Need help with sump

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by brandonb, 31 Mar 2011.

1. brandonb

brandonb

Hi

As far as I can see I ll need to add another sump to my existing one to add a bubbleblaster 3000int to my system ...

this is what my current sump looks like
    [​IMG]

The cabinet is separated and the divider cant be taken out, I have seen someone one forum (cant find their thread) attached another sump in the other part of the cabinet to this one with 2 PVC pipes

quickly this is what I have in mind

[​IMG]

the extra sump will be only one compartment (50x37x40)

I will put the skimmer, heater and laaaater on a NP pellet reactor in there... then in the old sump the first compartment I was thinking macro algae and/or chaeto...

the problem I have with this is how much will it cost and how safe is it ? Also how long will my current sump have to be empty to be sealed (when drilled for pvc)

Thanks alot (sorry for the long post)
    Brandon

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi there bud ... great idea .... and you dont have to worry about sealing time ... Get yourself a 52/53mm hole drilled and use what they call a bulkhead ... basically its what they use as the actual "drain" in kitchen sinks and wash basins .... They come with rubber seals so connect them then use a 50mm drain pipe inbetween the sumps .... Viola! No need to wait for silicone curing time .......

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That current sump, remove all the glass panes. Put the left hand one in the place of the right hand one. So that will lift the water level above the DSB a bit. If you do not want to silicone, then just leave the right most panel. DSB in left chamber, return where it is currently.

New sump on the left. Needs only one divider. First compartment, big enough to get skimmer in and out. That is it. Then second chamber is the first DSB. So both sumps is your DSB..

Then the connection between sumps. Use 50mm PVC. Offset the holes. Do not drill them directly across each other. You anyway never going to be able to align those holes perfectly. Use bulkhead, 90degree bend, short 50mm pvc, 90degree bend, and bulkhead. Like a "S" shape. Then you can adjust height differences and spacing easily.
    Back corner one sump to front corner the other sump

A 50mm pipe can handle up to 6000L/h under gravity. So unless your return pump is some mother of a pump you should not have issues.

You do have the option to replace one DSB with a refugium space. Or if sump water level is deep enough, have the cheato above the DSB.

5. brandonb

brandonb Thread Starter

I wanted to put in a DSB but decided that it would be messed up if its between 2 sump and if if its just in the one sump then its a square and then it wont work ....

Also if I do decide to put in the NP pellet reactor there wont be space and then the DSB would not work anyway ...

Brandon

6. brandonb

brandonb Thread Starter

thanks chicka thatll speed things up a bit

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

any reason why a square DSB will not work?

8. brandonb

brandonb Thread Starter

i have read that it has to be longer than its width ...:p

9. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Joh but we complicate this whole sump thing hey ! no jibe at you BrandonB

I am with Riaan on this one have a good skimmer and a massive dsb / fuge even if it is 2 seperate tanks and then a return chamber and you are a for away !

10. brandonb

brandonb Thread Starter

I am all for DSBs but the problem is that first I wont have space for an NP pellet reactor and second i would have wasted my money on the substrate because it wont work once the NP pellet is in ...

secondly I want to have filtersponges in the tank as I do now...

Third ... I want to keep it as simple as possible

Recent Posts