Need a sandsifter to clean my substrate.

Reaction score
I'm using very fine substrate (playsand from toys r us) but I have nothing in my tank that actually cleans the substrate.

What can I use?

I like the Orange spot goby - Valenciennea puellaris

Small fish that enjoys sifting the sand

OTOME_HAZE011019.jpg

viper: would my midas blenny get on with him?

I like the Orange spot goby - Valenciennea puellaris

Small fish that enjoys sifting the sand

OTOME_HAZE011019.jpg

Agreed with viper. They are awesome little dudes. Mine keep the substrate spotless. If you do get some, pleas ewatch that they don't starve. Put some food in the substrate till they start eating properly

Try a small wrasse like Mekaeel said.
Or a sand sifting sea star (Astropecten polycanthus)

Matt, just watch out. The blennies tend to drop the sand all over the place. So if sand on yourcorals will annoy you, skip that option.

Two blennies in a Nano, going to be tough. I would look at maybe an invert option or check out the wrasse

The leopard and radiant wrasse is the only 2 reefsafe wrasses i know of that will mess with your sandbed .
I kept fairy ,flasher and six line wrasses as well but they never worried with the sandbed.

If u looking for a invert try the sand sifting sea star.
They work wonders but u will prolly never c them once u place them in your tank.

I have to say, in a tank the size of Matt's you will see that sand shifting star all too often, it will be starving very slowly to death in such a small and young tank, you will know it's starving by the fact it will be up and down the glass sides looking for food, if you look for Babylonia whelks of nasserius vibex your sand will be turned over very well.

I only buy stuff that will be able to live in my tank indefinitely, so I suppose nausarrius (spelling?) snails are my best bet. Anyone know where I can get some?

I only buy stuff that will be able to live in my tank indefinitely, so I suppose nausarrius (spelling?) snails are my best bet. Anyone know where I can get some?

I have only ever seen (and bought) them from Animal Kingdom in Roodepoort.

Back
Top Bottom