need help

Discussion in 'New Members' started by freaxta, 1 Jul 2011.

1. freaxta

freaxta

hi,i jus started a new marine tank,its a 4foot tank,its been running for 10weeks weeks now with bout 37kilos of live rock.The salt level has been consistently been at 1.023 for 6weeks thus far,i want too add a protein skimmer nw,but dont knw wat size to get,or wat brand,there are so many on the market,wat wud be ryt for a tank runnin +/- 250 -280 litres of water,and wat brands of protein skimmers are recommended that are good and silent,and where cud i get them,all advice would be much appreciated.:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seabass

Seabass

Hey, if you have deep pockets, tunze has a fantastic range of skimmers to select from. The general consensus I think that you will find is to select a skimmer with a rating double your tank volume, let's say 600 lt rating.

A suggestion is to get one with a large collection cup.

Tunze is a sponsor so you will find a link under the sponsors section: @ George. (031) 5631289

They ship and are in durban. Also check through the filtration threads, but this might also not be worth it as some will say that this product is best but another reefer will disagree.

Why not check tank of the month threads to see what skimmer they run. If they won totm the skimmer must be doing something well.

Can also try google for articles and ratings and skimmer comparisons.

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

a TS2 will also do nicely

5. cswhitehead

cswhitehead

Ts2 if your pockets aren't that deep, i have one in my tank and its the same size as yours and it works really well.

6. Trident

Trident

i second that! those ts range skimmers are very lekke and well built!

7. zak

zak

Noise was also a concern for me when I started as my tank is in the lounge, iv got a TS3 and a sicce return pump, my tank is just about silent. All equipment is housed inside my cabinet.

Before buying the skimmer, make certain that it will fit where you plan to keep it, with enough space to remove the collection cup. TS3 is a bulky skimmer..

8. freaxta

freaxta Thread Starter

Don't have a cabinet,I'm running it on a 4foot special,with the mirrors,but I have some1 tat will build a cabinet for me,but thanks for the super advice,I am definitly gonna look into the tunze,ts2 and ts3,much appreciated,thanks.

9. Tremayn

Tremayn

PM reefhead. He is selling a reefocto NW110 for a mad price! They are awesome skimmers and really out class the TS series. You rather get that. They are basically bubble blaster skimmers but with the OTP pump but they come with pin wheel impellars. I have the nw250 and it does an awesome job. Not sure whats the rating for the Nw110 but sure it will be more than enough. Just ask reefhead about it

Recent Posts