Need help to relocate tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Phyrannus, 9 Aug 2010.

1. Phyrannus

Phyrannus

Good day MASA reefers,

Been sometime since i last posted my plan for a new 120g rimless tank here. I need a help from you guys. I’ve a 3yrs old 75gals existing setup with 50gals sump underneath. We are planning to renovate the house and the tank should be relocated somewhere also in the living room. Initial preparations have been setup. I acquired new 120gal rimless tank and constructed the fix cabinet stand, buckets are all ready, towels, and another 100gals of NSW. All is setup for relocation except with my senses.:( I really don’t know where to start and what to move first. The sump has matured 8”x12”x16 DSB to consider, I’m not pretty much sure if i can move this sump without breaking the glass because the sand is too heavy.
    I hope you guys can guide me step by step so i could relocate everything smoothly and safely.
    Thank you in advance.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

First of all how many "hands" do you have to make this "great across the room" trip?

Last edited: 9 Aug 2010
  4. Phyrannus

Phyrannus Thread Starter

i can ask for an extra hands from friends. The sump will be move about 3 meters from it's existing location.

5. chikaboo

chikaboo

Ok and is the sump the only "problem child" to move? Is this because you dont want to disturb the DSB? The rest of the tank and it's livestock is no problem..... or is it?

6. Phyrannus

Phyrannus Thread Starter

Yeah right chika...and also the DT has 3" sand.. is there any other way? and should i do this transfer at one time? water, fish, coral, equipment etc.

7. chikaboo

chikaboo

Well the idea is to keep as most of the original water as possible ..... Just try when putting the water in the new tank to "cushion" the fall as much as possible so as not to disturb the sand too much ..... also remember to try and keep the temp constant all over ... Your NSW - have checked its temp and salinity? If this is the same then I would suggest the following .... Put the NSW in the new tank and move the LR over untill the rocks start popping out of the water ... Then pump water out of the old tank about the equal amount of whats in the newtank so that old water and new water is about balance .... then top up the rocks a little more ..... The idea is to get as much of the rock out without "not" leaving hiding places for the livestock ..... Once that is done try and get most of the sand out and allow a few minutes to settle untill you can see whats going on in the tank .... Then pump as much water as possible out to top the new tank up thus in turn will lower the old tank level making it easier to catch the livestock ..... You can now remove most of the rock work and catch your babies .... I would suggest they go straight to the tank as this would least stress them out..... All this needs to be done after the sump is moved ........ For that I would think your best bet would to try and get the sump on some kind of hard board or even a mat that you can slide across the room .... You remove the water and with assistance start lifting the sump at angle while at the same time putting a support like the board under it ... then just slide the board slowly over to the new tank ready to be part of the "cycle" .... once the fish have been moved ... top off the tank enough to overflow and "bob" should be your uncle......

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

When I moved a sump, I placed a plank on a scateboard. Lifted the sump and slide scateboard with plank underneath. And rolled the sump away. A lot easier than trying to carry it.

What is 8”x12”x16" in metric?
    Its like 20cm*30cm*40cm. Should be able to move it.

9. Phyrannus

Phyrannus Thread Starter

The new NSW were stocked in 2-50gals black container for two days now. if within the week i didn't started the relocation, i'm gonna use it first for PWC and get another set of new NSW.
    all my worry is to totally crash the tank upon relocation and end up recycling again.

10. Phyrannus

Phyrannus Thread Starter

Yeah RIAAP. the sump is 90cm x 40cm x 46cm with 30cm x 40cm x 46cm compartment for DSB at the right end of the tank.

Recent Posts