Need help, Noob trying out

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Space007, 1 Dec 2010.

1. Space007

Space007

Good day Guys and Gals :wave2:,

I have started a Salt water tank last week sunday. Tank is 1 metre x 40 x 40 and the sump is the same size. I added the salt (22kg, dont know if this is enough or to much, was advised by the pet shop guys) and everything looks fine so far.

I am not running a overflow, i am using two pumps (Flowing in and flowing out). I want to know if anybody else has this sort of setup and if they can please give me some advise on the pumps they use as currently my one pump (Coming from the sump) pumps slower than the one pumping down into the sump?

Secondlly, when can i add live rock? As per the shop guys who advised this sunday ( 1 week after salt was done)?

3rd: i have not bought a protein skimmer as yet, will this effect the process in any way? I will buy it before i start adding fish and coral.

Will take some picks over the weekend and post them!!:yeahdude:

Thanks allot for all the help, as i NEED it!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. rakabos

rakabos

Speechless I am right now, but anyway. Did the pet shop guys advise you how you measure salinity at all in a marine tank, and what the correct parameters should be ?????

4. shrimpman

shrimpman

Will it work?

Space007, Can you tell where the pump is in your main tank, top middle or bottom.shrimpman

5. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Firstly, I recon you should tell us which LFS you got this supposed "advice" from! That is just scary!

You need to look at the instructions on the bucket of salt, to give you a guide on how much you need to be adding for a tank of your volume. Including the sump... I recon your total tank capacity is around 400L... So you'd need to work out how much salt to add for 400L of aquarium water...

Did you add tap water to your tank and then chuck the salt in, or did you use RO water?

With regards to the 2 pumps driving your system, if the one pumps slower that the other one, you are going to flood your house. If the power goes off and the pipes create a reverse syphon, you are going to flood your house...

Good luck dude, and welcome to MASA. We are here to help you fix these issues, so don't take anything too personally. Don't add anything to your tank yet. Let's try sort your issues out before you add anything.

Last edited by a moderator: 3 Dec 2010
  6. Tremayn

Tremayn

Hey mate! Best is not to stock anything because there are too many faults with the system.
    1st If you used RO water then empty the water into containers and keep it. If you used tap water then you will have to dump it unfortunately. With salt, generally a 22kg bucket will make 650L of water, so your SG will be crazy!

2nd You will need to have the tank drilled and have an overflow from the DT to the sump because there are alot of problems with using 2 pumps. So this will save you from alot of troubles later on.

3rd What substrate are you using? If it is coarse like crushed coral with big chunks then you will need to change it for aragonite or playsand.

4th Most importantly! You will have to restart the system because there are too many problems. Its best to do it now. Please post pics of what you have now and we will advise you. Dont be disheartened, Think of it as being lucky because you could of lost alot of money before coming on masa.

NB---> Dont listen to your petshop, they dont seem to know much about marines. Read up on the beginner threads here and you will learn alot! Ask as many questions as you want and there are no stupid questions. Sometimes guys may seem like they are shouting but its because people are very passionate here and want the best for you :) ..All the best, and WELCOME TO MASA ;)

7. Anemone

Anemone

Definately purchase a refractometer to test your salinity. Also know that you top off evaporated water with RO or RODI water, NOT saltwater. Salt doesn't evaporate, if you keep topping off evaporated water with saltwater, your salinity will eventually sky rocket.

Definately get the two pump situation taken care of soon, you have a flood waiting to happen, and I promise, it WILL happen.

You are also going to want to invest in some test kits for ammonia, pH, nitrates, and nitrites. Depending on what livestock you want to add, you may need more test kits.

Research everything before your purchase. Know what livestock is compatible with what. You will also want to research your clean up crew (CUC).

You will need to do routine water changes. This can be anywhere from weekly to monthly, depending on your set up, amount of livestock, amount of food, and type of food you are using. Water change water needs to be premixed for 24 hours if you are using synthetic salt water.

Keep reading, and ask lots of questions.

and... welcometomasa

8. Space007

Space007 Thread Starter

Jeez, i spent so much on this and now its turning into a disaster!! :(

I will take some pics tonight and post them so that i can rectify the problems!!

I used tap water, mixed salt in a bucket and added it into the sump so it can pump through the system. I had a lot of problems in the begging, with the pumps, i then figured out it is the flow rate. So i used one pump to pumt it into the tank from the sump, and then i used (yes this is bad, i will replace it this weekend) a piece of hose pipe as it is smaller than my pipe running from the sump, more pressure. So i got the flow rate right! But as stated, i WILL have a problem when the power cuts. Built in swimming pool :p

The pet shop also gave me this strange themometer which measures the density aswell. the deeper in the water this thing sits, the better, there is a green line that has to be level with the water, but its still sticking out about 5 cm.

So let me get this straight, there is NOTHING i can do? I have to drain the water, build a overflow and then start over again? The salt alone is like R890!! But if it has to be done then so be it!!! I fell in love with sea water tanks ever since i laid eyes on the first one!! I am from the Cape and live in JHB, so a piece of home in my new home is all i want for christmas ;)

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help guys!! AND PLEASE DONT QUITE ON ME!!!

"Many hand make light work"

Sorry for beeing stupid, should have researched!!

9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

firstly, you not stupid...you just a newcomer. EVERYONE on this forum has made some obvious error.

dont worry, rather have problems sorted out now than when you have an established tank. The only mistake youve made so far is not have an overflow drilled. Something which is quickly, easily and most importantly cheaply fixed. Believe me you dont want t orun into issues when you have livestock in it.

that would be the hydromoeter. it measures the salt content of the water. What reading is it giving?

unfortunately that is the case. Althought the R890 seems like alot now, it will be much cheaper in the long run to get things done properly form the start.

10. Anemone

Anemone

You can save the saltwater. You can get away with a fish only (FO) with live rock (FOWLR) system using tap water to mix your salt...dechlorinated of course.

With where you are at right now, I recommend keeping just fish and live rock (LR) for a while. There is a lot to learn yet, and there are many choices to be made when selecting your lighting for coral.

Don't beat yourself up to bad with the mistakes you've made. I've made plenty and I can't tell you how many times I've had to clean up saltwater. Just a few weeks ago I had a hang on back (HOB) skimmer malfunction and dump saltwater all over the floor in a second story room, which seeped through the floor and into a ceiling light fixture on the first floor...:whistling: Salt, water, and electricity are never a good combo!

11. Anemone

Anemone

Also make sure you know how to properly cycle your tank before adding any livestock.

12. Tremayn

Tremayn

Its not as bad as you may think! Better to know the problems and fix them now :)

13. Space007

Space007 Thread Starter

P.S. What is RO water? Sorry, dont really know the "lingo". Please go easy on the noob, not to much slang please :thumbup:

I want to have Fish and coral in my tank :)

So, pump out the water, get an over flow happening and i should be fine? I have all the bio balls, crush coral (Its fine bytheway, like sea sand) and sif medium. How big should the over flow be? Is there any specific size?

14. 459b

RO stands for Revers Osmosis. Its a water purification technique that removes all dissolved solids from water.

bioballs are not good.
    Can you please descibe exactly how your setup stands at the moment. Like how many chambers in your sump, what is in ech etc.

15. Anemone

Anemone

16. Boegie

Boegie

Very welcome. All I can add now is to look up the petshops that are sponsors on MASA. They are professional reefkeepers and you will not make a mistake visiting them.

17. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Yeah, RO water is reverse Osmosis water. You can buy it direct from a lot of pet shops, but over time it could get quite pricey. It's generally around R0.50 - R2.00 per liter. But you could also look at buying a RO unit from Marco - The waterboy. He makes fantastic units and they are very well priced!

If you want corals as well, I really would recommend that you toss all the water you already mixed. Chuck it down the drain, not into the garden. You'll kill your plants/grass/etc...

Where do you stay in JHB? If you want some help with something, and you're close by, I don't mind giving you a hand.

Also, you are going to need to look at flow pumps for your display tank. I recon you should be able to get away with 2 small (3000l/h) pumps in the display. Your return pump will do the rest for you.

In terms of lighting on the tank, what have you got at the moment? For corals, depending on what type you want to keep, you will need a fair amount of light. I'd recommend T5's. Maybe 4 x 39watt T5's. You'd be able to keep a nice selection of easy to grow corals.

Keep your chin up dude. It really is a rewarding hobby!

18. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum, it may all be a bit overwhelming at first, but stick with us, the guys here will get you on the right track in no time and you'll end up with a stunning tank to be proud of.
    Did you use any dechlorinator on the tap water?

19. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

20. Space007

Space007 Thread Starter

If i used Osmosis salt, would that make a difference? The salt i used is Osmosis salt, i told the pet shop guy that i want coral in there?

21. 459b

what is Osmosis salt???
    I think for the sake of humanity you need t otell us which shop this is.

Recent Posts