Need help: Freshwater to Saltwater

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by ebs832004, 15 Jan 2013.

1. ebs832004

ebs832004

hi. I would like to know what do i have to do to convert my tank to saltwater. At the moment it is a cichlid tank. Initially when i was building it up i wanted a marine tank. Had everything bsides test kits and some minor stuff. In the end i decided to make it a cichlid tank. Anyway it is running as a marine tank except for the skimmer which i sold. Has sump, pumps, live rock, substrate, 80watt t5s, has ro water etc. What i wanted to know is, if i had to convert it, do i need to drain all the water out first and start from fresh? Its the wait thats gonna kill me, but i will be able to pull through. Lemme know what i can do... Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. JS

JS

One tip...I once bought a tank, that was used as freshwater tank. Noticed the silicone had a blueish tint to it...turns out it was the copper meds used for the freshwater fish. I ended use cutting out all silicone and redoing it. Copper is no good in a marine tank if you plan on keeping corals...

4. ebs832004

ebs832004 Thread Starter

Ok. When i built the tank i used aqua silicone. I havent added any medicines or even anti chlorine to the water. I should have just stuck to my plan of marine. Decided right at the end... Looks like i have to cycle the water from the start. Do u know if i need to wash the rocks or anything? Thats my tank in the pic

20130115_111802.jpg

5. JS

JS

Hi, yes def.

The water in there is fresh? Dont think the bacteria will survive in saltwater....they will die and cause huge ammonia spikes. Drain all water, rinse rocks in saltwater, fill up again with saltwater, and wait for the cycle to complete. Use a good bacteria supplement during the cycle...

6. the fish

the fish

masahello

can use special blend to start with the bacteria also for an alternative you dose Stabilty and Prime from the seachem range. all this after the new water has been added to the system. would also suggest leaving the rock in salt water for a bit not just rinse it and put it inside the system. if you follow this route also ad an airstone or 2 to the buckets and flow pumps so that the water doesn't start to rot.

Recent Posts