need a skimmer

Reaction score
HI anyone have a skimmer at good price? New to the market so not wanting to spend my life savings on 1.

Thanks

well thats going to depend alot on what you want to achieve?

while a skimmer is not the be all and end all of marines, the more delicate species will require one that works well for the capacity and load of the system, so perhaps give us a little more info on what size system you have and what you are wanting to keep..

also try read up on the various skimmers, we can all shout out fancy brand names.. but you need to investigate what you are getting for your hard earned cash>>

My tank is 900w(x)600w(x)500h
Got a yellow n sailfin tang and a 6line wrasse.
Want to add a dwarf angel and a few other fish that I havnt decided on yet.
Looking at good value for money, but probly don't want to spend more than R1000

Good Luck Traut!

Also scour the threads for a secondhand unit...I picked up a Reef Octopus DNW150 with pinwheel impellor for R1200.

There were a few TS1 and TS2 for sale...

My tank is 900w(x)600w(x)500h
Got a yellow n sailfin tang and a 6line wrasse.
Want to add a dwarf angel and a few other fish that I havnt decided on yet.
Looking at good value for money, but probly don't want to spend more than R1000

my recomendation would be a TS2 skimmer for your sized system, it wont be too expensive and will provide you with good service untill your system expands and you have had time to research skimmers a bit more..

beware of Macro Aqua, Boyu and Jebo skimmers, while they coaim to be able to do large volumes (at an amazingly cheap price) of water they are barely capable of achieving that under a moderatley loaded system.

skimmers are still a subject we expore almost daily here on the forum and there is a definate difference between cheap and expensive skimmers.. unfortunatley this is an area where you get what you pay for..

what have you got now?

and i second the recomendation to browse the for sale forums, there are some real deals to be found there from time to time...

but educating yourself is the key to be able to know a bargain when you see it..

i was looking at that sort of price for that sort of hardware.
i definitately dont want to buy a unit then still spend R2500 on a pump

thanks guys!

Appreciate the help.
im using a crappy jebo at the moment which actually isnt doing too bad lol but i know that i need a proper unit hence my search.
you guys wont believe how frustrated i am looking for a skimmer here and getting excited when i find 1 but see that the post was like 1 to 2 years ago.

@leslie hempel, IIRC @traut has small sump and space is a issue. @traut how much space is there for a skimmer? I remember Dane saying a TS2 wont fit?

Last edited by a moderator:
to be honest i think a ts2 might be too big. infact it might fit but then will take up most th space.

if im not mistaken i think its 40x40cm

@traut I have a TS1 laying around if you are interested. PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I have a reef octopus 16o octx and the 200 octx and a reeftec ts1.

hi bud i have a red sea prizm pro, it skimz well and also handy if you dont have much space as its a hang on skimmer

to be honest i think a ts2 might be too big. infact it might fit but then will take up most th space.

if im not mistaken i think its 40x40cm

ensure the skimmer is suffiecient for your system capacity rather than trying to fit a skimmer in to your sump, if need be build a new sump as if you employ the use of too small a skimmer and add a substantial load you may be spending cash on phos removers to try eradicate problems arising due to substandard skimming.

Back
Top Bottom