Need Advice Tank electrocution

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by IamVendetta, 25 Mar 2015.

1. IamVendetta

IamVendetta

Hi guys

The other day i put my hand in my tank not wearing any shoes and got a nasty electric shock :m33:

After using a volt meter i discovered that it was my skimmer pump that was causing the problem :m35:

I have a reeftech ts1 skimmer and the pump is in perfect condition iv had it for about just over 3 year and i don't want to buy another 1 because i dont have the money right now.

Can it be repaired or will reefoctopus replace it?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dexter

Dexter

Search for a thread by @RiaanP. He has a thread to make a simple probe to "earth" your tank.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Hails

Hails

Check for any damage on the wiring. On occasion the inner wires are slightly damaged or make ccontact with the water. I'm sure tthere are a few people who know how to fix them on MASA.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Replace it.

Also got a TS1 pump in need for replacement
    Got another backup skimmer running.

6. zippy

zippy

what i've found that occasionally helps is pull the pump out give it a good clean and silicone the cable where it enters the pump housing, all the way around the cable.

7. Verndog

Verndog

I would replace it with a more reliable brand. Maybe try SICCE. Don't mess around with electricity,there are hobbyists who lost there lives in similar circumstances.

A ground probe should be seen as a safety standard and not to simply get rid of stray voltage. Fix the problem, ground probe for safety connected to the earth in a plug.

Esmond, Charl_Stanhope and Dexter like this.
  8. HoboHoppy

HoboHoppy

9. mitchel

mitchel

My bubble blaster shimmer pump was faulty also shocked the grap out of me I've earthed my tank now and got a new pump. I never what to get a shock like that again. Every one should earth there tank

10. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

As much as I agree that earthing your tank is a good idea, but it should not be to replace a faulty piece of equipment. If that piece of equipment is faulty, it will just get worst and one day that ground probe might fail and because you have "hidden" the current in your tank, you will get a much worst shock. As some members said, people have lost their lives because of it.

Back to the topic, check the plug, salt creep, maybe even a tiny bit of damaged insulation somewhere. You might be lucky and its something small. :) Good luck

Recent Posts