Nassarius Snail

Scientific Name Nassaurius vibex
Max. Size: Shell size as big around as a quarter is the largest I have seen. Their foot trails behind about a full shell length as they travel.
Tank Size: Anything from a five gallon nano tank to a 1,000 gallon aquarium. One per 2 gallons is a good rule of thumb as far as tank population/distribution.
Aggression: Not aggressive toward any reef inhabitants, but when it comes to detritus or uneaten foods they are tremendous and relentless scavengers.
Hardiness: Very hardy as long as they are not exposed to high nitrate levels.
Reef-Safe: Absolutely reef safe for all tanks with a 4" deep sand bed. A must in my opinion, as the ultimate sand stirrer.
Available as captive-bred: The Nassarius Snail is extremely difficult to breed in captivity.

The Nassarius snail is a small scavenger with an oval spiral shell that resembles an olive pit, with a long tube like siphon that protrudes from the end of the shell. One of the most ideal scavengers and detritus eaters these snails are perfect for the reef aquarium, quickly consuming detritus, uneaten food, decaying organics, and fish waste. Nassarius snails like to bury themselves in the sand, which will help maintain adequate oxygen levels in the substrate

Warr,

These guys keep the substrate nice and stirred. They hide most of the time but are very quick to respond to food. They are carnivores. Some people report of them actually eating shrimps etc. but gurus agree that it only happens when the prey is already dead or half dead.

Mine never bothered any coral or my clam.

very cool snails dude, the look like a submarine with that little nosel sticking out of the sand.very cool

I'm not sure if these snails are hard for you guys to get or not. Here in the US they are pretty common. If you get the chance to get them, I highly recommend them. I won't have a reef tank without them. The are also fun to watch them pop out of the sand bed at feeding time.

I was told these may not be Nassarius, they live in the sand and have the little snorkel.

Here some pics:

52847c1f86dc4dfc.jpg

Look quite different. Anyway, they are great for stirring up the substrate and the are one of my best clean-up team. They eat anything that hits the sand - food, dead fish, nori etc.

Hi Warr, they are not Nassarius but Welks. Considered not reef safe by many experts.

Hi Warr, they are not Nassarius but Welks. Considered not reef safe by many experts.

Yeh, whelk or conch but as already said, keep an eye on them warren.

Thanks for the heads up guys, I have been keeping an eye on them. I have never seen them on the reef but let them a sniff of dead fish or food and they clean up quick, quick.

Also night crawlers.

T I have never seen them on the reef but let them a sniff of dead fish or food and they clean up quick, quick.
That scares me, it sounds like it's a common occurrence that you have....dead fish lying around...:razz:

That scares me, it sounds like it's a common occurrence that you have....dead fish lying around...:razz:

Ha, Ha have had two losses since playing with this hobby and one was total ignorance on my part and the other was old/sick fish that came with my tank.

Both got scavenged by the Welks.

Back
Top Bottom