Need a Starfish

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Lae-Lee, 18 Feb 2013.

1. Lae-Lee

Lae-Lee

Hi

My little sister (12) wants a starfish for her birthday. I need help setting up the simplest tank possible and information about where to buy the stuff and starfish.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Hi there,

It's not quite as simple as that. The tank needs to cycle for weeks, and depending on the type of starfish it will have specific requirements.

Most people here will likely echo what I'm about to say - marine livestock are not meant as whimsical gifts.

For the sake of the livestock, get her a Patrick Star soft toy instead.

4. Lae-Lee

Lae-Lee Thread Starter

That's a bit mean. My sister is a very intelligent and serious little girl. She is the smartest in her class and does not see a starfish as a whimsical gift. She is interested in starting a marine tank and is very serious about it. I thought it would be nice to help her by making the initial capital investment on her behalf and surprising her with it.

5. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Juheeeeeezzzzz

Okey dokes. Knock yourself out.

6. Lae-Lee

Lae-Lee Thread Starter

So no help from you then?

7. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Evidently not.

8. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA Lae-Lee
    When is your sisters birthday? Unfortunately most of the pretty starfish are rather difficult to keep due to their specific dietary requirements. If your sister is keen on marines, i would rather suggest getting a basic setup for now (with a few fish and maybe a shrimp or two) and then get a starfish at a later stage.

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Sand sifting starfish will not survive in a too small tank.

But you can look at micro brittle stars, even normal size brittle star do not need a lot of space and they are very nice in a small system where they cannot hide forever.

Cushion stars are small, max R5 coin size and a small tank can handle a few of them, with a brittle sar as well. Cushions eat algae and the brittle are catching food in the water like flakes going by.

There is a 38L system in the for sale section that you can look at. Perfect to begin with and for this type of setup.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

But do not get any other type of star fish, none other will survive in such a young setup. Only a brittle star would. Plus 2 or 3 cushion stars to eat from the glass sides and tank back.

11. Lae-Lee

Lae-Lee Thread Starter

Thanks 459b.

Her birthday is 8 April. Can you please advise me about how to go about setting up something simple? Is there a store in Cape Town that I can visit for assistance?

12. Lae-Lee

Lae-Lee Thread Starter

Thanks Riaan! Great advice for making it work. Will look at getting a 38l system. :):):):):)

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

When shopping around for a brittle star, do not get the green type. Get the black white banded mottled type, that is a lot more "hairy".

If you only keep the starfish, it would not matter. But with the mottled type, you can always add one clown (Nemo) later or a small clown goby. The Green type will eventually eat the fish.

14. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

You probably want to go for a 100-150 liter setup. You'll be looking at a few thousand rand for a decent system this size unless you DIY'd one. On the plus side, lighting (often a major expense) only needs to be minimal for a starfish. Some of the easier starfish are actually the larger and more predatory ones like these guys:

Saltwater Invertebrates for Marine Reef Aquariums: Red Knob Sea Star
    Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: Chocolate Chip Sea Star, Protoreaster sp.

They're more visible and interactive than brittlestars and other species that just hide under rocks most of the day. They would still need a tank that has cycled for at least month though, and they'll eat many other invertebrates you may wish to keep.

Lae-Lee likes this.
  15. Lae-Lee

Lae-Lee Thread Starter

Thanks Riaan and Lord Blackadder

16. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Oh, and I do think it's actually a rather good idea for a gift for a 12 year old. I was about 12 or 13 when I got my first marine tank. It's immensely educational.

17. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

I trust that you're right!

18. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

What are are you in? You can check out @Andre@ReefAquatics or @Perky pets superstore they'll give you some great advice on just ask away on the forum, we here to help.;)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  19. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome and great gift...
    while this hobby can be made difficult, its pretty logical and easy enough for a 12yr

If i may make a bold suggestion, since you are in CT how about starting with a local coldwater setup, using natural seawater and local rock pool livestock. there are plenty systems one can get, lets start with budget...

20. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

You can also get secondhand systems for a steal if you keep looking. That's how I started.

21. Lae-Lee

Lae-Lee Thread Starter

Thanks LB... encouraging... I thought all marine tank enthusiasts were gong to be mean. You're nice.

Recent Posts