Need advice on a rainbow bubble tip anemone

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by ziguri, 20 Apr 2015.

1. ziguri

ziguri

Was just wondering how strong lighting i would need if i were to get an RBTA. I currently have 4 x T5 bulbs only, would this be adequate enough? Also any other tips or things i should check before i get one of these? Tank is running for a year or more now already.

On a side note, are there any other anemones which are easier to keep and would be likely be hosted by clownfish? (Ever since i have set up marine, it was always a dream to have clowns hosting an anemone.. but i have been patient up to now :) .. Parameters are stable and fish are healthy + some healthy zoas and assorted mushrooms etc)

Which essential parameters should be in check etc to successfully keep the anemone?

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. zippy

zippy

RBTA's are the easiest imo, T5's some guys get away with them, make usre you have stable nutrient levels and you feed regular.

ziguri and (deleted member) like this.
  4. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

Cool, when you say stable nutrient levels, what are you exactly referring to ..nitrates, phosphates, Mg, Ca etc?

thx

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

what is the tank height?

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

T5 and bubble anemones goes well together. These anemones do prefer slightly less intense light.

But as Dallas asked. How deep is your tank. How high is your rock stack? Basically how deep will you place the anemone.

And keep in mind, he will move if he is not happy. I got 4 bubble tips in my tank. All from the same original that did split up. 3 are fairly low in my tank. But one is much higher than the others. OK, they are under Radion lights. All of them moved on their own to where they are at the moment.

ziguri likes this.
  7. Jason

Jason

I have a Pink Bubble Tip under a 6x39w HO unit and he actually moved lower down the tank. He is about 60cm away from the light unit and i should also add that im only running 4 out of the 6 tubes. I feed him twice a week and has not moved since he found the new spot where he is happy.

8. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

Tank is about 640mm high . I was planning on placing it approximately mid-height somewhere.

9. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

Here is a little older pic of my tank, the rock height / formation is basically the same right now

image.jpg

10. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

I was thinking somewhere in the circled area, as the clowns often hang around on that side of the tank?

image.jpg

11. zippy

zippy

looks to be a good spot, turn your pumps lower for the first few days until it has found it's spot, then turn them up slowly, if you can't turn them down try turning them upward pushing toward the surface and maybe put a plastic orange bag, filter wool or sponge around the "suction" end of the pumps for good measure.

dallasg and ziguri like this.
  12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Is the algae sorted?
    If not, first look into get parameters more in line.

13. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

Algae is lookinguch better atm. There was a green algae bloom when I added rocks from my bros tank (the green rocks in the pic) and I think I made it worse at some point by adding too many biopellets at once to reactor. I will test parameters later to confirm where they are at

14. zippy

zippy

yip, make sure you keep iodine, your PH and nutrient levels, in terms of Phosphates and Nitrates, stable as possible, they don't react well to change.

15. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

I tested my parameters last night and all are excellent besides nitrates and phosphates. Phosphates are at 0.5 and nitrates at 25ppm (I had to use an older test kit as i didnt have my usual test kit in hand.. i will do another test when i find my other nitrate kit) I added some lanthanum chloride to remove the phosphate and i will do a 100 liter water change tonight or tomorrow.

My question though is, will nitrates and phosphates be hurtful towards an anemone. The research i have done online seems so say that it will not hurt them, even though it might possibly cause some sort of stress? Any thoughts?

16. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Not usually too fussed about those levels of nitrates and phosphates IME.

ziguri likes this.
  17. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Rather wait for parameters to get better before adding an anemone. A stressed anemone isnt something you want. Anemones are very susceptible to parameter shifts.

Christo and ziguri like this.
  18. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

Ive got my water paramters more in check now and was planning on getting a bubble tip today on my way home. Apparently we are having load shedding though from 6 until 10:30, so was wondering whether the anemone will be stressed if added to a tank without lights? The rest of my tank will still be up and running (pumps, wavemakers etc), just the lights are not connected to my inverter. Another question id like to ask is about placement... shoudl i just place it anywhere and let it find a place or is there a better option?

19. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

Here is a pic of the tank. Flow on the right is low to medium, flow on the left is stronger

image.jpg

20. Mouse

Mouse

What is the water capacity of the tank in litres?

You guys have 4.5 hours of loadshedding a day - are you equipped to deal with these power outages? It seems that you don't have a backup power supply because you say your lights will be out.
    Keep in mind the smaller the tank, the larger the parameter swings.

Last edited: 22 May 2015
    dallasg likes this.
  21. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

its not about getting parameters in check, its about keeping them stable.
    i would not add an anemone during loadshedding

Recent Posts