Need help on new build tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by xtreme, 19 Mar 2010.

1. xtreme

xtreme

Ok guys

One of my friends gave me a tank that he build. Still brand new, but I trust only my silicone work

Tank size 110cmL x 60cmH (water level at 55cm) x50cmW
    6mm glass, had to fit a rim at top to support it, he did it wrong!

Ok this was all last year, then saw the thread of rim less wave tank, that inspired me, ok this is Namibia, not all of the special goods is here like wave makers and if I make a tank with to expensive stuff no body would be interested in marines here in Swakop, this is all new to the public.

Ok now going to try it, if it works then:1: but if it doesn't, well redo it
    got some pics too, planing of making it 3 sides visible and close off the none side (50cm) will call that the back, made 2 overflow boxes that is 10cmx10cm in each corner, will be bottom drain, between them I want to make a plunger with 12V wiper motor on top, (will be sealed)(saw this on you tube) going to use the 2 return pipes as a plunger guide and drilled holes in the glass for wave effect at bottom.
    Now all this was finished last year and now standing in the entrance of my house.

Hope you think it might work :whistling:

Now I want to do it right, want to use this as my coral tank at the shop and must be closed at the top, due to few customers that think all the beautiful marines is fresh water and even a common clown fish, they stick their dirty finger in my tank and taste the water:nono:, that is why I want to fit hood on it and due to the east wind some times.
    How much watt MH will I need for this tank?
    Please advise and if this tank will work I'll will make a big sticker and stick it on the side of the hood that will say ( Proudly forum build by MASA members) if I may, just away to say thanks back
    Ok some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This will be my first occupant, hiding it at home, tried to order anemones sins last year from August and never receive them, so desperate I gave Manie a Blue Hippo Tang for it

[​IMG]

Ok, just to show you guys one of the similar tanks that is fresh water how it will look, there is no hood on this tank when I took the pic, will make it look cool before I will put the sticker on it (mentioned above in the thread) Oh and just a cement background in it, was bored:p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will appreciate all your input and ideas to make this work.
    thanks guys.:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

The carpet nennie is bleached. You need to get stronger lights for him

4. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

Oh ok, that was my sunset light and doesnt have a very good camera, he is pink with almost florecent green tips, very sticky and was about 6cm when I got it, he is now about 20cm when fully opened, thats why I needed to know what lights I will need.
    well off to bed now and no one told me so will go buy 2x 150w MH tomorrow morning.

5. seank

seank

Will answer you in the morning. Also very tired and will do writeup early.Unless someone jumps me to it- Not that I would mind...lol. But yes, 2 x 150w MH can do no harm

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

No No No NO. You can not in 5 minutes decide what lighting your anemone needs and pop out to a lighting store to resolve. Besides the sudden change will most probably kill the anemone.

@xtreme your first post is very confusing to me, and i do not fully understand what you are asking. In one breath you are talking about tank structure and in the next lighting. Spend some time with us tackling one issue at a time. We will help you.:thumbup:

Last edited: 19 Mar 2010
  7. crispin

crispin

xtreme i am also a little confused by that post. as i understand it you want to take a tank out of 6mm glass and reconfigure it for a wave box? i am no tank builder but i think the stresses of a wave box will seriously hamper a 6mm tank. check with other guys before you start that ok :)

8. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

lol, guys, First the anemone is in my other tank, then I dont want it to be massive waves lol, just a little bit, dont like the vibration pumps lol

9. seank

seank

ok

10. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

Ok, my test today, well yesterday I broke my plunger that was made with perspex after the 3 stroke:p Today fitted a 8mm polysthrene board and did some manual plungeing and got a wave up to 1cm and a lot of current at the bottom, now just to figure out how to do the 12v wiper motor modification :)

11. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

how about a link to the youtube video about the plunger thing ?

12. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

hahaha, don't know how to do that, and just drained it an hour back, if it's on the stand and motor connected, then I'll try the you tube thing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the fittings laying in the tank was pushed forward and backwards with the current at the bottom and was thinking of adding a closed loop system too, but now with that current I don't know:p

13. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Xtreme - why would you have those holes at the bottom of your overflow? I love your tank and overflow design - don't get me wrong.... but those holes?

14. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

not following you jacques (by the way my name is jacques too) meaning by they will make the goro goro goro noise:p if it is the wholes you speaking of
    [​IMG]

15. jacquesb

No mate. And Jacques' are good people, hey! ;)

I was talking about the 4 holes at the bottom of the black nylon/plastic/perspex? (out to the "front" of the tank/side of the tank)....

Hope you understand?

16. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

oh ok, those are where the flow go in and out, I saw it on you tube, will see if I can find it again, the nozzles is laying in the tank and covered with nylon mess so that small fish doesn't go in there

if I recall correctly I wanted to make my profile name jacquesA (jacques alberts) but thought you may skell me:)

17. jacquesb

LOL! No man! Everyone to their own! I don't have ANY "hangups"! ;)

18. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

ok guys, just started the stand, need your info on sump for this stand

still have to do corner supports and weld adjustable nut in middle for even surport, there will be wood for the tank base and for sump area.
    Made the sump area longer for a chiller next to it
    total length of frame is 145cm, need about 30cm for chiller.
    my 750L tank frame is to low for me to work under so I made this one clearance of 80cm, now i can work under it:p

remember I want to fit all the goodies in here, maybe I can lift the chiller up on the side next to the tank and it will return to DT and not in sump.
    What do you say, I'm here to learn and do what you say;)[​IMG]

19. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

my stand is almost finished!!
    Do you have any further ideas?
    [​IMG]

20. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

ok let see if this is going to work:p
    [​IMG]

21. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter