Urgent help needed Need advice

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Theo, 11 Oct 2017.

1. WLG

WLG

60%
    The root cause of your high pH and the reason for your pH swings wildly are most likely your calcium reactor (you state that you have ca and mg media). Tanks with reactors typically run at slighly lower pH due to some residual CO2. You are likely substantially overdosing to get such a high pH. Remember as your fish biomass increases your alkalinity consumption will increase (nitrification consumes alkalinity) further reducing pH. Just stay in the optimum range and you will be fine. One more point on the fish, copper is extremely stressful eventhough it is very good at killing parasites. Rather consider Hyposalinity as a q method. You can run carbon and a biofilter and maintain optimum water quality and the fish will be far less stressed at the end of the period.

2. Guest

3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator

100%
    Whats your SG at and tank temp?

4. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

37%
    Welcome if i missed your introductory thread @WLG , nice to see somwone with a bit more in depth insight around.
    Theo, Has your pH always been this high? With your carx supposed to be driving down pH, and you not adding kalk, i would definitely suspect the artificial rock and the Baking soda addition playing a significant part. Milwaukee is one of the industry leaders when it gets to anything pH related, and their meters are all easy to calibrate, so i would trust their readings if there was no error in calibration.

5. irie ivan

37%
    CO2 is not your concern as CO2 lowers pH

6. OP
    Theo

Theo Shrimp

21%
    The time period was between 2-3 days, in which they never ate. There was no other symptoms, they just started to look almost lethargic, almost as if they were too tired to swim, en then they die. I removed the bta, as it was not finding a happy place, what type of toxins can the corals have that can cause this?

The carx is running at 1drp/sec, this maintains the alk, ca and mg at thedesired levels, the ph in carx is 6,58. I recalibrated it this morning again. Should I dail down the carx? Perhaps to 1drp/2sec?

Sg is 1.025 and temp 25.8

The ph has always been at about 8.45, which is at the higher end, but it suddenly went to 8,78. After adding the vinegar and the airpump its actually quite stable 8,4. Should I add more vinegar to bring it down to 8,3 perhaps?

How will I know if the rocks, corals, shrimps, glass, silicon, last evenings dinner, my shoe size, my feedings, my lighting, my type of hair style, the color of my eyes or my underpants brand is causing this, or if anything is releasing toxins?

7. Haffy

Haffy Shrimp

96%
    I would suggest as a further test to add a cheaper hardy fish to the system to see how it does and monitor the fish and all readings closely.

Maybe chromis or something like that.

8. irie ivan

37%
    The Carx us not your problem, if it is doing its job, leave it set as is.
    No need to bring it down to 8.3, an 8.4 max is good, just ensure it does not spike above it.
    I would not add more vinegar to bring down the pH as it is an organic C source and could cause a bac bloom and O2 depletion.
    As to what is causing the high pH, i would work through a process of elimination.
    Perhaps start with the rock / substrate in ur system.
    Keep some in water with a known pH and see what happens with pH once rock is in.

9. OP
    Theo

Theo Shrimp

21%
    I am planning to do this. The ph settled at 8,4 and remained there for the whole day. I set up a camcorder and ff the video this evening. It started to drop at around 6, its now 22:00 and its been at 8,25 for the past hour, that’s expected. It seems as if the aeration works. I’ll keep the camera on it throughout the night, check it in the morning and set it up for the day again. I’ll also do a complete check tomorrow morning. Thank you for everyone’s input. I’ll update tomorrow morning.

Haffy likes this.
  10. OP
    Theo

Theo Shrimp

21%
    Hello all.

I kept a close eye on my parameters over the weekend. All parameters including ph was perfect. The highest the ph went was 8,41. This stabilized after I inserted a airpump and tuned up the aeration to the pumps max. This morning I turned it down, and within 3 hours the ph went up to 8,57.

I believe the ph issue is due to improper aeration. Would you agree on that?

I placed a biggish piece of LR in a bucket, I used water from the quarantine tank, the current ph is 8,25, I placed a powerhead in with it. Will 24 hrs be enough to test this water again?

Last edited: 15 Oct 2017 at 14:03
  11. irie ivan

37%
    Yes and as a consequence not enough CO2 being pulled into the system to bring down the pH. The aeration you are introducing is. Ringing in more CO2
    Bit of a catch 22 as increasing the bioload will add more respiration and introduce more CO2, bringing down pH.
    Notwithstanding, there is something in the system that is pushing up your pH, first thing that pops to mind is the artificial rock.
    When neutralizing after acid, you mentioned rinsing, not soaking and rinsing:001_cool:?
    Perhaps a regular addition of some CO2 to bring things into equilibrium... as nentioned, vinegar might cause a bac bloom, perhaps consider some carbonated water....

12. OP
    Theo

Theo Shrimp

21%
    @irie ivan, thank you kindly sir. I did soak the rock with baking soda for 24 hrs, then rinsed it 2-3 times. I placed a biggish piece of rock in a bucket containing water from the quarantine tank. The current ph is 8,25. Also placed a powerhead in with it. Wil 24 hrs be enough to retest it?

13. irie ivan

37%
    Yip should be more than enough time.

Theo likes this.
  14. 2una

2una LPS Coral

27%
    If your skimmer is a DC one knocking that back a few power levels will also let your ph be lower - i'd be triple checking what that ph meter is reporting 1st tho,seems odd with carx as well it being so high.

15. OP
    Theo

Theo Shrimp

21%
    I took 2 biggish rocks yesterday evening, one from DT one from sump, placed then in separate buckets with powerheads and left them to run last night and today. Both buckets started with a ph of 8.25 and both ended with 8.25. So its not the rock.

What else can be causing it. I also don’t understand why, with the carx, its this high. Any other suggestions?

Just to add with all the ph problems my maulwakee broke, butI do have a boyu one. I’ll be sure to calibrate it every week for now. I calibrated both my ph meters( the carx ph regulator one) and both said the same.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:59
  16. 2una

2una LPS Coral

27%
    Lighting drives it up but your not MH so i doubt its that unless your lighting is on for a super long period.
    If that skimmer happens to be a monster oversize one could also be adding to it

17. irie ivan

37%
    You living in a building where they pumping copiuous amounts of O2 into air vents???
    Perhaps the rocks you took out have leached what they could... hence no effect in the new bucket..... running out of straws to clutch at here.....
    You are using RO for topup?

18. OP
    Theo

Theo Shrimp

21%
    @2una tank is 650L and skimmer is rated 1000L.

@irie ivan no, no airvents. I use RODI water for everything. Im guessing the problem is the aeration...

19. 2una

2una LPS Coral

27%
    get some ph 7 & 9 solution & check the meters
    i'm also 650L tank,run carx & i run 2 skimmers(BM D8 & D9) + kalk + co2 scrubbers to keep my ph above 8.
    If those meters are running 0.3 or so out you have no ph issue...just seems real odd its so high with a carx involved.

NJH likes this.

Recent Posts