill go back to my corner now

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you (puffer fish) better get your facts strait before making any more comments!
My name is Wesley you have been communicating with a guy named jaques who was a member on the wats app group. He had a nudibranch in a bucket not me!! You know nothing about me I have 8 years experience in this hobby and I do pay every year for a permit to collect a range of marine life from the rocks as I am a keen fisherman aswell. I have loads of respect for the ocean and don't need to be schooled especially not by you. I built jaques tank about a month ago for him , so yes , he is very in-experienced in the marine keeping hobby. And as you are saying people who have just started out think they can add anything to their system,
Which is why I suggested he join the wats app group and ask as many questions as possible, but due to people with your mentality he left the group, just imagine how many things he is going to end up adding to his tank now that he has nobody to ask . The only thing that I collected that day was a strange crab who by the wat is doing well in my current tank which has been running for 4 years.
You can ask some of the other guys on the wats app group I'm not even Afrikaans!!
Apology accepted in advance for a case of mistaken identity.

For those who actually aided in identifying the crab and fish I thank you!
Mods if any of you are reading this please close this thread down as it is no longer constructive
Cheers:peroni:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom