Need help with sump

Reaction score
Hi i am running a sump with 4 compartments 1st compartment filled with hair curlers 2nd house my skimmers pump 3rd outlet for skimmer and chicken bone size arragonate and the last is the return to main tank

Is this setup good or not.

The tank is a 1.2m with some corals and a few fish planning in filling it with sps later on.

i want to ged my sump write before then.

Need help Please

I'd take out the hair curlers.... How big is chicken bone size , and is this your DSB?

plus minus pinky size. i wont call it dsb its only about a kilo

I want to remove the curlers but they are full of tube sponges and some tiny tube worms.

i would do it this way,first compartment -inlet from tank,second compartment- skimmer, third compartment-DSB and fourth compartment- return. you got a pic of this sump?

Thanks Mekaeel

Sorry no pic i have just changed the sump with a 3ft, 3 compartments 1st inlet from tank and skimmer 2nd DSB 50mm deep and 3rd compartment return to tank will post pic later

i also aded a light to my sump ,must it be turn on 24x7 or only at night?

This sounds much better, run the light in the sump reverse cycle to your tank and see if you can get hold of cheato to put on top of DSB. What substrate did you use for your DSB?

Try and get the DSB a bit deaper though, at least 10-15cm

Try and get the DSB a bit deaper though, at least 10-15cm
what's the deepest you should go with a DSB (or is the deeper the better)?

as deep as you can. over time the aragonite desolves so the depth off the dsb will go down.

I think that I have read on Advanced Aquarist that the DSB should not be deeper than +-18cm... not sure how true this is.... Otherwise I believe that the whole process of aerobic bacteria converting the ammonia/nitrites to nitrates, and then the deeper you go into the DSB, where the oxygen has been used up, the anaerobic bacteria is supposed to convert the nitrates to nitrogen and ogyxen.

I believe that this requires some water flow (not a lot though - I presume very slow water movement) through the DSB media (top to bottom, and then bottom to top again) that the water that comes out at the top again, is nitrate free.... I can only presume that if the DSB is TOO deep, that the water flow does not work as it should anymore....

what do i put on top of fine mess so that the sand does not go thru in dbs

Back
Top Bottom