Natural Sun Light tanks what can be done!

Reaction score
Hi All,

for them that don't know what can be done - have a look at natural sun light and some of what other people have done.

I know that not all of us are lucky enough to be able to cut big holes in our roofs but that are things one can do.

I just can't believe the price of the new light units out there and as much as they save electricity can we afford 50% increase in 5 years time? I know my lighting cost is "Free"

Solar Tubes - each one is Equal to a 150 / 250 watt MH

tank.gif

image009.gif

SolatubeInstalled.gif

20120917_064706.jpg

Very interesting.. Where can we get these Solar Tubes?

love those solar tubes, wow.
and i agree with you, the prices of new technology lighting is hectic.

Wow!! Very nice like the implementation in pic 1 the best!! Imagine one can put a light filter on that so that only 15000k goes through...

Wow!! Very nice like the implementation in pic 1 the best!! Imagine one can put a light filter on that so that only 15000k goes through...

We can and it does not cost a lot - they use different plastic film in the movie industry one can use

Last edited by a moderator:
These would work - all you do is not diffuser on them and let in as much light as you can.

and if you ever leave just close them up or remove them for the new place :)

That is where the DIY LED's and or MH come into play and they just for viewing and not needed for growth.

My tank run's 2 x 250W MH currently for viewing if would never be enough for growth and I run them 4 hours a day and when I am away they stay off. so it costs me R2 a day to run my viewing lights. how many years to pay off a R20 000 light unit?

So R2 per day X 30 days = R60 per month X 12 months = R720 per year X 20 years = R14400 yes I will need to replace globes but only when they blow not as I use them for growth and they cheap like R200 imported.

I am sure you can see how very hard it is for me to want to change? and if I go LED DIY then it could even cost less but the DIY LED's need to be cheap

My Skylight cost me

R2500 for the Perspex
R500 Reflective material
R5000 for the Skylight Box

So that is R8000 for my skylight which I did DIY

Have a look at the tanks that are powered by the sun on this forum.

bobthereefbuilder
Adee
Vatso "Brand new only 3 months old" I will show the growth I am getting on my SPS from when I last uploaded some pictures.

I agree with @vatso , Sunlight is awesome if you can do the change in your home...
I built a sunroom and my house is north facing so my tank gets 6hours full sunlight and free lightning and dimming...LOL! no controllers etc..
i also get free overcast days and cloud cover

Now im looking into getting two Orphek canons for night viewing...

Thats R8000 DIY. How much will a company charge you as many people dont have the skills? Did you have to buy tools to do the job? And since you only want to use the LEDs to view the tank at night there is no need to go for a R20000 unit. You can get away with a couple of PAR38 globes if you really want.

Last edited:
Thats R8000 DIY. How much will a company charge you as many people dont have the skills? Did you have to buy tools to do the job? And since you only want to use the LEDs to view the tank at night there is no need to go for a R20000 unit. You can get away with a couple of PAR38 globes if you really want.

That's the point even if it cost R20K + or what ever the new price of these light units are it's still will work out cheaper in 1 month and 20 years the cost of the light is free ;) and if you order now you get the best light you could ever get for any corals.

One of the biggest reasons everyone was so scared of sun light was algae growth which we now all know is a none issue.

really considering this and a skylight is a nice feature to a home
but the solar tubes look awesome

Want to know, as UV cannot penetrate normal glass, what do you use to keep the elements out, is that the perspex @vatso?

solar tubes look awesome
Yeah they do, and being a Trekkie fan, they remind me of the transport room too, "beam me up Skottie!"

We can and it does not cost a lot - they use different plastic film in the movie industry one can use

Well, with the current state of things with Eskom increasing tariffs year on year, I foresee this becoming the preferred lighting... Even with LEDs low power usage it will get out of hand soon!

:lol: first thing that came up of google ,,,, they look quite nice!

Intrested in the DIY, can you perhaps share the diff components and the type of reflective material.

a nice write up on how you did it would be nice @vatso

The DIY stuff used.

I went to a Perspex company and got a sunlight Perspex it is 3mm think which was R2500 for 1 meter wide by 5 meters long.

took the cut Perspex and add a rubber lip which you can get from builders warehouse very cheap stuff which has double sided tap on the one side.

I then just look the tiles off my roof and put the Perspex on the wood structure and put some tiles back which held the Perspex in place. and then painted the edge with water sealant paint.

the next part was the box which above my tank it's really really easy to do this I am not a DIY person myself. I did get some advice from Bob.

the best would be to have a look at my build http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=35860

you can see it was not hard to do

Back
Top Bottom