Need help in setting up tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Orchard, 16 Jan 2010.

1. Orchard

Orchard

Hi There guys. My name ia Jacques. I am an new menber to the forum and to the marine aquariums. I have a 2m tank that i want to set up , but i have no knowledge of equipment or sistems that i would need to set up my tank. Please if anyone can help me in deciding what to get i would be very gratefull. I stay in Durbanville Cape Town so if there is anyone that wants to sell equipment that i can use please let me know . Look forward to hearing from you.
    Cheers

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anemone

Anemone

Welcome to MASA!

Do you have an idea of what you want to keep? Soft Coral, LPS (large polyp stony), SPS (small polyp stony), or fish only? Is your tank reef ready? Did you purchase the tank new?

4. FransSny

FransSny

Welcome to MASA Jacques !

As anemone mentioned have you thought of what you will be keeping in the long run as this wil really determine what you will need. Also save you a load of $$$$$ in the long run.

2 M tank is a nice size although the equipment outlay might be a bit high (once again depends on what you want to keep)

If you are not in too much of a hurry to get things going, I will be down that side end of the month (opening Dorry Pets CPT) and more than willing to assist

BTW: what are the other dimensions of the tank ? H & W..that would give you volume thus make it able to sort you out with the correct size skimmer etc

5. Orchard

Orchard Thread Starter

I would like to keep some fish and coral. I am looking to make the tank a nice feature in my house. My tank is 2m long 500mm wide and 750mm heigh.

6. Orchard

Orchard Thread Starter

MY tank is 2m long 500mm wide and 750mm heigh. I am looking to make a nice feature of my tank and put in some coral and fish. I have a glass shop and made the tank myself. It is ready to setup, but i do not know what type of equipment i need , like skimmers, filters etc. I have made a 900mm sump aswell. Please can you advise in what equipment would be enough

7. Anemone

Anemone

Your lighting needs are going to depend on what type of coral you keep (soft coral, LPS, or SPS) with soft coral needing the least amount of light and SPS needing the most.

You also need to decide on filtration. Your live rock and sand bed will be part of it, along with your clean up crew (CUC) such as snails and crabs. Other choices are a protein skimmer sump/refugium. I recommend having a sump/refugium, skimmer. There are a lot of options with each of the choices, so research everyone before you purchase.

Search the forums, look for pics, and ask a bunch of questions. It can get pretty confusing in the beginning.

If there is a reef club in your area, I highly recommend joining. Hopefully you can view other setups to give you a better idea of your options.

8. FransSny

FransSny

@ anemnone, very well said

@ jacques, best bet would be to post pics of your sump, & tank even before buiing anythin. The reason is that should anything need to be changed, you have time.

As for a skimmer always look for one rated bigger than your setup, your DT is about 750 L (this will change as you will add LR , sand etc) sump will also add to your water volume, so take that into account.

9. Anemone

Anemone

Very impressive.

10. FransSny

FransSny

jacques...you have a pm:)

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very WARM welcome to MASA, Jacques! Now we have 3 Jacques' on the forum (as far as I know! ;)).....

2 Metre is a nice size - very sorry about the 500mm width though....
    at 750mm high, you would definitely need to look at getting either 80 watt T5's, or a minimum of 150 watt metal halides......

I would want to suggest to take your time with this tank build. Rather spend a few months longer, and get the right equipment the 1st time, than want to be in a hurry, and having to upgrade before year's end.....

These are the steps I would take, in the following order:
    1) get your sump and return pump sorted 1st of
    2) get substrate, live rock and water sorted
    3) once you have substrate in your tank, and live rock in both your tank's sump, and in your tank itself (you can have a combination of actual very high quality live rock, and dead/bio-rock (fake live rock - man made) inside your actual display tank. Try and not overdo the amount of rock in your display tank - then let your tank cycle for 3 to 3 months....
    4) in this time, save up, and try and find the absolute best (over-rated for your total water volume) skimmer that you can afford. Look at the following brands: ReefOctopus/ReefTek, Bubble Magus (these seems to be the best value for money that you can find - the best brands - but also the most expensive brands, are: Deltec, Bubble King, Bubble Blaster))
    5) Once you have your skimmer sorted - you can look at lighting - in the meanwhile, while the tank is cycling, you can use any cheap light over the tank, just that you can watch the cycling progress (and see the tiny critters develop from the live rock)....
    Get the correct lighting the first time - you don't want to spend money, and then a year later spend more than double that amount of money on a lighting unit... look at the offers available....
    Keep in mind what I suggested w.r.t the types of lighting you SHOULD be using......
    6) Get the BEST/correct water flow power-heads that you can afford, for use in your tank.... The value for money brands are: SunSun, SEIO, ReSun - the top of the range, is: Tunze and AM
    You want a very wide distributed amount of water flow - the water flow should be chaotic and erratic and turbulent - we are trying to emulate the see and the water flow over the reefs - in our tanks..... to make the living environment for fish and corals the best as they are used to, in nature.....

The absolute best for water flow, is a surge type system. This does make things the absolute best in our marine tanks..... but, getting this type of system is quite expensive....

Good luck with this process......

Enjoy the journey of keeping marines - it is really an addictive journey... and one where you will learn a HUGE amount....

Please read as much, and ask as many questions from now, until your tank is cycling..... BEFORE you make purchases, ask us.... we have no financial gain in giving you good advice.

Also - try and support our sponsors as best as possible - because without them MASA would not exist......

Enjoy mate!

12. mnd123

mnd123

Wow, what better advice than you are getting from Jacques, Brenda and Frans!!!

Welcome to the forums! Thats a lovely size for a reef tank!

13. nemo_jhb

nemo_jhb

welcometomasa

14. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome Mate...

15. flipwhip

flipwhip

Welcome to MASA…...:thumbup:

16. Orchard

Orchard Thread Starter

Need help setting up

Hi guys. I just want to know something. I have a fluval canister filter, can i use this solong to run water through my sump and sirculate the water? What material must i use in my sump? Where do i buy the live rock?

Sorry for all the questions , but i really like getting help from experts.

Jacques

17. FransSny

FransSny

Jacques , for cycling the water the cannister will be fine . However if it was used in FW please give it wa very good wash with RO.

What does your sump look like. If it is 3 chambers the typical setup will be skimmer & inlet (chamber 1) , Deep sand bed (you can use well washed reggies playsand) chamber 2 (you can also add some macro algea here ie cheato and return chamber 3

18. Anemone

Anemone

Yes you can, however, I don’t recommend a canister filter unless you are using it to circulate water in your sump on a temporary basis. Canister filters can be problematic, as they can become a nitrate factory. They can be beneficial for running carbon or phosphate filtration when needed. IMO there are better ways to accomplish this than with a canister filter.

If you want to remove excess detritus a filter sock is a better option, as it can be easily changed, cleaned and then reused.

Things that you may want for your sump can include sand, macro algae, crabs, etc, along with your equipment that you want to hide from your display tank.

Keep asking the questions! It will save you a lot of money in the long run. Sorry I can’t help you with your live rock purchase, I’m just a bit too far away! Take a look to see if there are any sponsors close to you and also check here in the classifieds to see if any reefers are selling live rock.

19. Orchard

Orchard Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

20. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

What glass thickness did u use to build the tank?

21. Orchard

Orchard Thread Starter

Hi Johan.

I used 12mm glass for my tank.

Recent Posts