need help please?

Reaction score
Ok guys i have decided that i am really not happy with implementing a RDSB in the manner that i want it as its gona be more of a hinderance then a blessing in the way that the tank is currently setup.

I am going to be building another sump(so much for saving $$$:63:) what i need to know is:

what would be an ideal height for the TS2 as in water level?
what would be an ideal height for the dsb in regards to substrate level?
Can i please get some examples of Sumps that i would be able to use(point me in the right direction as the search function did not really help me)
what is the minimum size piping that i can use for the durso and are there reducers avail for it as the current build of the overflow makes the durso sit at an angle as the overflow was not built with a durso in mind so the durso sits at an angle and there is water flowing over the top of it?
Is there anyway to completely eliminate the micro bubbles that enter the sump from the overflow, how do i do it i have extended the pipe with the help of 2 90 degree bends and it has helped a bit but they still there althou not as bad?
Would it be ok to keep the water and live rock in the tank with the heater on for a few weeks or until i get all the issues above resolved or should i cover it,the water is not turning over as i have disconnected the return. etc?

Thanks

Last edited:

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Here are some answers Ziyaad:
1) TS2 skimmer water height: external water level - above water inlet pipe (+- 40-45cm) - internal water level - just below the black ring of the skimmer cup...
2) DSB substrate level: 120mm to 150mm....
3) Sorry - perhaps someone can help... basically: 1st compartment - skimmer; 2nd compartment - dsb; 3rd compartment - reactors/reactor pumps & return pump
4) Durso: minimum 32mm
5) eliminate microbubbles? why? not necessary...
6) water & life rock in tank - that is what you SHOULD DO.......

Reaction score
thanks Jacques
On question 5 i want to eliminate it as its causing salt creep on the sump
what i want to know on question 6 is that the tank is not turning the water over through the sump its just flowing around because i have disconnected the return from the sump have power heads in there

Reaction score
:wave2:

Ok guys i have decided that i am really not happy with implementing a RDSB in the manner that i want it as its gona be more of a hinderance then a blessing in the way that the tank is currently setup.

I am going to be building another sump(so much for saving $$$:63:) what i need to know is:

what would be an ideal height for the TS2 as in water level? Just above the pump inlet to the chamber - its 19cm but mine runs a bit deeper at 24cm with not problems.

what would be an ideal height for the dsb in regards to substrate level? ideally about 15cm deep

Can i please get some examples of Sumps that i would be able to use(point me in the right direction as the search function did not really help me) Read though my Sump design thread, it should help, Tank and Sump Design - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

what is the minimum size piping that i can use for the durso and are there reducers avail for it as the current build of the overflow makes the durso sit at an angle as the overflow was not built with a durso in mind so the durso sits at an angle and there is water flowing over the top of it? I would not use less that 32mm, but depends on the flow required... But don't understand what you are saying about the rest, could you explain.

Is there anyway to completely eliminate the micro bubbles that enter the sump from the overflow, how do i do it i have extended the pipe with the help of 2 90 degree bends and it has helped a bit but they still there althou not as bad? Wouldn'y worry about bubble coming from the overflow as the skimmer makes bubbles anyway, you could put baffle plates after the 1st compartment to reduce any bubble entering the 2nd compartment with the DSB it you wanted, it is recomended.

Would it be ok to keep the water and live rock in the tank with the heater on for a few weeks or until i get all the issues above resolved or should i cover it,the water is not turning over as i have disconnected the return. etc? I would put a power head in the tank just to circulate the water, could even leave the lights running as it would only coraline algae grow? wouln't worry about covering it.

Thanks

Reaction score
Thanks Lighty
what i mean here
what is the minimum size piping that i can use for the durso and are there reducers avail for it as the current build of the overflow makes the durso sit at an angle as the overflow was not built with a durso in mind so the durso sits at an angle and there is water flowing over the top of it
The overflow of the tank was not built with a durso pipe of 50mm in mind as i had to make the durso go in at an angle as the piping is too thick and it does not go straight up its at an angle. i will post a pic soon
Just above the pump inlet to the chamber - its 19cm but mine runs a bit deeper at 24cm with not problems.
Im lost here is this the skimmer inlet where its pulls water into the skimmer?

Reaction score
Thanks Lighty
what i mean here The overflow of the tank was not built with a durso pipe of 50mm in mind as i had to make the durso go in at an angle as the piping is too thick and it does not go straight up its at an angle. i will post a pic soon

Cool, will check

Im lost here is this the skimmer inlet where its pulls water into the skimmer?
39248f39afa2b39f.jpg

A Pic off the WWW, but it seems a bit low, normally just above this point.

Last edited:
Reaction score
ooh thanks man thats the 1st time i see it so low everyone else says to have it just under the reeftek sticker? hers a pic of the durso :

Leaning against the overflow

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
about the liverock in the water with in tank circulation is that fine?
The liverock will be happy as long as it ha heat flow and a bit of light, it can sit in the tub of water (submerged and regularly topped up to keep the SG the same) - it will even do you a favour and cure the rock for you, but draw a line on the tub to ensure you top up with R/O for stability and keep testing to watch for any ammonia spikes.

Reaction score
Ok Yiyaadb, If I understand you correctly, you say that the water raises over the top of the durso, what you need to do is, remove the end cap off the top of the durso (the 1 with all the little holes), get a new one and make a small hole in it, just big enough for a piece of airline to be pushed through, and then place a air valve on the end of the airline, place the cap on the durso and sturt up, then adjust the air valve untill it runs quiet, basically, you getting way too much air into the durso, this will also posibly increase your water flow.

Reaction score
ok gents an update, i have stripped the sump again and will re baffle it. gona get glass cut tomorrow morning

Reaction score
Ok guys before the questions the pics,

The sump before:

Broke this panel by hand was a mistake and i was really lucky to get away with 2 light cuts

Getting there

Waiting to cure

All done

1st bit of substrate for DSB

All in

Skimmer Skimming

Thats all i got?

Reaction score
Looking good, the skimmer may take a couple of days to kick in. Well done, nice neat work.

Reaction score

Now for the questions?
How do i get the skimmer to fill the tube as i am sure that the level of bubbles is too little or would that be skimming dry?

Would it be better if i set the water level to flow over the 1st baffle as then the water level would always be constant in the skimmer area?

The water does not flow quickly over the dsb i think that's because my return pump is rated for 2880Lph would the slow flow over it be ok? (its really slow if i increase the level in the sump to the extent where the top most level of water looks stagnant like in the above picture) or should i add a small power head in the dsb chamber so that the water is being moved around?

I am also getting surging in the sump as in the water flow from the tank is not constant, i get a gush of water i never time it but its almost every 30 seconds you can hear it and see it via the surge of bubbles, the water flowing into the overflow seems fine. I have extended the down pipe with the help of 2 90degree elbos so that the overflow pipe is at the bottom.

Reaction score
Looking good, the skimmer may take a couple of days to kick in. Well done, nice neat work.
thanks Warr would it also take time to kick in although its a second hand skimmer?

Reaction score
thanks Warr would it also take time to kick in although its a second hand skimmer?
genarally yes, may just take quicker, when I clean out my entire skimmer takes at least 4-5 hours before I even get any decent bubbles.

I am concerned that you can't increase your bubble level. Sorry I can't help as I have a external skimmer, which just has a huge tap which controls the level.

Viper is always good with theses questions :)