Nano's fish list

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Ocean, 7 Mar 2009.

1. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

As a lot of you know I am planning to set up a "bigger tank" but we are going to be renovating soon so this will have to wait until it is done. I have been tank less for almost 3 months and it is KILLING me to see other peoples tanks and awesome coral and fish at LFS, so I decided to make a nano. When the nano is made and set up is another story, right now I want to make a fish list for the nano. I know what kinds of coral I want to put in as my coral knowledge is MUCH greater on corals, I am not saying I am a guru, I'm saying that my fish knowledge is terrible. So I need everyones help to decide on what fish to put in this tank, what you would put in, lets take price out of the equation and look at nice fish.

Now this is going to be a LPS dominated tank with a few softies and MAYBE one or two sps. So nothing that is going to make a bathroom ornament out of my R500 rare coral. Clowns are one of my ideas, but not false clown as they are BORING, please educate me on some nice gobies, blennies, clowns. Three fish I'm looking at, but I want your opinion on there care and if they will fit in a 125L tank.
    1. Jumping bean
    2. Dark/black clown fish or percs and were to get nice ones
    3. Watch men gobies

Now please don't say, 'He is hardy' 'He is nice' give reasons, give me links, give me photos, give me info on care feeding common problems, educate me.

Jason Hargitai

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

I'd skip on the jumping bean in a 125L tank. They are quite aggressive dwarf angels. Perhaps rather look at a coral beauty, lemonpeel or flame.

4. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

My first fish in my old nano were black perculas, i wouldnt advise them from my experince. They were very aggressive and territorial...they actually tried to kill a cleaner shrimp i placed in the tank. Needless to say i had to get rid of them.

5. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

Go to Liveaquaria.com they have a whole section on nano fish. I learnt all the basics there. My favourite little fish are a royal gramma and a Midas Blenny.

6. Warr7207

Warr7207

Get Clarki or Sebae Clowns, if clowns is your thing.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Coral Identification and information at Coralidea.com

Royal Gramma are always cool.

2 x Clown Gobies, if you can find them, they will live in the branches of your SPS

A Shrimp goby, like the redband or Blackray are very cool in a nano.

And lastly the more common firefish always go well with this size tank.

7. Ocean

Ocean Thread Starter Lazy Sea Slug

OK, Ive looked at the dwarf angle option and I decided to rather not get any, as all the info Ive seen shows that a 125l (30g) is the ABSOLUTE minimum size tank for these fish. It also appears that, it would be the only fish I would be able to keep with out stressing or killing the other fish. So next is the midas, a very nice fish, but I'm planning to get one for my big tank and I don't want to have the same fish in both tanks. The royal gramma is a very nice fish but again looks very Territorial (correct me if I'm wrong) and something I would like to leave for the big tank. I don't like clarkiis at all (look), I don't know the scientific name for this fish but I love it, whats it like, how big a tank, is it hard to keep, can I get them.

[​IMG]

Thanks for suggesting the clown gobies,Warr , after looking them up, they ARE awesome. I personally like the green ones, but I will take yellow if I cant find a green. Has anyone had any experience with this nice fish. It says they can kill branching SPS in small tank, and if they breed they lay there eggs on the underside of the coral coursing resection. In good water quality the coral will be fine. But I don't think I will be keeping two as my tank is to small(opinion). They are defiantly something I would want to keep.

Gobiodon atrangulatus.
    [​IMG]

If I can have this fish what should I put it with, something vibrant, lively to add to the tanks look.

8. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Ocean: thats a black and white ocellaris. Same size etc as normal ocellaris clowns so well suited to a nano. If you like the clown goby also check out yellow gobies. I really like gobies and nice and small so you can keep a few of them ;)

Ocean likes this.
  9. Ocean

Thanks Matt, now the real question can keep both, 2 black and whites ocellaris and a green clown gobie in one tank or is that pushing it.

10. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

You can - just introduce the clowns LAST. Remember clowns are damsels. If you put all your other livestock in first and then add the clowns

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

No Ocean - not in a nano.... in a big tank - yes.

12. Monti

Monti

Also just note that those black clowns are pretty rare here in SA. In fact, Ive never seen one for sale

13. Ocean

I haven't seen either fish at a LFS in the last year and a half Ive been in reefing. I might add a skimmer if the LR really cant handle the bio load, but it would be a last resort. I want a ,simple, clean and tidy system.
    Here is my thought, which ever one comes first is the one I add, as they will be hard to get, but before that, I add two purple or red fire fish I don't know yet, opinion please. Then last as I don't think this will be pushing it a six line wrasse. Is a fish list of
    If I can get black clowns:
    -two black clowns
    -one six line wrasse
    -something else(please give suggestion)
    If I can get a green clown gobie:
    -two fire fish
    -one green clown gobie (or two but I need to hear from the gurus as this is allot)
    -one six line wrasse
    I made the list in the order I would add the fish, please tell me what you think.

14. Monti

Monti

6 line wrasse can be very aggro. I personally would not have one in my tank (but thats just me). However, if you do add, add it last.

15. Ocean

I would add him last as I do know how aggro they are, if he gets out of hand I will get rid of him, but I would like to take that chance as they are beautiful fish and they eat bugs, nudis, flatworms.

16. Warr7207

Warr7207

Rather go with shrimp gobies over the clown gobies cause you can get two no problem and they will live on the substrate, 6-Line in & out the reef and the clownfish will stay in one position depending which coral they take as their luck hosts. The firefish will finish it off as they are water column swimmers. So you have life at all levels of your tank.

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Try a Orchid Gramma Purple, not agro at all to other species, beautifull pink/purple colour. In and out the rock, kind of shy at first.

18. Ocean

I dont think I will be getting the shrimp gobies in the small tank, as I will be having them in the big tank and I dont want the same fish in both tank. I want to keep the shrimp gobie with his pistol shrimp and I want other shrimps in the small tank too. So two black clowns, fire fish and sixline would be a fine fish list. Please gurus tell me about the clown gobie, should I keep him, can I keep two.

19. moz

moz

I've got a green clown goby, they are great characters and I've never had any problems. It's made its home in a purple tip acro and abuses my chocolate tang every time the tang approaches the coral. The goby has not damaged any of my sps's.

20. moz

moz

I forgot, it is possible to keep pairs although when they spawn they clear a spot on an sps on which to lay there eggs. I would have got another but my LFS only had one and the person helping was not even aware they had any, I found it in the coral tank.:)

21. Ocean

Thanks moz

Recent Posts