Need help with adding multiple tangs

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by King_Triton, 19 Nov 2014.

1. King_Triton

King_Triton

Hi Guys,

Firstly I know I should not have added these tangs in this order or way, but my friend that just starting supplying gave me a Sailfin and Yellow tang at literally nothing!!

I currently have them dripping. Now my problem lies here..

I purchased a powder blue tang, ( Is my Powder Blue being agressive or playful? - Marine Aquariums South Africa ) last week Tuesday. He has really settled nicely and i think he is looking for a "territorial cave" over the past three days or so.

How do I go about adding the two new tangs? They are both about half the size of the powder blue as well. My QT has a cracked base so I cannot keep these fish out longer than today.

I was thinking of getting the powder blue to my DSB area, which is about a meter in length and is both wide and deep. Then changing the rock scape and adding the two new tangs. Would this be a good option and if I go this route should I add the powder blue back into the tank tonight?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. King_Triton

King_Triton Thread Starter

Sorry Mods. Not sure how this thread got created twice.Please delete the second one :whistling:

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

second one is deleted.

Anyway, as the new ones are a lot smaller than the powder blue, hopefully they will be left alone. The smaller new fish should back off.

Best is also to add them late tonight, then switch off the tank lights and room lights. just have a passage light giving a bit of light on the tank for another couple of minutes so that they can go and sleep. Check tomorrow before going to work if all s OK. Maybe switch lights on earlier before you leave so you can monitor them.

I added a much smaller yellow tang and a medium regal into a tank with other bigger tangs. Yellow was the smallest of them all. All OK for him. But after a week, the original BIG regal took offense of the new medium size and attacked him like crazy. Was OK for a week, only then he stripped himself for the newbie.

5. King_Triton

Thanks for the info Riaan.

So should I just leave the PBT in the tank and add these two? Or should I rather remove him and then add the two new tangs and add the PBT back?

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Shoo! You have yourself a handful. I personally would take the powder blue out and drip him at the same time as the others. There will be fights. Sorry man there is no easy way about this, I worry about the Powder.

My advice to ALL is to always add your tangs LAST to your tank, and then in a group.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2014
  8. King_Triton

Okay so my update. I added the sailfin and yellow into the tank with the Powder blue in my sump. I re-arranged some of my large lps corals and a few rocks here and there. Waited for 30 mins and put the powder blue back with only my blue t5s on so lighting is dim. So far nothing at all. The powder blue seemed unsettled for the first 5 mins. But now they all swimming around each other with no issues, although the sailfin and yellow seem to hang together. They are already grazing. Will keep watching. So far looking good.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2014
Recent Posts