Native Aquarium

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Polychaete, 21 Jul 2014.

1. Polychaete

Polychaete

Hi, first real post so bare with me.

I'm starting up a new marine tank, 110Lx56Wx80H, thus just under 500L.
    I got the tank (and all the other stuff that one needs) from a friend who kept tropical fish, but my intentions are to keep local fish only and what ever invertebrates that are feasible (I will do my research before I introduce new species).

I have searched the forum but couldn't find much on keeping native fish e.g. galjoen, musselcracker, stumpnose, garrick, white steenbras, kob, janbruin, gobies, klipvis, sole, rock cod species, wildeperd,twotone finger fins etc. Thus if you know of any threads or articles pertaining this subject matter please post the link here. Or if you want to give some first hand advice :thumbup:

I can already assume that some species are just not compatible with each other e.g.shad and the rock cod species are sure to make trouble with the others.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA
    Reason you haven't found any threads on keeping those fish, is that for those fish to be small enough to fit in that size aquarium will be undersized. Also those fish grow big..fast.

To keep many of the local southern cape inverts you will need to run a chiller to keep the temp low.

4. Polychaete

Polychaete Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, most likely they all will be undersized. I know one needs a collection permit but is there a legislative issue having/transporting live undersize fish?
    The growth rate I did consider, is it ethically frowned upon to have juvenile fish and return them to the see when they are to big after a couple years?
    I wont be running a chiller (just yet at least) so will be trying to get the more resilient inter tidal species.

5. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Hi there and welcome again :whistling:

6. Polychaete

Polychaete Thread Starter

Ok so here is a pic of the tank at it's old location. I see people here like pics.
    I might just add that I live very close to the see.

Tank.jpg

Last edited: 22 Jul 2014
Recent Posts