Need advice on lights

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've got a 1.6 x 600 x 500 m tank started about 2 and a half months ago 10 fish mainly clowns and damsels. also have 5 plants leather, mushroom,other tree I dont know looks quite healthy. 4 white and two blue aqua medic t5's not on timers.
Question: for how long do i leave my lights on and can i switch all the lights off when i go sleep around 11 o clock at night.

Thanx

Hey Struggles, you can run your tank lights for about 10-12 hours a day.I run mines for 11 hours.
Please post some pics of your tank :)

Hey Struggles, you can run your tank lights for about 10-12 hours a day.I run mines for 11 hours.
Please post some pics of your tank :)
Thanx for the reply i have posted pictures on the gallary lots of changes since will get new once tomorrow dont have a camara setting up a marine tank take all the money. can i switch off my lights:yeahdude:

Hey struggles, I wish I could house a tank that size, just something to mention, corals are animals, you might hurt their feelings if you call them plants, haha:lol:. Anyway, enjoy the hobby. And hope you come right with the lights

struggles, you can run almost any cycle, the amazing thing about these creatures is they adapt to almost any lighting cycle.

Some oversea reefers run a double cycle in a 24 hour period IE: lights on 8 hours, then off 4, then on again 8 etc.

They reckon it con's the coral into having two days in one and supposedly increases growth

struggles, you can run almost any cycle, the amazing thing about these creatures is they adapt to almost any lighting cycle.

Some oversea reefers run a double cycle in a 24 hour period IE: lights on 8 hours, then off 4, then on again 8 etc.

They reckon it con's the coral into having two days in one and supposedly increases growth

Thanx War, It still does'nt answer my question can i switch off my lights at 11 and on at 7:p

Yes switch your lights off. The inhabitants need a rest cycle.

Yes it does trick them quite well and it works. I had the science here somewhere.... HOWEVER the studies were conducted purely to study the effect of increased photoperiods on respiration and metabolism of scleractinians AND NOT to measure the long term effect on overall health.
Furthermore AFAIK there is no scientific literature studying the benefits of a dark period for corals, BUT at the end of the day Nature knows best.

Your lighting regime does sound a bit long, so rather do 7 to 7 (more natural, closer to the lighting regime in the tropics where our corals originate from) or if you get home late at nite and would appreciate viewing the tank, set your lighting timers from 11am to 11pm. Also, do not have all your lights come on at once, as this does frighten fish and I am sure corals as well. Remember the sun does not suddenly appear brightly at midday.

Agree with Ivan.
An example of the photo period should be, blues first,then whites (T5's) and then MH's. Leave an hour gap in between.
The same should apply to lights going out ie. MH's first then whites (T5's) then blues.
Please not this is merely an example,not everyone has the above mentioned lighting.

Back
Top Bottom