Need Help!!!

Reaction score
Every time I get a sand goby for my tank, they live for only a month, first three weeks they do great, but then they become very thin and eventually die, this has happened to all sand gobies in my tank, is it possible that its the sand killing my gobies, please can anyone help me out

Every time I get a sand goby for my tank, they live for only a month, first three weeks they do great, but then they become very thin and eventually die, this has happened to all sand gobies in my tank, is it possible that its the sand killing my gobies, please can anyone help me out

Hi,

First of all how old is the tank?

They live off critters in the substrate, if there's nothing to live off they will eventually die of starvation.

Also, before you buy one ask the LFS to feed it. Some eat brine. Its a good supplement to their diet especially if the tank isn't old enough.

Tank is almost a year old, so next time I buy a goby I must ask for brime?

It wont necessarily eat it and considering sand sifting gobies eat all the time I doubt it'll be healthy living on brine alone.

There my be other problems. What is your complete tank setup? What other LS do you have?

I have a sea cucumber, 3 sea urchins, a clown and 2 chromis, boxy shrimp, hermit crabs and shrimp

Do you have a sump? Do you see any pods in the sump or display tank? This is what they live on. When you buy a new one make sure first that it eats brine or mysis.

I am lucky that mine takes most food i put in the tank, but their primary food source is pods in the sand

I asked you if you had a sump or not, thats where they will start to breed. They will also live in your rock work in the DT, but we have no idea what you have so we cant help now can we ?

First of all, what's a pod? I have a side sump with little see through shrimp like things living in it, are these pod?

Eish dude

Read up on a fish before you buy it. But yes those are the pods you see. Show us pics of your sump and setup in general please

I have a sea cucumber, 3 sea urchins, a clown and 2 chromis, boxy shrimp, hermit crabs and shrimp
i agree with what most people are saying, ie that tanks just not suited to them (without a pic its hard to tell accurately) but id also add that the sea cucumber may well be out competing the goby for food as they both sift through the sand bed for nutrient.

how large is the tank, how old is it, and what substrate are you using?

there are lots of othert interesting fish you could research instead of a sand sifting goby, give us some idea on the tank you have and lets see if we cant find something else that survives better for you.

My yellow headed Gobi has been with me for 3 mnths, and a real fatty at that.. I break up and soak a bottom of tank biscuit for him each day, let it settle on the sand. As he goes along shifting he picks them up, but never rushes to get them as they land.

If you have same algae growing in the sump the pots will multiply in the sump and spread to the tank

The nice thing about when you quarantine a fish, is that you can get it eating. When its in the DT the fish is more stressed because of fellow inmates and will be more difficult to get eating

Coral Assistance

Does anyone know what type of coral this is and what do i need to feed it?

Ive done some research and seem to think that its a type of polyp.

i look forward to anyones assistance.

37474edf72469b7d7.jpg

(Picture quality not to good, took photo from petshop with phone, but should be good enough).

:yeahdude:

Back
Top Bottom